Tour Information for Guam, Saipan, Rabaul, Honiara, Okinawa - Have you been?

GottoCruise

Leaving on the Pacific Princess July 25 to visit the Islands of the Pacific Theatre of World War 2...I have had some response from a few local tour agencies and am waiting for replies to arrange itineraries with private driver/guide ....but would appreciate information from anyone who visited these islands??? (May 17,2004 sailing - any past passengers??:confused: ) Time is getting short - so would very much appreciate your help...Thanks!:p Renee (aka GotToCruise)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We did a variation of the Pacific Theater cruise on Sky Princess, San Francisco to Sydney, 9-00. That was last voyage as Princess ship - now P&O Australia's Pacific Sky.

We were very fortunate to have a Brit, Bob Reynolds on board as guest lecturer and tour guide. He is connected with the Pacific Battle Monuments Commission.

On Rabaul, we went to a museum in the jungle, with WW2 artifacts, and an

Australian War Dead Cemetery, both done very well. A volcano was spewing ash opposite side of the harbor, and we all had surgical masks so didn't breath in the ash. Ship put up special filters for their air intakes.

On Saipan, Reynolds had arranged a special tour and Remembrance ceremony at the War Memorial there - very moving.

On Guam, we went to a Naval Museum, I believe at Apria. I was a little disappointed with that one - very small and not particularly well done.

Our ship did not go to Okinawa - but I recommend Shuri Castle. I spent 2 and 1/2 years there with the Army in the 50s.

We were supposed to go to Honiaria (sp), but there was some sort of uprising on Guadalcanal at the time, so we skipped that port and went into Vanuata (Port Vila) instead, and visited a Coast Watcher's plantation, and former air base.

Archived