parking New York Harbor

cruise junky joan

We will be leaving from New York the day after Thanksgiving and am planning to park at the terminal. Any tips on how much this will cost, and when we should or shouldn't arrive at the port? Thanks Joan

The last time we parked at the port, it was $24 per day. It's ok with us though because after getting off the ship at debarkation, it's such a pleasure to hop into our car and drive away. Otherwise, you wait quite awhile for a cab. We always arrived around 10 AM and started (or were near the front of) the line. You're going to wait no matter what time you arrive (unless you arrive very late), so we choose to wait early and board early.

Hi,

If I can make a suggestion. DO NOT DRIVE into the city. The day after THanksgiving is the WORST day for traffic in NYC. It once took me over 2 hours to get into NY on what should be a 30 minute drive. That was just to get into the city. After getting in, it was a complete nightmare.

If you are parking on the rooftop parking lot it is $22. for short term and $25 per day for long term. For $250. I am sure you can get Amtrak Metroliner tickets and then cab over (again there will be a lot of traffic) to the pier.

This is the BIGGEST shopping day in the city and you have all the people from the metro area who come in the day after Thanksgiving.

If you must drive (and I don't know how much luggage you'll have) you could take the NY Waterways Ferry from Weehawken, NJ. They do long term parking there (I think it is around $6.00 a day) and the r/t ferry ticket it around $12.00. You would have to schlep your luggage but you get the bonus of seeing the QM2 from the water also. The ferry terminates at 12th Ave around 37th ST and they have shuttle buses up 12th AVe though I don't know if they would have room for baggage. If not you can take a cab from there.

Bon voyage

We are on the Nov 26 sailing, and we will be coming into NYC on THanksgiving Day. We are driving to Wilkes-Barre, PA, to pick up my MIL, and we will be taking a Martz Bus into the city. We are staying at the W Hotel-Tuscany, and we'll have turkey dinner somewhere nice in the city.

On the day of the cruise, I plan to have a limo pick us up at the hotel, take us to

brunch somewhere nice, then on to the port. There are several stops on the Martz bus line between Wilkes-Barre and NYC, so I suggest you come in either the day before or the day of, but catch the bus (http://www.martztrailways.com). It drops you off near Penn Station, where you can get a cab to the port.

ETA: Many of the Martz stops have FREE parking.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Archived