New scooter user

RichP

Hello

I just booked a Princess cruise with a HC room and reserved a scooter from Special Need at Sea.

How long is the power cord on a standard scooter?

I don't think there are too many outlets in the cabins and the cabins are not to big.

Would it be wise to bring a small extension cord?

The scooter has a nine mile range and I guess this will get me thru a normal day w/o a problem. Will it get a full charge overnight?

Hello

I just booked a Princess cruise with a HC room and reserved a scooter from Special Need at Sea.

How long is the power cord on a standard scooter?

I don't think there are too many outlets in the cabins and the cabins are not to big.

Would it be wise to bring a small extension cord?

The scooter has a nine mile range and I guess this will get me thru a normal day w/o a problem. Will it get a full charge overnight?

Not familiar with outlet locations on Princess. Generally speaking the charger cord should be long enough to reach the outlet which is generally located somewhere on or near the desk.

Most cruise lines ban passengers from bringing extension cords as it's a potential fire hazard since the cruise line can't be certain of the condition of the extension cord brought on by passengers. The cruise line have also been known to confiscate it. Should you need and extension cord contact the cabin stewart and one will be provided.

The 9 mile range is only an average claimed and NOT AN ACTUAL. Actual mileage will vary based several things such as the persons weight and the speed setting it's being driven ...rabbit -high setting uses more power than does the turtle low setting. Also riding conditions impacts actual mileage . For example uphill inclines use up a lot of power as does driving on carpeted areas. Provided you plug the charger in each night and do not unplug it until the morning after the charger light has turned "GREEN" the scooter will be fully charged.

There's a pocket on the back of the scooter seat. I highly recommend that you pack the charger in that pocket so that you have it in the event you need to do a quick mini charge when out and about. Though you probably won't be anywhere long enough to have it fully charge, a quick 1 hour charge can make all the difference to driving it back to your cabin rather than having to push it. Generally speaking you should not have to charge it during the day.

On most of the Princess ships (except the very smallest) you should be able to park your scooter up against the desk/dresser and be able to charge the battery, plugging it into the outlet there. If for some reason you can't, then your room steward can, as was mentioned, provide you with a 25 foot extension cord.

When I cruise I prefer the beds separated. If they are, then to leave the cabin, back up into the empty space between the beds, then exit in the other direction and you are going out forward. It is reasonably easy to enter and exit the cabin on your own once you are used to it, assuming you can swing the door wide when you open it.

If you have an oceanview or balcony cabin, the elevator will be right across the hall from you, convenient indeed. Most passengers are courteous to wheelchair passengers, I've found. If there is enough room, but the passengers are all lined up along the back, I usually ask nicely, if "you." pointing to the one I mean, "could move over there for me." They always have. Just be careful as you back out of the elevator (I try to make a tight turn as I exit) because some elevators open near a set of downward stairs. That could be a bumpy ride indeed.

If you want more info, and are travelling on either Sapphire or Golden Princess, I would be glad to give you more specific help.

M.

Thanks for all the great info.

I guess the bottom line is that the cabin stewards have been thru this many times and will assist with any problems

We will be in an inside room, Lido deck on the Emerald Princess not near the elevator but I can send my wife out to block the path.

We always use a queen bed but it might be easier with the twins.

How do you get the scooter off the ship in ports?

Has anyone been to Grand Turk with a Scooter? Is there anything close to pier to scoot to?

I guess none of thel tours will possible with a scooter. I use a walker at home but that would make for a long tour day.

I guess the bottom line is that the cabin stewards have been thru this many times and will assist with any problems

We will be in an inside room, Lido deck on the Emerald Princess not near the elevator but I can send my wife out to block the path.

How do you get the scooter off the ship in ports?

Has anyone been to Grand Turk with a Scooter? Is there anything close to pier to scoot to?

I guess none of thel tours will possible with a scooter. I use a walker at home but that would make for a long tour day.

This link may answer some of your questions http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp#Passengers_Special_Needs

How do you get the scooter off the ship in ports? You can just drive it off. Returnung, you can drive it on and if your battery is low you may need some help pussing it up the ramp.

Has anyone been to Grand Turk with a Scooter? Is there anything close to pier to scoot to? Yes Grand Turk is very scooter frienly. Nice walkways all around.

Hope this helps.

Princess ships usually have two outlets. One at the desk and one under the shelf at the entrance. Last Princess cruise we also found one behind the tv. We have brought a power strip with an auto shut off so we could charge scooter, camera, laptop etc. my scooter, a Pride GoGo can also be charged with the battery only. We park scooter out of way and charge the battery separately. We havent cruised in an inside, but the oceanview and balcony cabins have enough room to turn scooter around as does the bathroom.

Hope you have a great cruise!!

Archived