Hotel pre cruise in Copenhagen and airport transfer/tour help.

newbees

I am in the process of planning a family cruise for 14 people (age range: 9-80 years old). We will land in CPH at 1:15pm on Jun 11, 2013. Our cruise is on jun12 (Norwegian Star-9 day round trip from Copenhagen). I am stressed out a little, so please help me.

1. We need 4 hotel rooms (3 quads and 1 double) for 1 night pre cruise, and we don't need fancy one, just need to be safe and convenient.

2. In Barcelona, there are several tour companies that offer private pick up from the airport, half day tour and drop off at the hotel. Is there one in Copenhagen?

3. On june 12, for transfer from hotel to cruise, what are my options?

Thanks so much.

What does NCL offer? We will be doing something similar in early June and decided to use the Princess hotel/transfer package to keep it simple. They offer a morning tour between the hotel and cruise ship. If you look on this thread many folks use the Marriott via Priceline but I don't think you can bid for such a large group. You may want to consider the airport Hilton as it is easily accessible from the airport and then you could quickly get to exploring Copenhagen in the afternoon.

We are planning a visit to Copenhagen in a few weeks. Let me share my recommendations:

First, try not to stress - you have plenty of time to figure out the details (though if you are like me, you'll still want them planned out ASAP).

As for a hotel: in your case, I would suggest avoiding Priceline and Hotwire. We used Hotwire and got a good deal. However, the downside to the "opaque" sites is that you are only guaranteed a double. For quads, I would suggest checking Hotels dot com or one of the BIG THREE online travel agencies. TripAdvisor can also give good recommendations. We are staying near Tivoli Gardens. Tivoli is one of the top sites in Copenhagen, and across the street from the central train station. I and others can provide a bit more guidance if we know a few other details about your stay - how much touring are you planning to do, and what type of budget are you trying to stay within?

Transportation: There is a cheap and easy train system that connects the airport to the central station for about $6/pp one way. The Copenhagen Metro system connects to other areas of town from the airport (like Christianhavn and Nyhavn, also $6/pp to downtown). If you expect luggage may be an issue, a taxi is between $40-$45 per taxi each direction to downtown. As Alaskanb mentioned, another option may be a transfer via the cruiseline.

Transfer to the port: Again, you can expect taxi, public transportation (with some walking), or an NCL transfer perhaps. Which pier are you sailing from? I believe most cruise ships are now sailing out of Frihavn, but just check with NCL to make sure it is not Langelinie. For public transportation, you could take the #26 bus ($4/pp, 26 minutes) from the Central station to the Frihavn port, followed by a 10 minute walk to the terminal area. If mobility is an issue for some in your party, they may be most comfortable with a taxi. For a taxi from Tivoli, I would expect about $20-25 per taxi.

Hope this helps!

For the transfers from the airport and to the pier, why not contact one of the reputable taxi companies and pre-book a large (16-pasenger) van? Might well be cheaper than the alternatives for 14 people, and certainly more convenient.

Edited by hoftraveler

Thank you so much for your responses. I think we will take a cab to the hotel and the port. I have read a few reviews for hotels in Tripadvisor, however, the area near Tivoli and central Station got mixed reviews because it is near the red light district. I know in June, the sun does not set until 10pm, is it safe to walk around at 9 or 10pm?

Thanks again.

Tivoli Hotel is allegedly across the street from Tivoli Gardens and offers a "Cruise Package" which includes airport to hotel and hotel to cruise ship transfers (and breakfast). Google the hotel. I haven't been there yet, but it is on my list for next July.

You will need several cabs or make arrangements for a van/bus. You have to consider the space needed for luggage-- probably a minimum of 14 suitcases plus hand luggage. In Europe they have family rooms but check as to what that means for specific hotels. We have been in a range from two single beds+a double to bunk beds+a double. On Hotels.com you can do a search for a group. I checked The Square hotel (my choice if I wasn't doing the Princess package)

Family Double Room Double/Twin Beds

Air cooling

bathroom

shower or bathtub

Free Internet access

Minibar

Non-smoking

Work desk w/chair

Cable TV

Telephone

Trouser Press

Hairdryer BED AND BREAKFAST -

Accommodation

Delicious breakfast buffet

Cancel deadline: 12:00 11-06-2013

DKK 8570.4

Just a few additional notes:

-The Tivoli Hotel does offer a shuttle bus between the hotel and Tivoli Gardens, if you don't care to walk.

