Internet Quality On The Sapphire

donovan52

We’re booked on this ship in May of 2018, and was wondering what Internet speeds are like onboard. Is the old, slower than “dial up” system, or has Princess updated their services? Prices are pretty high for subpar speeds. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reg

I haven't cruised on the Sapphire yet but I *suspect* that it will be the old, slower-than-dialup speeds that we've all come to know and "love".

I'll find out for sure in a couple of weeks as I'm due to board the Sapphire for 10 days on 30 December. If we haven't received a definitive answer before then, I'll report back with my findings.

Along with your standard issues of number of people using web at any moment slowing the system, web service is satellite based. As you travel about the globe, some areas are slower than others and dead zones still exist. There is no simple answer

Those who signed up for internet complained it was extremely slow as well as expensive, however, that's the least you might have to worry about.Nearly everyone we spoke to was unhappy about their SP cruise that departed Hong Kong on 13th of November. Hope they have got their act together now because they hadn't then.

Those who signed up for internet complained it was extremely slow as well as expensive, however, that's the least you might have to worry about.Nearly everyone we spoke to was unhappy about their SP cruise that departed Hong Kong on 13th of November. Hope they have got their act together now because they hadn't then.

What were the issues they were unhappy about?

Endless queues to board tenders, collect passports, and at customer services for any enquiries. Disappointing food standards.... says something when most peoples most memorable meals were the take away pizza. Lack of availability of the full selection of drinks at all bars. 15% service charge on all drinks including plonking a can of beer on the counter and not even pouring it. Ship looking tired ( it is due a refit apparently) damage to wooden decking and deck carpeting, bits missing around the hot tubs, rust in evidence in many places. We had a large group of 600+ which didn't help matters as when they descended en mass it caused logistical problems and despite having two restaurants reserved specifically for them they weren't using them so anytime dining was thrown in to disarray. Poor quality entertainment, the majority aimed at raising revenues for the ship.

Probably the worst example of queue was the tender to Koh Samui. We waited 2 hours to get off the ship ( having not joined the queue until 2 hours after the announcement was made that transfers had begu as requested for non tour passengers) and one and a half in a queue to get back on a tender. Some waited longer. As the ship was due to leave early and the official last tender was 4.00pm it left no time to go anywhere on the island so basically a wasted visit.

I don't do Captain events but apparently at the last one the Captain apologised for all that had gone wrong.

Would I cruise with Princess again? Doubtful, very doubtful.

• 3 months later...
^^^^

We will be on Sapphire right after drydock at the end of March. Perhaps the hi speed internet, as now installed on the Regal, will be added then. Please ask if you get the opportunity.

We will be on the Sapphire in May and I wonder if you can report on whether the internet has been upgraded or on the speed/quality. Thanks!