Best Mediterranean Itinerary for 7-night Sailing?

brendafry

We are looking at our first Oceania (first Mediterranean!) cruise for late 2018. Can anyone give us insight into the best itinerary for active ports (we're 50) where we can best do our own excursions?

Specific ones we're currently considering are:

Rome to Monte Carlo (Glamorous Retreats)

Venice to Rome (Ancient Glory)

Lisbon to Barcelona (Iberian Quest)

We welcome any other advice as well. Thanks in advance!

We are looking at our first Oceania (first Mediterranean!) cruise for late 2018. Can anyone give us insight into the best itinerary for active ports (we're 50) where we can best do our own excursions?

Specific ones we're currently considering are:

Rome to Monte Carlo (Glamorous Retreats)

Venice to Rome (Ancient Glory)

Lisbon to Barcelona (Iberian Quest)

We welcome any other advice as well. Thanks in advance!

Have you visited any of the countries on these itineraries in the past?

My husband and I have been to France and Italy, but the other two have not been to any of the countries. We are traveling as 2 couples (sisters and husbands). Thank you!

Thanks, that may help some with recommendations...

Are you planning pre and post cruise stays....sometimes that might make a difference. For those that have never been to Europe the Venice to Rome might be of special interest. Kotor is a very easy DIY.

Monte Carlo, where your second choice ends with an overnight is a very easy DIY to much of the French Riviera. Portofino is easy...but if you are looking at November, it might be a bit chilly and the ferries to some other towns might not be running.

Your third choice has some tougher DIY’s in Seville and going to Granada from Malaga. But, they are well worth the trip. Southern Spain is my personal favorite.

Personally I would go for this one - Venice to Rome (Ancient Glory)

Mainly for the reason that it looks like a more interesting itinerary.

Venice is very easy to explore on your own, just walk or take the water buses. I haven't been to Zadar, but I have traveled a lot in Croatia, and it is very beautiful, and the people are really friendly. Kotor is stunning, and probably in my top 10 of cruise ports around the world, again you wouldn't need an organised excursion.

In Corfu we had a rental car for the day, which was great fun. Naples again has lots of options, walk around the town, take the train to Pompeii, or take a highspeed ferry to Capri (40-50 minutes)

The one that appeals most to me is the Lisbon to Barcelona, with close second Venice to Rome, and lastly Rome to Monte Carlo. Of course, I'm assuming you would go a few days early for each cruise, because otherwise you won't see much of Rome, Venice, or Lisbon - and all 3 are wonderful cities. And, of course, the same goes for staying late - Barcelona and Rome have so much to offer.

Lisbon isn't too terribly hard to see on your own, plus the sail out will be nice. Cadiz - yes, requires a train or bus ride to Seville, but Cadiz itself is also a nice city. Malaga is fairly easy for DIY - that's what we did. There are buses, cabs, and horse carriages waiting for you or near by, and the city center isn't far away. Haven't been to Alicante, so no impression of it. In general, we love Spain and Portugal - seem to be underrated, which is a shame. Monte Carlo was interesting but I didn't find it enchanting. Maybe I just don't like money; not sure. Marseille is not the easiest port for DIY or touring, but we took a train, I think, out of the city - to Avignon, I believe. It was nice but not fantastic.

I loved Venice, and yes, it's fairly easy to do on your own, although a bit confusing and easy to get lost! But just riding the public vaporettos was fun to me. Haven't been to Ravena, Zadar or Corfu, but they sound like pretty places with no large and really sightseeing things, but lots of atmosphere. Kotor was quite nice. We did an inexpensive half day tour outside Kotor and then I went partway up to a ruined castle (tough climb, though) and looked around the city. The sail out was beautiful around dusk. Haven't been to Messina (just another port near by). While in Naples or a near by port (maybe Sorrento?) we took the train to Pompei and found that worthwhile.

For the Rome to Monte Carlo cruise, I've only been to Portofino, so can't really tell you if I would like the whole cruise or not. Portofino was quite fun, although it's one of those slightly smaller places - some people will love it but some people may find it a little boring. The other cities on that cruise don't appeal to me all that much, but maybe it's just because I think of some of them as too sophisticated/wealthy, which really is unfair to them, I suppose. (I've not been to any of them.)

If you're from North America, I'd recommend going in a few days early to get onto European time, plus see the first city on the itinerary. I wouldn't worry too much if you don't know much about some of these cities on the 3 itineraries. I always manage to find interesting things to do and see, no matter what the destination. Sometimes the lesser known places turn out to be my favorite places! If you're energetic and DIYrs, you'll be fine just about anywhere Oceania goes, I would imagine!