Tulum ruins- need help!

me&2kids

My parents want to see Tulum while we are docked in Cozumel in February (can't wait!!!). However, the Carnival tour is sold out. I know a ferry ride to Playa Del Carmen is required to go to the ruins. How does this work if you want to tour independently? Can you still use the cruise line's ferry if you aren't on one of their tours? Does anyone have a good recommendation of a tour company visiting Tulum? Is this an easy tour to do independently? What should my parents expect? Thank you!

Logistsics will be of upmost importance for you. Not sure how long your ship's in port??? Ferry runs from San Miguel(Dowtown Cozumel) to Playa Del Carmen pretty much every hour(same coming back). Then you have approximately a 45 minute drive to Tulum from PDC. There was some major road construction going on at Puerto Aventurous while we there in late November so this could slow you down as well. It will be a long day.

Hot!! Hot!! Hot!! at the ruins with minimal shade so take plenty of water. If your parents are elderly be careful, some of the paths heading up to the ocean views aren't very level and can be treacherous. We saw an elderly man slip & fall. Scary but luckily he only ended up some scratches and needing a new pair of glasses.

Here is a site to check into a tour. Have never used them but have heard all good things. Sounds like they limit the number of people as well which will help meet your time restraints. www.playainfo.com

I agree with the "hot, hot, hot" comment. There is no shade there

at all. They may want to take an umbrella for this reason. Also,

the ferry ride is pretty rough so they should take sea sickness

precautions.

There is a nice little beach amongst the ruins. I wish I had known

because I would have loved to cool off there but couldn't because I didn't have my suit on under my clothes. Very scenic.

Archived