News Article - Cruiser Says Company Should Pay Medical Expenses

LuckiePuris

Angered by cruise ship bill

AN Australian who came violently ill while on a world cruise is furious after his credit card was automatically debited more than $1200 by an onboard doctor.

Antony Kazinoti, from Rowville in Melbourne, fell ill with what he believes was food poisoning during a 26-day cruise from Dubai to Sydney on the Dawn Princess and said the company should take responsibility for his medical expenses.

...http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/antony-kazinoti-angered-by-cruise-ship-bill/story-e6frfq80-1225806839311

I am pretty sure that travel insurance would have covered this medical bill.

Yes, the amount would be charged to him onboard the cruise, but he could then make a claim with the travel insurer.

hi luckie, i'm sure his travel insurance would have covered his bill.....he is just a winger, how often has someone eaten something and it didnt agree with them

rkmw

hi luckie, i'm sure his travel insurance would have covered his bill.....he is just a winger, how often has someone eaten something and it didnt agree with them

rkmw

Thanks for confirmation Rkmw, I was pretty sure travel insurance covered these sorts of things! :)

If he genuinely had food poisoning and it was contracted on the ship he has a case.

However, like previous posters I feel he is drawing a very long bow here.

He should have had travel insurance as has been stated.

Either that or he should have drunk more Rum, which will just about kill anything. :D:p

The article says he had travel insurance.

However, there are timing claim limits so I can quite easily imagine he took the issue where it seemed to lie, P&O took a long time to get back to him, and then when they did with a refusal, the insurers said it was too late to put a claim in as well. And then from that, he decided to take it to the papers.

It's one of those pieces with 2 sides to the story, so it's not clear what it was caused by.

On our 28 day cruise we often took food back to our cabin... Just in case we got hungry .... I know a lot of other people do as well. So there is always the chance of maybe something in their own fridge that wasnt quite up to par.. I know I wouldnt be eating a rotten necterine.. thats just silly. Finally if u wouldnt claim that on travel insurance that is just silly too..

Icy

What happens if you get Nourovirus(SP) aboard?

Do you have to pay for your own doctors bills even though it was the ship that gave it to you?

Den

I think something like this would be at the ship's discretion whether they decide to charge you the doctors bill or not.

On one of my cruises, we had very bad weather, weren't allowed on deck for a day and many people were sea sick. Because of the number of passengers needing to see the doctor, P&O did not charge these passengers for seeing the doctor.

With something like Norovirus, I would assume that if a lot of people are sick from it, they may decide to waive the medical fees. But would still recommend everyone has travel insurance before travelling which would cover medical bills incase they are not covered by the cruise line.

Archived