Sour grapes?

cyclemad

I'm hoping that this is just a case of sour grapes... a woman at work has just "assured me" that cruising is not what it is made out to be - "it's like a floating RSL club full of rude people who just want to eat and drink as much as they possibly can". She even recounted a story about how she entered the lift early one morning only to find a very drunk man urinating in the corner!!

Please tell me that she was just being catty - we are sailing out tomorrow and I was so excited - now I feel a bit uneasy about going. You all seem so nice and obviously love cruising, so I don't see that it can be as bad as she has made it out to be. Please help - I want my excitement back!

Cris.

I'm hoping that this is just a case of sour grapes... a woman at work has just "assured me" that cruising is not what it is made out to be - "it's like a floating RSL club full of rude people who just want to eat and drink as much as they possibly can". She even recounted a story about how she entered the lift early one morning only to find a very drunk man urinating in the corner!!

Please tell me that she was just being catty - we are sailing out tomorrow and I was so excited - now I feel a bit uneasy about going. You all seem so nice and obviously love cruising, so I don't see that it can be as bad as she has made it out to be. Please help - I want my excitement back!

Cris.

Cris,

Cruising is what YOU make of it. Remember that the ship is a floating mini community - so you'll come across all sorts. So, like any community, there will be rude people, but they'll be a minority. The majority of people will be like you - on holiday and out to have a wonderful time.

Don't let ONE person's view put you off. Go, have a wonderful time, and tell us all about it when you get back!

Kym

Ignore her & be excited as you were and as you should be. Ok so it's nearly 20 years since I cruised but I can't see why anthing would be so different. Sure, there are people who get drunk, as there is not matter where you go whether it be a holiday or a night out. But everyone is out to have a good time. You will find the majority (if not all) of people very friendly and will encounter very few rude ones. She's probably just jealous becuase she's not going. Be excited and have a great time. I know I will when my time comes (I'm already excited).

Karen

Kym is correct. You will always get the yobbos who will do disgusting things but on the whole, cruising is the way to go. Relax, enjoy and come back with nice tales to tell. We hare now hooked on cruising even though I get really bad seasickness :) Its the best holiday ever and we have even booked one for our daughter's honeymoon in October. Gayle

Well it sounds like your work colleagues has her cup half empty today or missed her morning coffee. Yes it is true like with all other parts of life unfortunately there are a minority of people who behave rudely and or have no self respect. Do what i do and ignore them !

Remember it's a big ship and very easy to walk away from any shinnagins that offend you, walk the stairs if a lift has been defiled. Solve these problems yourself by only associating with decent like minded people and ignore the rabble.

Have Fun and please remember 99% of people are just like you and want to have a great time :)

Thank you - I'm starting to feel those lovely tingles of excitement again.

You're right - her experience is her experience and it needn't be mine - I'm looking forward to spending time with my family, not having to cook or clean (or go to work!), getting a massage at the day-spa, exploring the islands and swimming with fish in tropical waters - and that's what I am going to do - even if I have to step over the occasional small puddle in the lift! :)

Cris,

I've been on 3 cruises, one as an 18 year old and the last 2 in my 40's and have not yet come across anyone who has been rude or crude. No doubt they are there but I found on a whole everyone was very friendly, down from the oldies to the young adults.

Don't let one person upset your plans and excitement (nor maybe the occasional small puddle in the lift!!!) lol lol lol.

Kerri

Cris

I think the holiday is as good as you make it, if you cruise through these boards they're are a lot of people who have been on more than 1 cruise and they can't all be wrong. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a cruise to anyone.

My experience on the first day of my first visit to Paris in 1989 was encountering an old man urinating in the gutter on the Champs Elysees. I was disgusted.

Good thing that wasn't my only experience because I would have missed so much beauty and life had I just turned around and gone home.

Cruising is the same thing. It's far more than your colleague suggests and you will return with a much more compelling story about your experiences.

Sounds like a couple of women on the cruise I have just come off on the Sky. Didn't like anthing, didn't like the food, scoffed at the waiters doing their routines, you name it they hated it. I asked one of them what they ate at home and she said, "Oh, far better than this my dear" :eek: The ladies at our table named them Lemon and Lime. As for people getting drunk and peeing. There was what looked like orange juice or piddle in one of the elevators. I just told the Pursers Desk and they got onto it straight away. ANYTHING, you don't like or are concerned about, see the purser. They are there to 'sort the job out'. They are very strict on bad behaviour and on our trip 4 young men got put off at the first stop. They were in our corridor a few rooms down. Someone complained about the parties they had in their cabin. I never heard a thing, but they were being pains in the corridors. It went very quiet after that. Two crew got put off for fighting and the piano player jumped ship along with them. Too much of the bending the elbow, inbetween tunes. Go with an open mind and enjoy the pampering. You don't even have to pour your own glass of water at dinner. I am planning the next trip whenever that is to be but I am looking at brochures already. I have been home two hours.

Its amazing how some people can find faults in anything.

We had a great time. Keep and open mind and relax. There were a few rowdy people on our cruise but its all good. I didnt really gfet to bed before 2am each night any way so i didnt notice the noise.

Cheers,

dan

Archived