Best time to take pool diving courses

07rubicon

I will be going in April on a Princess cruise. We have signed up for the certification program and chosen to do our PADI course and pool dives locally and open dives on our trip. I wanted to start now to make sure I can do this but my husband thinks we should wait. The local dive shop is very flexible and is willing to do as many pool dives as necessary to make me feel very comfortable and ready. Yes I am very nervous. My DH has done a resort dive before and is excited not worried.

I'm not sure where you live but does your dive shop have an indoor pool? Many of them do. If they are willing to work with you most anytime, then do it in March. That way it's close enough to the cruise that you won't forget everything. Good Luck.... You'll enjoy it. :D

I agree with Bruce. I just passed the pool skills right before Christmas. It took 3 different times in the pool for me to get comfortable enough to be able to complete the skills. I have issues with anxiety about not feeling like I can breathe easily. My instructor allowed me to use her Scubapro MK25/S600 after my first pool experience seeing the difficulty I was having. It for me made alot of difference, but it was mind over matter for my fears. We are doing our open dives at the end of the month in Key Largo. I'm very thankful that she is a very patient instructor who wants everyone to succeed! I'm glad I had all the extra time to pass my pool skills. Not everyone is comfortable in one day!

If I can do this, I'm convinced anyone can and I'm excited about diving! Good luck and have a great time!

I agree with Bruce. I just passed the pool skills right before Christmas. It took 3 different times in the pool for me to get comfortable enough to be able to complete the skills. I have issues with anxiety about not feeling like I can breathe easily. My instructor allowed me to use her Scubapro MK25/S600 after my first pool experience seeing the difficulty I was having. It for me made alot of difference, but it was mind over matter for my fears. We are doing our open dives at the end of the month in Key Largo. I'm very thankful that she is a very patient instructor who wants everyone to succeed! I'm glad I had all the extra time to pass my pool skills. Not everyone is comfortable in one day!

If I can do this, I'm convinced anyone can and I'm excited about diving! Good luck and have a great time!

I echo Bruce and texswamper. If you need extra time, take it... Your the only one that needs it.... I needed some extra time due to could not for the life of me, get clearing my mask down.... Go figure. It took a month of classes for us but that was our structure.... And ask your instructor when you should start. They might be the best judge.....

Thanks for the responses

Texswamper please post after your open dives. I keep telling myself this is mind over matter.

I was given the PADI books but no DVD is it online or should I ask the dive shop.

They have an indoor pool so I will give them a call and start soon

Our instructor/dive shop allowed us to check out the video when I purchased our books. We read the chapter and then watched the video. I thought the video was a helpful resource to coincide with the book.

I will definitely let you know how the open water dives go. I'm excited but also nervous. I'm determined to overcome my anxiety and enjoy diving for many years. My instructor was soooo patient that she and I went to the pool the second time by ourselves and she told me at the beginning that our only goal for the day was to have fun and not worry about skills. But after about 45 minutes of just swimming around on the bottom and relaxing, getting comfortable with breathing, I decided to try some skills and did a few succussfully. December 19th we went back to the pool to try and finish and after a full day in the pool, I PASSED!

You may find that you don't have any anxiety or fear when you start, but if you do, hopefully you will work through it and conquer it. I know I was so proud of myself when I finished that day in the pool. I'll report back when we return on Feb. 5th. Best wishes!

Safe diving is all about reducing stress. Dive pros are not going to rush training as we are trained to watch for any signs of stress. JFYI, shops will typically let you practice as much as you need in their pool.

Our instructor/dive shop allowed us to check out the video when I purchased our books. We read the chapter and then watched the video. I thought the video was a helpful resource to coincide with the book.

I will definitely let you know how the open water dives go. I'm excited but also nervous. I'm determined to overcome my anxiety and enjoy diving for many years. My instructor was soooo patient that she and I went to the pool the second time by ourselves and she told me at the beginning that our only goal for the day was to have fun and not worry about skills. But after about 45 minutes of just swimming around on the bottom and relaxing, getting comfortable with breathing, I decided to try some skills and did a few succussfully. December 19th we went back to the pool to try and finish and after a full day in the pool, I PASSED!

You may find that you don't have any anxiety or fear when you start, but if you do, hopefully you will work through it and conquer it. I know I was so proud of myself when I finished that day in the pool. I'll report back when we return on Feb. 5th. Best wishes!

Archived