Star Flyer Transatlantic April 2011

johnwillimas

That was a great posting and gave a real insight in to a Star Clipper transatlantic.

My wife and I are great fans of Star Clippers, our first cruise Venice to Athens was brilliant. We have just had seven nights on Royal Clipper in the Grenadines and enjoyed every moment. Next January will be Panama to St Maarten, I can't wait.

I have spoken to other passengers who have 'done' the Atlantic and they were as upbeat as you were.

Thanks again for a great post

• 3 months later...

I am going on a Star Flyer Transatlantic crossing next April 2012 and found your post most interesting. I have a question for you as so far you are the only person I have found that has done a transatlantic on her.

Having never been aboard the ship or crossed an ocean before, I am struggling to find out what kind of clothing to take for use on deck. Clearly below deck is no problem but if the weather kicks up a bit no doubt it gets rather wet and cold as you sail north. I am accustomed to sailing yachts all the year round in British waters so have all the foul weather gear but no doubt this would be well over the top and I do not want to lug it unnecessarily. Can you advise on what you found most useful in your wardrobe?

There is so much information on this site. Under "Cruise Reviews" at the top, select "Member Reviews". Then put in "Star Clippers" under cruise lines. That way all three Clippers will show up. Read the ones that have "Transatlantic or TA" in the title. All kinds of good stuff, including the types of clothes to bring. Foul weather gear is overkill (in my mind).

• 5 months later...
I am going on a Star Flyer Transatlantic crossing next April 2012 and found your post most interesting. I have a question for you as so far you are the only person I have found that has done a transatlantic on her.

Having never been aboard the ship or crossed an ocean before, I am struggling to find out what kind of clothing to take for use on deck. Clearly below deck is no problem but if the weather kicks up a bit no doubt it gets rather wet and cold as you sail north. I am accustomed to sailing yachts all the year round in British waters so have all the foul weather gear but no doubt this would be well over the top and I do not want to lug it unnecessarily. Can you advise on what you found most useful in your wardrobe?

Hi JohnSilver,

Are you still booked on the April 2012 TA? Have you found any others going? I did the Royal Clipper from Lisbon to Barbados in October 2010 and had a great time and fantastic weather. I found a polar fleece layer and a rain jacket all I needed.

Deb

Archived