Oporto port stop?

We recently returned from 3 nights in Oporto and still found plenty to do. I would explore this lovely city and agree with the above - take a 50 minute river cruise and visit a port winery, on the Villa Nova de Gaia side of the river. I would recommend picking up the boat tour from the Gaia side as the boats were much less crowded than on the Porto side.

Thanks for responses.

Are the river cruises you're speaking of the ones in those traditional flat-bottom boats? I wonder how comfortable they are. My husband is 89 and his back isn't in great shape. Is Ribeira itself real intersting, or are other parts of Porto more interesting? I've definitely decided to stay in Porto itself, just trying to decide whether to sign up for the Porto highlights tour or the river cruise/Ribeira tour. I'm not sure we'll have time/stamina to do both.

Thanks once more.

Thanks for responses.

Are the river cruises you're speaking of the ones in those traditional flat-bottom boats? I wonder how comfortable they are. My husband is 89 and his back isn't in great shape. Is Ribeira itself real intersting, or are other parts of Porto more interesting? I've definitely decided to stay in Porto itself, just trying to decide whether to sign up for the Porto highlights tour or the river cruise/Ribeira tour. I'm not sure we'll have time/stamina to do both.

Thanks once more.

I can't honestly say the boats are comfortable. Yes, they are the flat bottomed boats which used to be used to transport port barrels. The seats are basically hard wooden benches, although there was some seating inside which would probably be more comfortable.

Porto is very hilly with many cobbled streets and uneven pavements. If mobility is an issue I would opt for the tour with the best comfort factor.