-The Red Light District near the train station is generally very safe, based on comments I have read both here and TripAdvisor. Prostitution is legal and somewhat regulated in Denmark. The area is also "up-and-coming", so expect safety even if the area doesn't look all that attractive. Also keep in mind that this area is only about 3 blocks away from the Radisson Blu, which is considered a top hotel in the city.

Thank you so much for your input. Do you know of any tour company in Copenhagen that can accommodate 17 people (I have a family friend join us). I was considering walking around, but I am not sure my 80 year old father can handle it.

Are you arriving directly from the US? If so you will be quite tired and have jet lag. It is wise not to over plan for your first afternoon and evening but it is important to be outdoors --perhaps a stroll over to Nyhavn and a canal ride. If your father would find that difficult then perhaps a couple of you could take a taxi and meet at the canal ride. You may find splitting into smaller groups will keep everything more manageable.

Check out Copenhagen tours on Tripadvisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g189541-Activities-c25-Copenhagen_Zealand.html

Edited by Alaskanb

We are planning a visit to Copenhagen in a few weeks. Let me share my recommendations:

First, try not to stress - you have plenty of time to figure out the details (though if you are like me, you'll still want them planned out ASAP).

As for a hotel: in your case, I would suggest avoiding Priceline and Hotwire. We used Hotwire and got a good deal. However, the downside to the "opaque" sites is that you are only guaranteed a double. For quads, I would suggest checking Hotels dot com or one of the BIG THREE online travel agencies. TripAdvisor can also give good recommendations. We are staying near Tivoli Gardens. Tivoli is one of the top sites in Copenhagen, and across the street from the central train station. I and others can provide a bit more guidance if we know a few other details about your stay - how much touring are you planning to do, and what type of budget are you trying to stay within?

Transportation: There is a cheap and easy train system that connects the airport to the central station for about $6/pp one way. The Copenhagen Metro system connects to other areas of town from the airport (like Christianhavn and Nyhavn, also $6/pp to downtown). If you expect luggage may be an issue, a taxi is between $40-$45 per taxi each direction to downtown. As Alaskanb mentioned, another option may be a transfer via the cruiseline.

Transfer to the port: Again, you can expect taxi, public transportation (with some walking), or an NCL transfer perhaps. Which pier are you sailing from? I believe most cruise ships are now sailing out of Frihavn, but just check with NCL to make sure it is not Langelinie. For public transportation, you could take the #26 bus ($4/pp, 26 minutes) from the Central station to the Frihavn port, followed by a 10 minute walk to the terminal area. If mobility is an issue for some in your party, they may be most comfortable with a taxi. For a taxi from Tivoli, I would expect about $20-25 per taxi.

Hope this helps!

Would you mind sharing the hotel you received from Hotwire? Thank you.

Would you mind sharing the hotel you received from Hotwire? Thank you.

No problem - Pre-cruise, we were able to book the Copenhagen Island Hotel, and Post-cruise we are in the Tivoli Hotel. Both are in the same area near the central train station, and both are rated 4/5 on TripAdvisor. Pretty happy.

You cannot really hire buses as taxis in Copenhagen. And the largest taxis take up to 8persons. Large 8 person taxis are difficult to find on the street, however, only 1 in 10 taxis are 8 person taxis. An alternative is to hire a minibus with a chauffeur. This is possible through a bus hiring company where you hire a bus by the hour and distance driven. prices for bus hire are not metered.

I can recommend Lyngby turistfart: http://www.lyngbyturistfart.dk

I just stayed in the Tivoli Hotel pre-cruise and it was a nice hotel, but it wasn't really close to anything. They did provide a shuttle to Tivoli Gardens and it turned out for me that it didn't really matter that it wasn't near anything because my flight was so delayed, I didn't have the time to explore that I hoped I would have.

