Staying in Brooklyn

We are sailing next Saturday out of Brooklyn on the Regal Princess to New England ports as well as Halifax and ST. John. We currently have reservations at the LaQuinta on 3rd street arriving on Thursday. Does anyone know approximately what the cost from LaGuardia to the the LaQuinta would be and then from there to the Brooklyn Port? We also will be going in to NYC on Friday for Hello Dolly with Bette Midler. Hopefully it is not too hard to get from the La Quinta to the Schubert Theater on West 44st. Any suggestions? Is there a better place to stay (we can change through Wednesday)? This is our first time sailing out of NYC, although my husband was originally from CT (we live in Kentucky now), and we came into plays often when visiting my husband's parents.

Thoughts from anyone?

Joan

What are you paying for the hotel? It gets mixed reviews, but it sounds OK to me. It's a budget hotel in Brooklyn with free breakfast and good subway access, not the Four Seasons. It's also close to the port, so I'm sure you will find other cruisers staying there. How much more would you be willing to pay to change hotels?

The F train will take you to midtown in 25-30 minutes. From the 42nd & 6th Ave stop you can easily walk to the Schubert. Coming back the D train is also an option with a transfer to the R at Atlantic Ave. If you want to get closer to the Theater, you can transfer at W. 4th St to the A, C, E train to 42nd & 8th. http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

Others will tell you about the LGA to Brooklyn cab/car service costs. Please post your Thursday flight arrival time.

What are you paying for the hotel? It gets mixed reviews, but it sounds OK to me. It's a budget hotel in Brooklyn with free breakfast and good subway access, not the Four Seasons. It's also close to the port, so I'm sure you will find other cruisers staying there. How much more would you be willing to pay to change hotels?

The F train will take you to midtown in 25-30 minutes. From the 42nd & 6th Ave stop you can easily walk to the Schubert. Coming back the D train is also an option with a transfer to the R at Atlantic Ave. If you want to get closer to the Theater, you can transfer at W. 4th St to the A, C, E train to 42nd & 8th. http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

Others will tell you about the LGA to Brooklyn cab/car service costs. Please post your Thursday flight arrival time.

We actually get in early Thursday morning - by 10 am. Our rate is about $220 a night. Would prefer to not pay too much more. We have stayed at LaQuinta's before and been pleased with them even though, as you say they are not the Four Seasons. I am interested in safe area and good subway access, and ease to get to the port.

Thanks,

Joan

The Hotel is one Avenue south and right in the middle of two different stops on the 4th Ave underground subway R train. Walking to 4th Ave down 13th Street and then to 9th Street gives you the F option mentioned above. The F is elevated at this station and there is no escalator or elevator so there are several steps to climb, more then to the underground R train.

If taking the F note that the G, which does not go into Manhattan, all stops at the elevated station, make sure you are on the correct train. Another option with the F and if it is poor weather out is to take it four stops to Jay Street and cross platform transfer to the A train that runs up 8th Ave in Manhattan to get closer to the Theater getting off at 42nd Street Port Authority Bus Terminal stop and walking up 8th Ave and make a right on 44th Street, theater is on the north side of the 44th Street.

I think you have a good hotel reservation that meets your needs and I would keep it. No real reason to rearrange at the last minute.

What else are you going to do in Manhattan? It's only 8 stops on the R train to the World Trade Center area in downtown Manhattan. By the way don't underestimate the local R train - it wanders through Manhattan past many areas you might want to go to. http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

By the way don't underestimate the local R train - it wanders through Manhattan past many areas you might want to go to. http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

R - Broadway Line is the tourist line getting close to a lot of attractions but it is notoriously known to have large gaps in service as the entire line runs local in 3 boroughs (it crawls the wall). They don't call it the "rarely" for nothing. The other caution in Manhattan it shares the same track with the "W" on weekdays and that train does not go into Brooklyn on your return trip.

I think you have a good hotel reservation that meets your needs and I would keep it. No real reason to rearrange at the last minute.

What else are you going to do in Manhattan? It's only 8 stops on the R train to the World Trade Center area in downtown Manhattan. By the way don't underestimate the local R train - it wanders through Manhattan past many areas you might want to go to. http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

Thanks. We did the World Trade Center right after it opened (and were very moved by it. My husband is from CT originally and has several friends with tales of that day). We are going to be doing major sightseeing when we get back from our cruise.