Left Luggage - Frankfurt - Help Please

sprinkles

Hello all, I know there are no cruise ships docking in Frankfurt, but with all the German locals on this board, I'm hoping someone can help and this is part of a cruise. I am cruising from US to London, after a couple of days in London, then flying from London to Frankfurt for an 11 night bus tour with VERY limited luggage around Germany. How easy and or difficult would it be for me to fly into Frankfurt (on Lufthansa from London) and store a suitcase in one of the left luggage storage facilities and then pick it back up 11 days later for my flight back home to the US on Lufthansa?

Where are these left luggage storage places anyway - before security - inside security? Am I likely to be coming into and out of different terminals as I am going home on the big airbus A380-800? I know this will all be expensive - for ALL of my flights except for Lufthansa between London and Frankfurt, I have a two checked bag allowance (as far as I can tell - Lufthansa will charge me 75 euro for an extra suitcase - or I just might make it a rolling carry-on - which I am not allowed to take on the bus tour).

Please don't judge and just tell me to take less. This is a big trip for me, besides it being my first solo cruise (so I won't have dh's suitcase to help stuff things in) a big part of this trip for me is Germany where I know I will want to SHOP. My Mother was born there and in the past few years I have lost her as well as my Grandparents and this will be my first trip there ever. Plus being my first solo cruise, I know I will feel more comfortable being able to "dress" as I normally do on a cruise. The other option I am considering is to ship a suitcase home from London? Thoughts, suggestions.

Thanks,

Tammy

If you are staying in a hotel in Frankfurt immediately before your bus tour, you could ask the hotel to hold on to your case.

You say the coach tour has only limited luggage capacity but I think it would be worth talking with them.assuming you are using the same coach each day it ought not to affect them if you add in a case that does not need to be unloaded each night.

How easy and or difficult would it be for me to fly into Frankfurt (on Lufthansa from London) and store a suitcase in one of the left luggage storage facilities and then pick it back up 11 days later for my flight back home to the US on Lufthansa?

Where are these left luggage storage places anyway - before security - inside security? Am I likely to be coming into and out of different terminals as I am going home on the big airbus A380-800?

No, if your flight to Frankfurt and your flight from Frankfurt are both on Lufthansa, you'll be in the same terminal (Terminal 1) for both flights.

The luggage storage facilites should be very easy to find. See this page: http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/content/frankfurt_airport/en/checkin_luggage/luggage_neu/storage.html#fratab_d339764.

You may be helped by the maps here and here.

OK, I've just measured every piece of luggage I own and think I am getting closer to a plan. Yes, the total complete obvious answer would be to store a suitcase at my hotel in Frankfurt before and after the bus tour. However, Globus (not slamming them, I haven't used them yet) says that my hotels can be changed at any minute, so even if I pre-arranged with my "planned" arrival hotel in Frankfurt to store a piece of luggage, that hotel could be changed without my knowledge at anytime.

After looking at all my luggage, I am leaning towards one suitcase (with a very flat foldable bag that could be checked for my flight home or used as my carry-on going home) and my rolling carry-on.

I could leave London with the rolling carry-on stuffed with formal/cruise clothes/shoes, etc and take that on the Lufthansa flight hopefully without additional charges (knowing there could be a charge for possibly being over the 8kg weight allowance for hand baggage). Then store that bag at the left luggage in Frankfurt.

Globaliser you are always so helpful - so please help me here (or anyone with the answer). So I land at Frankfurt and go to the left luggage in Terminal 1. There is one on B concourse for arrivals and one between b and c for departures - ARE THEY BOTH OUTSIDE OF SECURITY? It may sound dumb, my guess is that they would have to be.

My thought would be to go to the one for departures and store my bag there. Then when going home, if necessary I could expand it and add to it, then making it a checked bag. Anyone have a clue as to how far apart this would be from the Lufthansa check-in counter?

Thanks for the help and for not judging - believe me - I AM planning on bringing less then usual for the cruise. I have only ever been on one bus tour, but they were not as strict with the luggage allowance. Globus has changed their rules and they are VERY specific - one 50 lbs suitcase and 1 small backpack on the bus.

Thanks,

Tammy

So I land at Frankfurt and go to the left luggage in Terminal 1. There is one on B concourse for arrivals and one between b and c for departures - ARE THEY BOTH OUTSIDE OF SECURITY? It may sound dumb, my guess is that they would have to be.
Yes.

Almost by definition, they must be outside security. These facilities are intended for people to store bags which would be checked bags when they fly. Checked bags often contain things that aren't allowed past the security checkpoint (knives, big containers of liquids). Therefore the storage facilities must be outside security.