What date in Greenwich, London ?

Mrs Miggins

Hi,

I see from one thread that Viking Ocean will be docked in Greenwich in 2015. We have a home in Greenwich so would love to go and have a look at the new ship as we are booked to be onboard in 2016. I have looked on the website but cannot see any information apart from cruises ending in Harwich - which is an entirely different place and a good distance from London. We have seen several cruise ships in Greenwich (tender) but never know when they are going to arrive. Greenwich is a wonderful place to visit and you can also get into the centre of London by riverboat very easily.

Thanks for any information.

Latest I have seen is arrival 7:30 am on May 12th and depart 9:00 am on May 13th. Was originally scheduled as a two day stop but was changed without explanation.

Viking Star scheduled for Greenwich Ship Tier.

Not claiming to be at all qualified to judge nautical reasons for sailing, but there are high tides twice a day mid-morning on the Thames when we are there. Seems like too easy an answer to feed to us passengers.

2z5ri4j.jpg

Just checked Port of London cruise ship diary and Viking Ocean are the first listed to be in Greenwich this year. The Thames is deep here but there is no dock for such a large ship so you will be tendered - but this is an extremely short journey.

I would certainly recommend Thames Clippers for the journey into London. Depending on your route you can get off these very fast and convenient (check timetables but generally about every 20 mins) clippers at the Tower of London or go further into London. Its a great ride going under Tower Bridge.

Don't forget to have a quick look round Greenwich. The Discover Greenwich Visitor Centre is within minutes of where the tender drops you off. They can give you information about Greenwich but also have good information about London in general which is not easy to come by in central London. The Visitor Centre is within the grounds of the Old Royal Naval College (check website) The Painted Hall, as used in many movies including Pirates of the Caribbean, as well as the Chapel, are free to enter and unmissable.

Looking forward to our cruise next year from Venice to Istanbul. In the meantime we are on Star Clippers in the South of France in September - bliss.

Not claiming to be at all qualified to judge nautical reasons for sailing, but there are high tides twice a day mid-morning on the Thames when we are there. Seems like too easy an answer to feed to us passengers.

2z5ri4j.jpg

I'm no sailor either, although I often have the vocabulary of one. Maybe there is a reason why the ports changed for the 2016 Western Passage itinerary. I think Southampton has less of a tide issue, as would Le Havre. The deep water cruises seem to use them for London and Paris. Two tides a day, multiple ports to choose from....hmmm

Given the choice London Greenwich gives a full day in London,(and you are already in a World Heritage Site) whereas Southampton is a good two hour drive from Central London. Of course many cruises start from Southampton giving an opportunity for a pre or post cruise stay. There are plans to build a cruise terminal in Greenwich but despite much talk nothing concrete yet.

Given the choice London Greenwich gives a full day in London.

Of course Mrs Miggins, Greenwich is no doubt a better location! Our only complaint is that we're going to be there one day instead of the lovely two on the original itinerary we booked. We originally had the option of even going to Salisbury and Stonehenge on the second day. It's very disappointing, but there is nothing to do but get over it.

I do plan on coming back. I have met so many wonderful people from your country. Many on Viking Cruises:)

Have a great day. I am biased of course but London is a wonderful place. I am still finding new places to visit after a lifetime of sightseeing. We are in Greenwich most weekends and the Clipper journey into Town still thrills me.

Today the weather was great and Greenwich was full of tourists, from all over the world, having a lovely time.