Inveraray Castle from Glasgow/Greenock

smm0218

Smm2018

Hi

Inveraray Castle is not a Castle in the Medieval Sense it is a large Country House built in the 17th

Century, if you wish to visit a Medieval Castle you would be better visiting Stirling or Edinburgh Castles.

If you are docking at Greenock Stirling Castle would probably be involved in a “Trossachs” Tour, and Edinburgh would be available if you are calling at Edinburgh.

I notice on another thread you cannot source a tour going to Stirling, please e-mail me on jim@sanjam.net and I may be able to give you some info that may help.

Please enjoy your visit to Scotland whatever tour you choose.

Happy Cruising.

Edited by Sanjam cruisers

Sanjam

I did know that Inveraray is not actually a castle. My sister who does geneology has determined that one of our ancestors married one of their ancestors before immigrating way back when, to the US. She wants me to visit there instead of Stirling.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate all the help I have gotten on the CC boards.

Sandi

Inverary Castle is a rebuild on the same site of the original castle. In the mid 1700s the need for fortified castles had diminished, so a grand house was built.

The town is well worth a visit, the old jail is interesting and if the weather is good the views down Loch Fyne from the hills is spectacular.

Inverary Castle is a rebuild on the same site of the original castle. In the mid 1700s the need for fortified castles had diminished, so a grand house was built.

The town is well worth a visit, the old jail is interesting and if the weather is good the views down Loch Fyne from the hills is spectacular.

Just need to figure out how to get there. :)

Thanks

Sandi

Can anyone recommend Discover Scotland Tours? Specifically this is the one I'm looking at. (Sorry to be a pain, only 2nd cruise and we've waited a long time for this trip, so I want to get it as right as I can.)

http://discoverscotlandtours.com/tours/highland-lochs-glens-castles-shore-excursion/#1485881004311-d55db911-be04efed-5a0a9d9d-62a00d31-c23c

Well, you could just take the ship’s excursion. Alternatively, you could take a taxi. I seem to recall they charged £30-40 per hour.

Ships excursion is my last resort option as it seems pretty pricey ($200 each) but if all else fails...

Ships excursion is my last resort option as it seems pretty pricey ($200 each) but if all else fails...

Yes, the American lines do charge a lot! All profit as the British lines charge half as much! Though it may include lunch and admission tickets which the Discover Scotland tour does not, I think. Even so, their tour looks pretty cheap! If you do a forum search on here for ‘Discover Scotland Tours’ you should find some reviews.

Yes, the American lines do charge a lot! All profit as the British lines charge half as much! Though it may include lunch and admission tickets which the Discover Scotland tour does not, I think. Even so, their tour looks pretty cheap! If you do a forum search on here for ‘Discover Scotland Tours’ you should find some reviews.

Thanks for some reason I didn't think of doing a forum search, I'll try that.

The refund issue is why I'm hesitant, I think. Busy Bus is a little more, doesn't say the size of the bus and doesn't discount for seniors but for some reason gives me a better feeling than "if it is canceled file under your trip insurance."

Having used neither company myself, I cannot advise properly. However I do recognise the Busy Bus name from Liverpool port threads, where they seem very popular, whereas Discover Scotland is perhaps less well known.

As regards the refund situation, Greenock is not a port renowned for being missed, in the way Guernsey is. It is not a tender port, so sea conditions don’t affect it. However, you can never foretell mechanical or medical problems affecting arrival of course.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...