Help for Vila Kids

Sandielle

I believe the children in Vila and surrounding villages need school supplies badly. Rather than try to give individual children books and pencils etc, because some would be bound to miss out, is there an organisation/service club which arranges for stuff to go to schools?

I know about Chrissy at Vila wharf, who needs medical supplies for the hospital, but don't know about the kids. I would rather not give them lollies as they can't be good for them.

Oxymoron, when you next visit here, I would like some information from GENUINE posters, please.

If anyone who has been to Vila knows of a welfare agency there, I'd appreciate it if you tell me where it is.

TIA :)

Hey enod what ever,

What is your problem.

Most people on this site are civil, why can't you be.

I suspect you are the same person who posts under all sorts of stupid names and who can't even post a message in a form of English that most people can understand.

A member posts a query re assisting the kids of Vila.

A very simple well meaning query.

If you can't give a sensible, helpfull reply, just shutup and don't respond.

I see enough of stupid responses like this on aviation websites

I don't think we need them there.

Mike

I have given the right place to go to and the info to right place to go to, if you want to get things in to these countries then you have use the right people to do so other wise just look at the back the wharf at villa and see what happens when you dont use the right people to get things into villa.

ps have you got any better idea,s ?

Hmmm let's see

1. you have made very negative statements about the OP in a very public manner

2. you continue to use language that is offensive on this thread and many others

So now let's do the math

1 + 2 = a very childish display of poor behaviour from you.

Therefore people do not know how to take anything you say anymore. I guess it is up to you but I have wonder why you keep this behaviour up?

Hi Sandy,

Two years ago we were on Pentecost Island and witnessed the conditions there.

The kids from the local school had their plate out for donations. We chipped in with $10, and thought "well done", then were really put back in our box when an Australian couple put in $1000.

I kid you not, I saw it right front of me.

Later we got talking to two young girls about 11 or 12 yrs old and they could speak 3 languages!!!

I can speak one.

And we look down on them!!!.

So, to cut out the rubbish, I also would like to know how we can help these kids and hospitals.

As P&O make a lot of money out of these areas (via us), can they help us to help these people.

What do you Pacific cruisers think.

I don't know.

Can we get something started here in conjunction with P&O.

Any thoughts.

Rgds/Mike (hilifta)

Hi Sandy,

Two years ago we were on Pentecost Island and witnessed the conditions there.

The kids from the local school had their plate out for donations. We chipped in with $10, and thought "well done", then were really put back in our box when an Australian couple put in $1000.

I kid you not, I saw it right front of me.

Later we got talking to two young girls about 11 or 12 yrs old and they could speak 3 languages!!!

I can speak one.

And we look down on them!!!.

So, to cut out the rubbish, I also would like to know how we can help these kids and hospitals.

As P&O make a lot of money out of these areas (via us), can they help us to help these people.

What do you Pacific cruisers think.

I don't know.

Can we get something started here in conjunction with P&O.

Any thoughts.

Rgds/Mike (hilifta)

I think helping is a great idea however I think it needs to be done in the right manner. I know that many of the donations to Africa do not make it into the areas it is needed and worse still it can be used to bribe those that need it to do jobs of crime or provided sexual favors. So I would really check that what ever you do will get to the people who need it.

Having said that i do not know of any organisations that may help.

Well why are you so horrible to me when I've done nothing to you? People who truly want to help others are not unkind to anyone, yet you deliberately attack my integrity and harass me almost daily.

You say you are in Rotary. Rotarians do not act as you have been doing.

Therefore I find I cannot believe anything you say, so I usually ignore your posts.

Yatchet, see what he says. He just tries to turn it back. Everyone knows I ignore him most of the time and he deliberately lies. I don't believe he helps anyone but himself. Just ignore him.

I'm sorry I posted about the Vila kids. He has to spoil everything. I'll find another way. Chrissy at the wharf would probably give books/pencils to the appropriate people - she takes supplies for the hospital.

We have taken books pencils etc to Wala several times,

what you say is correct sandielle, I felt for the other kids that missed out.

That was my whole reason for this thread. I want to take things to the right place.

Well, I have woken up to a good sight, that clown has had his posts removed.

Maybe we get back to the original suggestion, which is a very admirable one.

Of all the countries we visit in the Pacific, Vanuatu is our favourite and we love the people.

