why did my scooter die?

searoses

used scooter for first time last week in bermuda. the directions said to charge it every night. i needed the outlet for something else at night and the scooter always said it was charged. we charged it 2-3 hours per day. the last shore day i took it off the ship for the first time and it stopped working properly with the dial constantly changing from red to green after only 30 min. took me a long hr to get back to the ship. my common sense says i should have found a way to charge it every night regardless of what the dial said...any advice?

used scooter for first time last week in bermuda. the directions said to charge it every night. i needed the outlet for something else at night and the scooter always said it was charged. we charged it 2-3 hours per day. the last shore day i took it off the ship for the first time and it stopped working properly with the dial constantly changing from red to green after only 30 min. took me a long hr to get back to the ship. my common sense says i should have found a way to charge it every night regardless of what the dial said...any advice?

I have a Pride 3 wheel scooter and have to charge it all night after using it for the day, 2-3 hours is not enough no matter what the dial says, wait until the charger indicates it is full.

We were in Atlantic City last year and went all the way up/ down the boardwalk and it took ALL night to charge it, all depends on use and user weight

Were you using the charge meter on the Tiller ( handles) to determine the charge value or the lights on the charger itself ? Sounds like you were using the charger meter .

There are several different types of chargers depending on the brand and type of scooter. Regardless of what the charge meter on the tiller may be showing , the charger should never be unplugged until it shows a bright green light. Some chargers have one light that turns that cycles from red to orange to yellow than green when charging. Others chargers have two lights one red showing it's charging and the a green light pops on rwhen the batteries are fully charged.

Given that you were probably using the scooter all day, 2-3 hours was not enough time to fully charge the scooter. Therefore you were probably unplugging the charger before the light turned green showing that the batteries were completely charged.

Another important thing to note is that when turning on the scooter and not moving, the scooter charge meter on the tiller generally shows a full charge value. It's not until you turn the scooter to full speed and drive it about 50 feet that the real charge value appears. If a scooter is not probably charged it can go from being in the green meter field to red in a very short time.

Bottom line the scooter appears to note have been properly charged each night.

I totally agree wth the advice from xxoocruiser and would add. Bring a power board with you so you can recharge more than one thing at once, or get a power board from reception if the line prefers you to use theirs - take your own to be sure - pack it in your luggage not your carry on so someone officious does not confistcate it. You do need to allow an overnight to recharge after a days use pottering about the ship. If it is your own scooter reread the instructions about battery charging and follow them - this will preserve the life of your battery. We always take our scooter in for a "service" before a cruise and have the battery life checked. We did need to replace one after four years daily running and recharging and are probably due for a replacement this yearl Happy scooting Colleen

One thing I learned the hard way----Scooter batteries can build up a "memory" if they're not charged properly, or if you charge it too much if you didn't wear the battery down enough. Another problem I recently encountered was a tiller problem where it showed that the battery wasn't charged, but in reality there was a problem with the indicator light, so I was overcharging the battery.

Belkin Mini Surge Protector Dual USB Charger

Plug scooter in one outlet and the belkin in the other.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Mini-Surge-Protector-Charger/dp/B0015DYMVO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1343478667&sr=8-4&keywords=electrical+outlet+belkin

Thanks for the link, just what I was looking for 1 for me and 1 for DD going to Radford.

Archived