Insurance or not /need a little advice

Team

In the UK it is unusual for anyone to travel without insurance, and indeed, many travel companies actually insist on it. Like others - we have had to cancel trips because of illness. Last year we were due to travel to Sydney to pick up a cruise. It wasn't until 2 days before our flight that we were told there was no way I could fly. We got back absolutely everything back via Celebrity and our insurance company. Just imagine how much we would have been out of pocket if we hadn't had insurance! NEVER travel without insurance!!

autumn lass - like you I'm chronically ill. While I was having chemo and for a year after, I couldn't get insurance at a sensible rate. Now, as it is more than a year since treatment, I don't have to pay any supplemnt on our standard insurance (and there are no restrictions as to where we can go,) even though I'm now no longer technically in remission. We get our insurance through our bank (NW). Might be worth checking it out?

Edited by jonsmum

jonsmum

Thank you for your advice, I will be a year after chemo in January and my insurance is due for renewal in March so I will question why it can't be reduced then. We are with M&S through their Premium Club card, it's underwritten by Axa. Hope you are ok.

Hilary

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for your concern Hilary. Apparently I'm looking at more chemo within the next year, but it hasn't stopped us booking cruises! We're off to the Arabian Sea and India in Nov and have Alaska booked for next August. If it turns out we can't travel - well that's what insurance is for - and we know that we'll get every penny back, so no worries. ALWAYS take out insurance people - you never know what is round the corner.

We never gamble with medical insurance (your liability is unlimited) and simply purchase a decent annual trip medical policy which gives us $250,000 of medical coverage (compare this to the $10,000 given for many cruise line policies). But we do gamble on cancellation and are now far more then $100,000 ahead...which is he money we have saved by not buying cancellation insurance over the years. Some day we will possibly get burned....but will still be far ahead of the game.

To us, the big gamble is buying cruise line insurance that only gives folks $10,000 (sometimes more or less) of medical coverage. One single medical emergency can easily cost 10s of thousands of dollars...and unless you have other medical insurance your cruise could be very very expensive.

Hank

We never gamble with medical insurance (your liability is unlimited) and simply purchase a decent annual trip medical policy which gives us $250,000 of medical coverage (compare this to the $10,000 given for many cruise line policies). But we do gamble on cancellation and are now far more then $100,000 ahead...which is he money we have saved by not buying cancellation insurance over the years. Some day we will possibly get burned....but will still be far ahead of the game.

To us, the big gamble is buying cruise line insurance that only gives folks $10,000 (sometimes more or less) of medical coverage. One single medical emergency can easily cost 10s of thousands of dollars...and unless you have other medical insurance your cruise could be very very expensive.

Hank

I agree. Use the website recommended on here or private message me and I will tell you the website to search. Peace of mind and also make the best decision for you financially.