London countryside tours

Irina

I'm trying to decide between rabbies tour to oxford and

3 towns in the Cotswolds (Bampton, burford, and bilbury), or Golden tours to Stratford on Avon and 2 stops in the Cotswolds (Bilbury and bourton on the water). Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

It depends upon your interests! None would be a disappointment and each has something distinctive about it, as well as the obvious history, charm, beauty, architecture. Neither are they too far from London.

So...are you perhaps curious about Oxford University, not the only thing about Oxford but certainly something notable as well as the many acclaimed alumni, professors and students. Or maybe a fan of Shakespeare and the RSC might be keen on visiting Stratford upon Avon but again, that’s not all there is. The Cotswolds villages are a variety - each has something different but they all generally share one thing - stone - from the area with which most buildings were built. And they look like they’re from storybooks and movies, imperfect as some might be with a slanted wall or roof that didn’t quite settle right but which now only adds to the charm...plus, it’s still standing so, goof or no goof?

If you were meaning Bibury and Burford, I went to those two....I don’t have words. So glad I was there. If you did mean Bilbury...I’m sorry for the mixup. Cotswold Eagle will likely set things right. I was also at Fairford, Lechlede and Cirencester but it wasn’t an organized tour. And I’d honestly be glad if I were at Oxford or Stratford too but maybe that’s because I saw these villages?

I’d read a wee bit on these places’ history before deciding in order to make the best, most worthwhile choice so that you enjoy your tour. :)

Sorry, I missed this when first posted. To be honest, I don’t think the Cotswolds elements make much difference. All lovely, but very touristy, spots and likely to be not much more than photo opportunities at best.

So as Host B said, the choice really is Oxford or Stratford. I had a quick look online at what I think the tours are (links would have been useful!) and a few points:

- Rabbie’s seem to use small vans, which I would prefer - you are going to spend a lot of time driving

- Stratford is another hour or so beyond Oxford, so on that one the initial drive will be longer (a good two hours)

- the Stratford one appears to include entry to several Shakespeare sites - only value if you would want to visit them

- on the other hand, you seem to be left to your own devices in Oxford mostly, so may need to research what you want to see

- although both descriptions make it sound as if you are travelling through the beautiful Chilterns from London, I expect you will be doing so on a busy motorway!

If I had to choose one, I’d do Rabbie’s to Oxford. There are ways to DIY similar experiences, but the convenience of a tour may be attractive.

And yes, it will be Bibury, not Bilbury [emoji846]

Edited by Cotswold Eagle