Paul Gaugin 12/19 Cruise - Looking for Information, Opinions

gbp

Hi,

I'm tempted by the 12/19 PG cruise, for which we received an e-mail offer where the 3rd person (our 10 y.o. son) can sail for free. I've some questions that I hope more experienced cruisers can help answer. Here they are, and thanks in advance!

1. I've heard that December is the one of the hottest, most humid, wettest months for that geographic area. My wife and son are somewhat sensitive to the heat, but weathered a Caribbean cruise in 4/09 OK, and a Washington DC 2-week stay in mid-June 2009, although there was some discomfort. Perhaps the magical beauty of the area (plus A/C on the ship) would overcome these problems. :-) Thoughts?

2. It looks like we can get a $500 reduction on a balcony cabin. Do you think such a cabin is worthwhile on this cruise? It looks like there will be some at-sea days.

3. Since we live in the SF Bay Area, it appears that we'd probably leave from LAX. The lowest airfares I see now for that period area around $1000 - $1300 R/T, excluding taxes and fees. Any thoughts on whether Regent might provide additional incentives regarding a discount on airfare? I'm sure this is pure speculation at this point, though.

4. I'm a little concerned about whether our 10-year-old son would have enough to do, but the Ocean Futures Society offers a program for that cruise. Has anyone had experience bringing their children and/or with the Ocean Futures Society program?

5. What about the itinerary? It's a 9-day cruise with this itinerary:

12/19 - 12/20 Papeete

12/21 - Fakrava

12/23 - Huahine

12/24 - Bora Bora

12/25 - Taha'a

12/26 - 12/27 - Moorea

12/27 - 12/28 - Papeete

There are two at-sea days. I've heard Papeete is not the most desirable port, but I imagine we could spend some time there and simply enjoy the ship the rest of the time.

6. Speaking of the ship, how are the amenities and activities aboard the PG? My wife has some mobility issues, so except for the less strenuous shore excursions, she might spend quite a bit of time aboard the PG.

7. Is the Wi-Fi fairly reliable? Although it's unlikely, I might have to telecommute for my work on occasion.

I know this is a lot of questions, and I appreciate anyone taking the time and effort to address whatever they can. Thanks again!

I hope you are working with a travel agent for this cruise. They should be able to help quite a bit.

From what I see in terms of average climate in Tahiti, December is part of the humid time of the year, but, I don't see where this month is worse than other months in that season. Yes -- the air conditioning will definitely help -- as will the many opportunities to be in the ocean.

You probably should not be looking at Regent for incentives or discounts as their contract to manage the PG runs out at the end of this year. There have been times in the past when free airfare is offered. You may want to check out pgcruises.com to see if it will be offered in 2010.

Wifi can be extremely slow in French Polynesia.

Some people are very happy to be in suites without balconies. We prefer the balcony suites. There is little in the world that can surpass the beauty of French Polynesia. Eating breakfast on the balcony is something that you will never forget.

It has been a while since we have been on the PG -- I'm sure that others with more recent experience will be posting.:)

Thanks very much for the response, especially the recommendation to use a travel agent. I'll look into that tomorrow. Looking at some of the Cruise Critic PG reviews, almost all of the ones posted around December seem very negative. Complaints about excessive air-conditioning, not-so-great food seem prevalent. Perhaps December rather than April is "the cruelest month", at least for the PG! :)

