what to do in Vila.

kaseyoz

I am expecting Vila to be very similar to Noumea in that it is a larger city than just a beach. I think there will be tours there also. I was wondering what everyone did there. Shopping of course. Any special places to check out and what to buy besides alchol

We were at Vila in 9-00, aboard Sky Princess (now Pacific Sky).

One of the shore excursions was out to a plantation, owned by the son of a WW2 Coastwatcher, and site of a US airbase and US Naval hospital. All-in-all, interesting, particularly from the WW2 history aspect.

kasey

cascade waterfalls is very good. cheaper to pick up a taxi at the wharf and get them to take you there. arrange fare before you get in and they will wait for you at the falls and bring you back. pay when you come back that way they have to wait for you.

lots of market stalls on the wharf but cheaper souvenirs in first shop on left when you go into town. Vila consists mainly of one long street. Cheapest alcohol is at the very end on the left. They have a Prouds Jeweller, Electronic shops, Pubs, dress shops etc

My husband over the years bought all his sound equipment form Vila approx $200 cheaper than Sydney prices eacah time. I have bought beautiful watches there and perfume is cheaper here than on the boat.You can get lots of different things there. If yho are contemplating buying off ship shops eg camera, electronics etc check out the prices on board and compare when off the ship to get your bargain. If you are going to Noumea dont even tghink about souvenirs very costly there.

On one of our stops at Vila about 7 years ago we hired a local mini bus for the 8 of us to tour around the Island. It worked out heaps cheaper than booking a tour off the ship, I think it was about $10 each for a full day tour. We were actually in Vila overnight so booked it the day before. There were a heap of guys who were hanging around the wharf hoping to book out their vehicles for tours. Not sure if they still do this anymore. I have to admit it was one of most exciting (and slightly scary) adventures while cruising.

Firstly we made the mistake of booking the bus unseen and were surprised to find in the morning when we came ashore it was a little run down. Oh who am I kidding, it was a bomb. A few of the seats were broken, part of the rear bumper was missing, it was more dinted that a smash-em-up derby car and the guy had to stop to pick up a second hand spare tyre and put fuel in.

We then proceeded to travel around the island which I have to admit was great. It is an amazing island of contrasts. We saw the many things the Americans left after they flew out following the war including the houses (painted bright colours by the locals), the swimming pool (because the Americans were too afraid to swim in the ocean) and the coke bottles! We also saw a small fraction of the roof of an old tin mine that the jungle has reclaimed. We saw the local villages and heard stories about the problems they are having and the lives they lead. We stopped for a lovely lunch half way around the island at some resort.

Then came the fun stuff. You know how I mentioned he stopped and picked up a spare tyre, well thank God he did because on our way back to the ship we got a flat. We all then had to pile out of the van and stand around while he tried to change it. Of course he didn't want any help so we just stood there looking around and starting to worry that we would miss the sailing time. For those who want a chuckle my mum & cousin had to water a few local trees at this time and we got some entertaining photos (which I am not allowed to share!).

Finally the tyre was changed and we all climbed back in. Off we went again, only now we were going what felt like twice as fast and the driver was muttering to himself under his breath. We made it back to the wharf and quickly hurried aboard. I think we had time to spare but I am not sure. I can just remember being rushed back on to the ship. It wasn’t until we were back on board that my Aunt’s husband who was in the front of bus told us that the fuel gauge was on empty for the last 10kms or so. We guessed that the driver was going faster so he would get back before he ran out of fuel. I don’t know what we would have done if we had run out of fuel. We were out in the middle of nowhere and most of us aren’t particularly fit so it would have been a long walk!

All in all it was an adventure we still joke about. Every time we arrive in Vila someone will bring up that bus trip! Now we usually just catch one of the many little shuttle buses into town (about $2 per person) or hire a taxi (about $10 per taxi). We do a heap of shopping picking up most of our souvenirs. We always have a drink and fat fats (hot chips) at the Olympic snack bar in the middle of town. And of course we buy our duty free. We have also caught the free ferry across to Irri Rikki Island. When you get there you understand why the ferry is free because you will need all the money you have just to buy a drink! It is a nice little trip though and they have a great dive shop on the island.

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Have to laugh Chaz, when we went last time to Vila we got a taxi driver who was a maniac. same thing with the seats. Just crap. What we had a laugh at was that some of the boms they "drive", the doors were stuck to the side of the cars with 'duck tape'. What a hoot. And they also don't have any laws with regard to how many people are hanging out of the cars. They were hanging out the doors and over the sides of the back of the utes and standing on the side step thingy on some of the vans!!!! Just wish I'd had the video going at the time..!!!

Kerri

Thats sounds really scary but very funny to look back on. It reminds me of the tour I did at Poum recently on a bus. Not quite as scary as your tour but, the bus was very old and they told us because it was overcast that if it rained we would have to come straight back as we were going to the Nickel mining area and the soil we would be travelling on could just slip away and the bus would fall in a deep gouge. So it started raining when we were nearly at the top and we kept going a while, my friend and I were getting a bit worried, then a the top of ahill the bus stalled and just started rolling down the hill till they could get it started again.We made our way back in the rain down curvy hills thinking the ground could fall away but we made it, funny to think back now.That was only a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for your story.

We done a tour of the Botanical gardens which was a waste of money. We were in these really old falling apart buses which seated 7 people. We got the driver to drop us into town on the way back and we done some shopping. It saved us $10 as it cost $2 per person in a taxi so we had 5 of us. Only than had to pay the $10 back to the ship. I didnt feel safe int he taxis as my son who is 2 1/2 wasnt allowed to sit in a booster or anything.

Apart from that the hubby and 2 girls went on the Jetboat which they loved. Said it wasnt fast enough but alot of fun. I liked Vila even thought it was dirty.

good to see you back on the boards Anissa, how are things going for you. Has the dizziness settled down yet.

I was hoping for an advenure type of tour similar to the tree to tree they have in Noumea as we will have two 16 year old boys.

with there being 8 of us (our friends have been there twice before to the resorts not on a cruise) we thought that maybe getting a private tour would be best

Having been to both Vila and Noumea and going again to both next month :) , I'd have to say that Vila is much more laid back and the shopping is much better. Shopping is Noumea is dear whereas the grog and smokes in Vila are better prices than available in Australian Duty Free. Perfume, after shave etc wasn't that cheap in Vila and I found it cheaper in the ship's boutique than in the stores in Vila.

On our last visit to Vila we did the Hideaway Island tour offered by P&O. Snorkelling was great fun even if the reef was not great following cyclone damage.

Apparently the bars in Vila can be pretty wild when the ships come in hence the warnings about ship departure times. When we were there one of the bars had a competition where pax are shot down the length of the bar and then given drinks. Unfortunately one person was dropped, broke their arm and had to be medivacced back to Brisbane.:eek:

I have a strong recollection of that wind on that last morning as we got up early at 5.15am to watch us come back into sydney harbour. Boy was that wind strong. next time i will do what others did and that is wrap one of the cabins blankets around me.

As to having hair braided- looks great on young girls , but i am older and also have short hair!!!

Archived