So, what can we do. Is there a person on this site who lives in Sydney and has the necessary "nous", who could approach P&O and see if they could help us.

After all on our last cruise they were auctioning the cruise chart with proceeds to help the people of Haiti. Some airline like Emirates or Singapore have official charities/causes that they help.

With the amount of business that P&O Aust does in Vanuatu can we collectively encourage them to support something similar.

With the base of their business and this site being Australia and New Zealand we could all join in.

So, just some thoughts from me.

What do you all think.

And Sandy, don't get discouraged, it is a fantastic idea.

Rgds/Mike

Well why are you so horrible to me when I've done nothing to you? People who truly want to help others are not unkind to anyone, yet you deliberately attack my integrity and harass me almost daily.

You say you are in Rotary. Rotarians do not act as you have been doing.

Therefore I find I cannot believe anything you say, so I usually ignore your posts.

Actually he was right about Rotary having Donations in Kind, I was a Rotarian and they do have that scheme, Rotary does a lot of work in the Pacific, including sending old hospital equipment, beds etc and doing work with schools.

This is a link for Rotary District 9630 which covers a lot of Brisbane and out west. http://www.rotary9630.org/ I had a look quickly and couldn't find any info about Donations in Kind.

I don't agree with the way he is harassing you, I just wish they could stop him posting.

Last year folks from our roll call took lots of school stationary to the Rabaul children. We gave everything to the elders ( who performed a dance for us at the wharf) for distribution. They were so thankful.

Also in Rabaul while on an excursion, we gave Chuppa Chups to the children. As they had never seen them, we had to show them how to take the wrappers off . Their smiles were priceless.

Sandielle, I'm sure the children on Wala will be very grateful re your donations.:)

Cheers,

Anna

Thanks Mike. As has been said, you want to get stuff to the right place. Also it needs to be items they need and I have read somewhere they do need school supplies. (I have read that Chrissy, an elderly Aust. lady sits at the wharf and takes donations of medical equipment/supplies for the hospital.)

Anyway, I know someone in Rotary who I emailed last night and was told it would be best to get in contact with them and they will let you know what is needed where and the best way to get it to them, keeping in mind Customs requirements. Therefore I will do that and post the info when I get it.

Cheers

Sandy

The Uniting Church (I think Tea Tree Gully or near there in Adelaide) have a program where they have opened a school in Bali and continue to support it with equipment and donations. People from the Church regularly visit the school for a week or so at a time and do voluntary work there and assist in any way they can. I think it is risky to just make donations to people on the wharf or at other locations in Vanuatu as there is no way known as to what happens to the donations. We only have to look at the donations in recent times for the Bali Bombing victims, the Tsunami disasters and the Victoria Bushfires where much of the money donated went to the huge administration organisations and not to the victims. I think what you are proposing Sandy is very admirable but it would be such a pity if people donated only to not know if the donations reached the intended people in need. I hope someone can come up with a reputable organisation that can deliver any donations to the people in need.

Good on you Sandy

Johndon

I agree with you Johndon, but several people elsewhere have vouched for Chrissy. She is mostly given supplies such as bandaids, antiseptic cream, bandages etc I think. But that's why I don't like to give money to just anyone - it NEVER seems to get to the right place.

We certainly don't have a plentiful supply of money and happily go without other things so that we can cruise. That's why I thought school needs would be great - and to actually hand them to the right people so they get to where they are needed.

Hi everyone, on our upcoming cruise (ooh I like the sound of that) we are not going to Vanuatu , but are going to Isle of Pines and Emerald Bay.

In another thread I was told that the schools in New Caledonia are comparitively well resourced and school supplies are not needed. My 7yo son is still keen on giving small gifts to the local kids (he can't wait to meet them). Any suggestions as to what they would like or need.

Jenny

we took some nice hair ties, small brushes, tennis balls.check out the $2 shop for ideas. Lots of people were giving them those little koalas and lolly pops and lolly bags.

remember also they have ships arriving several times a week so try for something unusual.

I agree with Sean and a frew others on here, Sandy. Do not let this fool get to you. He is harrassing you and by threatening to post photos etc to prove his point he is very close to meeting the criteria for defamation. Yes defamation laws do cover web blogs. People have taken action against other through Facebook so this site would not be any different.

We are lucky that we have a moderator that tries his best to stop this occuring but ultimately this person is responsible for his own behaviour and it may come back and bite him one day.

Archived