Car Rental Out of Port of Miami

HolyCityGamecock

There's been some discussion on a similar issue on the Florida boards. Most of the major car rental agencies are out of MIA. There are 2 I know of in downtown Miami--Avis and Enterprise. Avis describes that agency as a Cruise port shuttle agency. You can google them or go out to Avis website and get information or contact regarding picking up at port. You'll probably need to contact Enterprise directly about shuttles. In Florida, there should be no issues regarding point-to-point (one way) rentals. So provided they can pick you up and you don't have to take a taxi to MIA to get a car, you can rent there.

One issue you may have to decide is tolls. Tolls in South Florida are via license plate, although there are still some cash pay booths around. You can go from downtown Miami to FLL via I-95 and not worry about tolls. You can go to beaches in FLL or along the coast from Miami and not have to worry about tolls. But if you are heading inland or planning on going to the Everglades or points south of Miami, you might encounter tolls.

So our April 17 cruise gets back on the 21st. Our flight isnt till like 8pm in FLL. Is it possible to rent a car, have a shuttle from the car rental place pick us up at the Port of Miami, then we just return the car later that day? Thanks!

We have done that before with Alamo and it was very easy and affordable.

We landed at FLL, rented a car, returned the car to MIA and took the free shuttle to the Port of Miami. Did everything in reverse when we got off the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What time do you recommend I put for the shuttle to come if the ship gets back at 8am?

First cruise: Carnival Victory, 4/17/2017

You don't need to line up a shuttle at the port. They will be there waiting for you. They will have hundreds of people doing the same thing you want to do and will have shuttles running continuously all morning. I was one of the first people off the ship at about 7:30 on our last cruise and the shuttle was there waiting.

Make sure you have your reservation handy as the driver will ask to see it. Otherwise there would be lots of people using it as a free shuttle to the airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All of the major rental car companies have shuttles to and from at least one of their offices as follows:

Alamo / National / Enterprise (select location code MIA or Miami Airport) - uses the Miami airport location

Thrifty / Dollar (select location code Miami Cruise Ship - Shuttle) - They also use the same counter as the Miami airport location

Hertz (select Miami - Port of Miami) - uses the 229 Southeast 2nd Street location

Budget (location code P2F) - uses the 89 SE 2nd St location

Avis (location code Q8M) - uses the 99 SE 2nd St location