Caribe Hilton or Hilton Condado Plaza?

Queenzena

We will need a hotel for 2 nights prior to our sailing on RCCL's Adventure of the Seas. I have plenty of Hilton Honors points and have narrowed the choices to the Caribe Hilton or the Condado Plaza. Any thoughts or recommendations? It's just DH and me. We want decent accommodations, near water and good restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Caribe Hilton before our 1/17 cruise on the Jewel. The hotel is a bit tired, but the view from our balcony was wonderful. Where it is situated isn't very good for walking to restaurants, etc. We took a taxi to the Wal-mart and back and it was $34 with tip.

We are going on the Jewel again 4/17 and we are staying at the Condado Plaza Hilton. It is just across from the Caribe, but I understand the location is better for pre-cruise shopping and restaurants.

Have stayed at all 3 of these hotels and enjoyed all 3. Here's the pro/con:

* Doubletree - east end of condado beach, cheapest rates of all three hotels; nice, but small pool area; very small rooms (think Europe style); 4 block walk to beach where hotel will set up their beach chairs; directly across from grocery store; around the corner from a few restaurants which are heavily visited by locals.

* Condado Plaza - hotel has two wings...one facing the Atlantic (rooms more expensive) and one across the road, which you access via an attached bridge to the main hotel, and is adjacent to the causeway (make sure you get the room you want). Nice pool area. Tennis courts. Small public accessed beach next to the hotel. 5-10 min walk to a number of downtown SJ restaurants, shops & Walgreens or CVS.

* Caribe Hilton - much more resort-like than previous two; lovely grounds spread out along a section of private oceanfront beach; swim-up bar; hammocks; tennis courts; fish feeding pier; a number of restaurants within the hotel and right next door at the new shopping complex; 10 min walk from hotel to go over the bridge and be at the Condado Plaza Hotel, which is a very easy and safe walk during the day. Bus stop outside the front entrance takes you into Old San Juan for about US$1 or so.

• 2 weeks later...