"Elegant" dining nights on the caribbean cruises

travelmomof2

Will be cruising on the Vista over Christmas. First cruise, asked on a sub forum regarding the dress for 'elegant night' and was told it was mainly nicer casual (khakis/polos for men and sun dresses for the ladies) and maybe a handful of evening dresses and more of church wear. Being that we are cruising over Christmas I am wondering that 1) will there be a special christmas dinner on christmas or christmas eve (Christmas is a sea day) and 2) do people dress up more for the occasion? I am asking because I hate standing out. DH plans on a very nice suit with christmas tie, but I don't want to get all dolled up if everyone is wearing sundresses. More over, since it's the school holidays I expect more families (we have 2 teens) and maybe that makes it more casual? I'd like to fancy up for fun but not if it's out of place.

While the cruise wear is getting more casual during "non-formal" nights....There are still 2 cruise elegant nights on 7 day cruises. While some passengers will choose to dress casually on these nights (and yes you may see shorts being worn on these nights) many passengers still dress up fully. Women in particular seem to dress more formal even on some casual nights.

So don't worry about standing out...You will find a great aray of cruise wear being displayed/worn.

And to your question regarding a special dinner.... They may have some different items on menu for this occasion. But it won't be elaborate. We cruised on the Vista over Thanksgiving and other than having Tom Turkey and Pumpkin Pie on the menu that night...that was about it. Also...some people dressed up formally (I guess since it was a Holiday)...even though that night was not one of our 2 planned elegant nights