SS Normandie fans -- assistance wanted

Lisa63

I know this is not Cunard-related, but as we have a number of liner fans on this board, I'd like your help in reviving an old thread on SS Normandie memorabilia in New York.

We had a thread going at one point in which we mapped out a trail through NYC where items from SS Normandie are located. This thread is one that didn't make it over during the conversion. Anyway, as I am going to New York on business about 2 months from now, I'd like to see as much as possible.

The only stop I remember from the old thread was the Normandie Court apartment complex on E 95th Street, which has some original artwork in the lobby.

Any others? Your help is much appreciated. :)

I'm sure I won't remember them all, but the bronze doors to the first class dining room are now in use at Our Lady of Lebanon church in Brooklyn, and the lacquer panels created by Jean Dunand and/or Dupas were installed in the cafeteria at the Metropolitan Museum (though there's been lots of renovation going on there recently). I'm sure there are more in the NY area.

For those flying into or out of SF International Airport, stop in the International Terminal where there are hundreds of Normandie items, including lacquer panels, furniture, uniforms, china, paper ephemera, etc., currently on display through December.

Lisa:

Part of the South Street Seaport Museum is The Walter Lord Gallery. There is a wonderful collection of linerania including models and ephemera ... and the burned wheel from NORMANDIE's bridge. In the same area (just ask someone), is the Seaman's Institute; in the lobby is the bell from NORMANDIE ... I just had to ring it (I think I ticked off the grumpy guy at the desk). When you walk in, just tell 'em you're just there to look at the bell.

BTW, KenW, nice to see your name again.

Russ

Archived