BTW, I hope the cruise (since it's still under Regent until 2010) will count towards accumulating days in the Seven Seas Society. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

we are bay area residents and took our 10 year old grandson on a week's trip (no sea days) during August. we found a balcony very worthwhile. we stored out wet masks and fins there to dry out, along with an occasional swimsuit. we actually upgraded to a B cabin and found it delightful. 10 is the minimum age for scuba on board and we took the boat course and went scuba diving twice, which our grandson loved. Martin, our dive leader was marvelous. the Ocean expedition part was excellent with two great leaders. We did not participate in all ocean expedition events, but did do a night snorkle, a trip to the bora bora lagoonarium, as well as swimming with sting rays which we enjoyed. The internet was slow but seemed reliable. The boat staff was great to our grandson. We went to bed early and missed all the shows, but enjoyed seeing the south pacific through the eyes of a 10 year old, all in all a marvelous experience. we did almost all the snorkeling excursions. P.S. We took southwest to LA and changed to Air Tahiti nui there. we paid the fares you mention. the only change we did was to pay a slight additional fee and leave friday night instead of spending a dead day in papeete. That worked well.

Yes, it is a bit more humid in December, but the temps don't change much in French Polynesia. You may have rain, maybe not - I have taken this great cruise 3 times - the last time 2 years ago leaving just about the same date as you - we were on a 10 nite cruise that left on Dec. 12. We were very lucky on this cruise - although listed as the rainiest month, we had no rain at all until we returned to Papeete, where it did rain that last day. Beautiful blue skies and lovely trade winds. There are always trade winds, and I frankly did not notice any more humidity going in Dec. than I did when we went in the summer the previous two trips.

Do get a balcony if you can afford it. There is something magical about hearing the "whish" of the waves at night with the sliding door open, feeling the evening breeze, and seeing the moon through the gauzy curtains. Also, with your child with you, the balcony gives you extra room to sit out there for a bit and look at the ocean, or the shoreline....

LOTS to do for kids! I can't imagine anything more fun for a 10 year old boy!. Get your snorkel gear the first day, and then you will have it to use the entire trip. What fun he will have! My girls first went to the South Pacific when they were about 8 and 10, and they have such fond memories of their discoveries - the purple starfish, and the other tropical fish they saw. As far as mobility is concerned, I am almost 70, and about the ONLY thing I can do now that I enjoy is swimming and snorkling. As long as you can float, you can snorkel! There are plenty of opportunities to snorkel from shore, so your wife does not have to worry about getting up and down ladders. There are plenty of activities and lectures on board as well, so if she stays aboard at a particular port, she won't be bored. Also, shopping for local crafts is quite good - should I even mention black pearls??? wonderful souvineers. While there are 4 wheel drive excursions to the hills and mountains of the interior in many of the ports, there are wonderful relaxing excursions for sailing in the lagoon, or snorkling/swimming.

You can see I am wild about French Polynesia. Wish I were going back soon.......as far as I am concerned, the food is wonderful and the service friendly and prompt. The Les Gauguines dancers, about 12, are on the ship and give dance, craft, and other demonstrations. These young women are very approachable, and love to talk about their islands.

Your family will have the trip of a lifetime.!! :D:D:D

gpb,

I am hopelessly addicted to French Polynesia and the Paul Gaugin, so I am biased. The weather in FP is pretty good all year but our experience is that it rains a bit more in our winter, their summer. Usually, it rains and then the winds clear the weather, but some folks have experienced days long foul weather. It is still paradise to me. As was mentioned, Les Gaugines have something going everyday related to their culture so you spouse should have something to look forward to on board, but the crew will help her enjoy everything. We were on board with a big man in a wheel chair our first cruise, he was more or less a parapalegic. He went to Motu Mahana and the Bora Bora Motu as well as the bridge tour. The crew was wonderful with him.

As long as you son like the water he should have something to do everyday. If he wants to learn Scuba, you should get him started now at home and he can complete his certification on board. There are a lot of excursion I am sure he will enjoy with you.

If you can afford a balcony stateroom, this is the ship to get one. There is nothing in the world like sitting out on the balcony and watching one of the islands slip by.

There is at least one travel agent who specializes in Regent that can make sure your trip is perfect. I wish I could go with you.

Oh boy, where to start! This is last minute planning, no?

