French Barge Cruise in Canals (read sewer)

wilbar46

This trip was a delight this Spring with lilacs and rape fields abloom and welcoming apolitical French. So much exceeded our expectations, the name of the company and exact canal will not be named. CC boards have been invaulable in gathering information so I offer this under "I wish I had known."

The lower cabin deck smelled of sewage so bad we used the room only for sleeping. This odor continued for about half the cruise.

Toward the end, I commented to an "authority" that the trip was ideal except for the noxious odor and added the holding tank must have finally been emptied. I could not believe his response: that the canal was the holding tank! He added, "The French really should do something about that!"

Water flow slows because of the locks preventing the flushing effect. Where more boats gather, you have pollution.

All said, I would do it again but with a spray can of room deodorizer.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the same boat and it was soooo moldy. my Husband and I got so sick after the trip. Our room was just damp and wet. cruise was great otherwise and we had almost perfect weather...Loved the french cheeses.

We had water dripping down the walls at night. The staff told us to leave the doors open - which helped a lot. I guess when the room is almost under water it can get dampy. - We had no problems with mold - thank goodness.

Archived