For post-cruise I stayed in the Hotel 27 (the one with the icebar). That hotel was right in the heart of everything. I got a great rate through their website. I paid about $97 USD including tax! Breakfast was expensive - $30 euros per person, but I went around the corner to a coffee shop and had a great breakfast for a lot cheaper. The downside of the Hotel 27 is that their is a really cool courtyard with a bar that was kind of noisy until fairly late. If you had a streetside vs courtyard facing room, you wouldn't be able to hear it.

Newbees, If you want a low-cost, clean hotel in a safe area of Copenhagen, a few blocks from Tivoli, then you might want to consider the CabInn City Hotel. The rooms are smaller than those on cruise ships and have no air conditioning. There are other quirks about them too, but for one night, the room was OK. I would not want to stay there much longer. For the Standard room which can sleep up to three, we paid 600 DKK or $105. for two of us. There are two categories of rooms priced higher than that, but all of them are very small. The rooms are the same price year-round. If you want their buffet breakfast, it is another $12.50 per person.

A taxi (station wagon) for four of us from our ship docked at Freeport to the hotel was 122 DKK or $21.35, and from the CabInn Hotel to the airport was 280 DKK or $49. You are not expected to tip the driver as a gratuity is included in the fare. We just left Copenhagen yesterday.

I am in the process of planning a family cruise for 14 people (age range: 9-80 years old). We will land in CPH at 1:15pm on Jun 11, 2013. Our cruise is on jun12 (Norwegian Star-9 day round trip from Copenhagen). I am stressed out a little, so please help me.

1. We need 4 hotel rooms (3 quads and 1 double) for 1 night pre cruise, and we don't need fancy one, just need to be safe and convenient.

2. In Barcelona, there are several tour companies that offer private pick up from the airport, half day tour and drop off at the hotel. Is there one in Copenhagen?

3. On june 12, for transfer from hotel to cruise, what are my options?

Thanks so much.

We stayed at the Clarion Collection Hotel Mayfair. it was just fine. We walked to the train station with luggage (5 minutes)

It is across the street from a strip club that doesn't bother anyone. Area is safe. Copenhagen is safe. A big bonus, breakfast and a simple but filling buffet dinner are included. 10 minutes from Tivoli (by the way, Tivoli is a tired and over rated amusement park).

Ask for a room in the back if possible. Check it out on trip Advisor.

We also stayed at the Clarion Mayfair one night post cruise. Having breakfast and a buffet lunch included in the price was a definite plus. Also, we wanted a hotel located close to the Centraal train station. It's so easy to walk to the train station with our luggage and catch the train directly to the airport. There's an elevator in the train station and train cars are designed to carry passengers with luggage. We were quite impressed with the transportation system in Copenhagen.

The strip club across the street was not bothersome at all.

Hello newbees,

Add another vote for the Clarion Mayfair.Lovely rooms and great staff.(By the way, in Europe, most hotel rooms are quite small)

We got the train down from the airport to Central Station and it was a short walk from there.Although it was supposed to be the red light district, we felt safe and it was very quiet.

You are also a short walk from Tivoli Gdns, we went once for a stroll in the evening, but thought it was a bit like a theme park.

The breakfast and buffet dinner were a bonus,as Alaskanb says eating out is expensive. We stopped at a little cafe and ordered 2 coffees and one piece of chocolate cake and it was 25Euros :eek:

We ordered taxis from reception when we were ready to go to the ship.

There were 6 couples and we just ordered 3 taxis.

It is a beautiful city, hope you have time to explore, we used the HoHo bus and it was great.

Anne

Thanks everybody for all your help. I certainly have a more concrete idea about what to book and plan. If we stay near Tivoli, does anybody know how much a taxi costs to go from CPH to hotel and from hotel to the port where Norwegian Star is?

Thanks everybody for all your help. I certainly have a more concrete idea about what to book and plan. If we stay near Tivoli, does anybody know how much a taxi costs to go from CPH to hotel and from hotel to the port where Norwegian Star is?

About 20 euros from city to port. Euros are not official but our taxi took them (he charged a poor conversion but that was OK with us)