1. I've heard that December is the one of the hottest, most humid, wettest months for that geographic area. My wife and son are somewhat sensitive to the heat, but weathered a Caribbean cruise in 4/09 OK, and a Washington DC 2-week stay in mid-June 2009, although there was some discomfort. Perhaps the magical beauty of the area (plus A/C on the ship) would overcome these problems. :-) Thoughts?

Yes it is hot and humid. It can get hot out on deck during the day, and humid for touring on land. The answer to that is to spend lots of time in the pool during those sea days, and to concentrate on water activities when in port. We did it in December last year, and still loved it.

2. It looks like we can get a $500 reduction on a balcony cabin. Do you think such a cabin is worthwhile on this cruise? It looks like there will be some at-sea days.

Your boy would like it--room is the same size, don't be fooled. It's a personal preference. I sprung for a similar discount as a Guarantee and ended up in a larger cabin on deck 8. If you can get a GTY you might benefit that way (but don't count on it.)

3. Since we live in the SF Bay Area, it appears that we'd probably leave from LAX. The lowest airfares I see now for that period area around $1000 - $1300 R/T, excluding taxes and fees. Any thoughts on whether Regent might provide additional incentives regarding a discount on airfare? I'm sure this is pure speculation at this point, though.

I wouldn't count on them discounting the airfare so late.

4. I'm a little concerned about whether our 10-year-old son would have enough to do, but the Ocean Futures Society offers a program for that cruise. Has anyone had experience bringing their children and/or with the Ocean Futures Society program?

I'm sure you son would love it. It depends no on the daytime activities, but whether he minds being with adults in the evenings and sitting through long dinners and not minding dressing up a little.

5. What about the itinerary? It's a 9-day cruise with this itinerary:

12/19 - 12/20 Papeete

12/21 - Fakrava

12/23 - Huahine

12/24 - Bora Bora

12/25 - Taha'a

12/26 - 12/27 - Moorea

12/27 - 12/28 - Papeete

There are two at-sea days. I've heard Papeete is not the most desirable port, but I imagine we could spend some time there and simply enjoy the ship the rest of the time.

The sea days I loved! The Papeete itinerary is deceptive--you don't get back until dinner time the night before embarkation. If you choose Regent air, you get to stay on the ship until lunchtime the next day, then are taken to a dayroom at the Radisson hotel until your flight home--more swimming!

6. Speaking of the ship, how are the amenities and activities aboard the PG? My wife has some mobility issues, so except for the less strenuous shore excursions, she might spend quite a bit of time aboard the PG.

Is she comfortable in the water? If so, there's the motu day at Taha'a, where you can spend the entire day on a little island (motu) swimming, snorkeling, relaxing, eating...snorkel equipment is provided. Don't miss this! Many of the excursions involve the water, but make sure to askk about getting in and out of boats--sometimes there are ladders involved.

Make sure to take reef shoes for any water activities.

The ship itself has lots of activities, but is very relaxing as well. The pool is small, but nice.

7. Is the Wi-Fi fairly reliable? Although it's unlikely, I might have to telecommute for my work on occasion.

Decent, but slow.

I know this is a lot of questions, and I appreciate anyone taking the time and effort to address whatever they can. Thanks again!

No problem, ask away!

I contacted a travel agent, and, unfortunately, there are no triples available. I even called Regent direct in order to confirm this, and there are no cabins with sofa beds available in any category, nor are any roll-a-way beds available. The travel agent says they will monitor the situation in case there is a cancellation, but Regent says that there are already 8 people wait-listed, although the person said that she didn't know what the cabin categories were.

The only other possibility is a 12/28 cruise, but that would involve my son missing 3 days of school, which is a non-starter for us. Well, it was worth a try, and I really appreciate all the responses to my questions. Thanks very much for that!

Incidentally, I was told the cruise fare only rate for a category B cabin for two people is approximately $14K total (which includes a $600 pp air credit), which makes me think that $14K fare for that cabin category at Regent's web site has to be a typo.

Archived