On Line Photo Storage

Swabbie

I have seen lots of the great photos through links on cruiseclues and other sites. I would welcome everyone's opinion on where they think the best location to store photos is.

What do you like and dislike?

What was the comparative cost?

And if you have used more than one, what were the relative merits of each?

What would you advise people who want to store just photos & title vs including more naration text?

Thanks all.

I started off with WebShots, and maxed out my free space. About the time I was ready to pay for more space on WebShots, I discovered Yahoo Photos, and I've been using it ever since. Yahoo is free, unlimited. I have 23 albums on Yahoo, some with over 200 pics in them. I actually like WebShots better, but "free" sure makes things seem better on Yahoo.

Ken

I started out on Webshots because it's free -- I graduated to smugmug because it allows me to view my shots in their original size -- I use an 8 mp camera and it's pretty easy to use your maximum free space on webshots with that camera -- smugmug cost $15 per year ( at least when I joined it did, not sure about the price now) - but I like the format and the easy access for family members -- check it out -- ericandhelen.smugmug.com

I use http://www.flickr.com. At $40 a year you get unlimited storage and can upload 2 gigs of photos per month. What is really nice is if you have relatives far away and they see photos they like they can download the original size photo and have it printed locally. In addition you can password protect your albums so that only those with the password can view the pictures.

SeattleJerry

I just had my pbase account expire, and I looked around a bit. I like the control pbase gives you in terms of backgrounds and such, so in the end I renewed pbase.

CordovaMom: I would suggest using a photo editing program to resize your shots before loading. Really no reason to put shots up that are larger than about 600x800 for nice viewing. Takes up a lot less room.

• 2 weeks later...

I currently use Webshots along with my own web page, but am looking for another online photo service.

Has anyone ever seen one of these online sites that allows one to set up their photos and albums in a multi-tiered system?

Here is what I mean: On most of these you set up your photo's in Albums. Your home page lists every Album. What I'd prefer to do is have my home page on the site have a link to various groups of Albums such as "Cruises" "Family", etc. Then under "Cruises" list each cruise - these links might take you to either an album for the entire cruise, or yet another link which breaks the pictures out into different sub-albums. For example on our Alaska cruise I have hundreds of pictures I would have preferred to sort into sub-albums such as one for the ship, one for each port, and one for our pre-cruise trip.

I know this can be done with your own web site, but that takes a fair about of work and technical expertise. I like the ease of setting up photos on sites like Webshots, but would like it even more if there was a multi-tiered system to organize my Albums.

Take a look at the ericand helen site listed above at Smugmug. I think that is the kind of capability you are looking for. I am still looking through examples of the various sites that others have been so kind to mention here. That and I am seeing lots of great photos.

I currently use Webshots along with my own web page, but am looking for another online photo service.

Has anyone ever seen one of these online sites that allows one to set up their photos and albums in a multi-tiered system?

I know this can be done with your own web site, but that takes a fair about of work and technical expertise. I like the ease of setting up photos on sites like Webshots, but would like it even more if there was a multi-tiered system to organize my Albums.

Do you have your own website now? I just downloaded a FREE application last night.. It does what you want it to do I believe..

This gallery software makes web albums of your digital images. JAlbum aims to be the easiest to usemost powerful tool in this category - and free.

If you do not have your own site they are offering this

Signup for your Jalbum webhosting

You will get following features included with your jalbum hosting account.

FREE subdomain

500MB space

5000MB data transfer/monthUnlimited FTP accessUpgrade available!

$4.16/mo.

Just a thought :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have to throw in my vote for Pbase. Hard to beat for ease of use. The ability to customize the styles to suit your site is a winner too.

$23/yr for 300mb. I currently have 34 galleries with 1970 images online. They are great for remote family viewing as CordovaMom mentioned.

Click on the photo bar for an example via my travel gallery.

Dave

CordovaMom: I would suggest using a photo editing program to resize your shots before loading. Really no reason to put shots up that are larger than about 600x800 for nice viewing. Takes up a lot less room.

NOOO!!! Please don't downsize...600x800 is too small to make a good screensaver or wallpaper. Unless you're protecting them from being downloaded by viewers...then you can do what you want with them. :p

After a review of all the sites, I am leaning towards Smugmug. Part of the reason is because I do want to sent some full size photos back east. I also want to put some video on line. I may maintain a Webshots site for some low density photos in parallel for a bit. I want to thank all who responded and provided links to thier pictures. This was very helpfull to me and was great reviewing the pictures. Thanks to Lsimon, your pictures on the Golden are from the same cabin we have on the Star.

I use photosite.com primarily due to the ease of uploading photos. I don't have to worry about resizing and their software is extremely easy to use. They offer several levels of accounts ranging from free to $70 per year. I post a lot of photos so I have their unlimited package which included my own domain name.

I use photosite.com primarily due to the ease of uploading photos. I don't have to worry about resizing and their software is extremely easy to use. They offer several levels of accounts ranging from free to $70 per year. I post a lot of photos so I have their unlimited package which included my own domain name.

I swear by Smugmug.com I went to China and took over 8,000 pictures, I ended up posting almost 1600!! I have a basic membership with them and I love how you can customize each gallery based on who'd going to see it, if you want people to see original vs cropped sizes, etc....

Feel free to check my gallery out at http://sakedad.smugmug.com and let me know if you have any questions.

We have a doodad that has a 8 in 1 card reader, and a 2 1/2 hard drive in it for transfering the contents of memory cards (ours is 80 Gig). Little 2X1 inch LCD screen for selecting commands and showing results. Works like a charm and only costs C$85 + the cost of the hard drive (el-cheapo laptop hard drive?) Available at Tiger Direct.CA

Archived