How to get to Portofino/Santa Margarita from Genoa Port

NewCruiserMPC

I've researched this forum but cannot find anything current.

We would like to go to Portofino and Santa Margarita on our own. Any suggestions on how to get there via train/public transport from the Genoa Port?

Is it fairly easy to do or should we just book a private excursion?

Princess offers this excursion. Has anyone taken it? What were your thoughts. We have only done one other cruise excursion and felt rushed throughout the whole thing.

It's a short, easy walk from the cruise port in Genova to the Piazza Principe station, where you can get a train to Santa Margherita.

The train trip takes between 30 - 45 minutes, depending on the train, and costs between €3,40 to €8 each way.

From Santa Margherita to Portofino is a short bus or taxi ride.

It's a short, easy walk from the cruise port in Genova to the Piazza Principe station, where you can get a train to Santa Margherita.

The train trip takes between 30 - 45 minutes, depending on the train, and costs between €3,40 to €8 each way.

From Santa Margherita to Portofino is a short bus or taxi ride.

Agreed. You can also walk from Santa Margherita Ligure to Portofino if you have the time and enjoy walking. It can take about a 1 hour. You just follow the road which follows the shore line so you get some beautiful views out to the sea, looking back at SML and also as you come into Portofino from above. I personally love this walk, and do it every time as opposed to anything else. There is also an option of taking a ferry from SML to Portofino.

As the first responder has indicated "easy as" - just take the train from Genova Piazza Principe station to St Margherita Ligure 30 - 40 minutes. Bus or taxi from station to tiney Portofino around 20 minutes . Train times on Trenitalia website .

• 1 month later...
I've researched this forum but cannot find anything current.

We would like to go to Portofino and Santa Margarita on our own. Any suggestions on how to get there via train/public transport from the Genoa Port?

Is it fairly easy to do or should we just book a private excursion?

Princess offers this excursion. Has anyone taken it? What were your thoughts. We have only done one other cruise excursion and felt rushed throughout the whole thing.

We are planning on the same excursion on our own, but want to make sure that our reading of the Trenitalia timetable is accurate. The Equinox is arriving on Monday July 6th in Genoa at 7:00 AM and departing at 6:00 PM. The Trenitalia website indicates that there is a 9:47 AM departure from Genoa Piazza Principe that arrives in Santa Margherita at 10:20. The return would be 3:39 PM from Santa Margherita, arriving in Genoa Piazza Principe at 4:15 PM. Am I missing an earlier departure from Genoa that we could take? :confused: Should we be comfortable with the 4:15 return? Also, while we are at it... any recommendations for a good place to get lunch in Portofino or Santa Margherita? Thanks!

We are planning on the same excursion on our own, but want to make sure that our reading of the Trenitalia timetable is accurate. The Equinox is arriving on Monday July 6th in Genoa at 7:00 AM and departing at 6:00 PM. The Trenitalia website indicates that there is a 9:47 AM departure from Genoa Piazza Principe that arrives in Santa Margherita at 10:20. The return would be 3:39 PM from Santa Margherita, arriving in Genoa Piazza Principe at 4:15 PM. Am I missing an earlier departure from Genoa that we could take? :confused: Should we be comfortable with the 4:15 return? Also, while we are at it... any recommendations for a good place to get lunch in Portofino or Santa Margherita? Thanks!

There will be earlier trains on the regionale service but these are not shown online until closer to the date. They usually leave about every 30-40 minutes and are cheaper but slower. The timetables for the regional trains are usually released about a month in advance and you can just buy tickets at the train station when you get there (If you buy a regional train ticket though, remember to stamp it in the yellow box otherwise you will face a fine if inspected).

Portofino restaurants are expensive as they are dotted along the harbour and it is a touristy spot. If you want cheaper food you should try some of the places in Santa Margherita Ligure. In Portofino, I've heard Da Puny and Trattoria del marinaio are good. In Santa Margherita, check out Antonio's for good seafood, Reve or Delfino for Pizza.

There will be earlier trains on the regionale service but these are not shown online until closer to the date. They usually leave about every 30-40 minutes and are cheaper but slower. The timetables for the regional trains are usually released about a month in advance and you can just buy tickets at the train station when you get there (If you buy a regional train ticket though, remember to stamp it in the yellow box otherwise you will face a fine if inspected).

Portofino restaurants are expensive as they are dotted along the harbour and it is a touristy spot. If you want cheaper food you should try some of the places in Santa Margherita Ligure. In Portofino, I've heard Da Puny and Trattoria del marinaio are good. In Santa Margherita, check out Antonio's for good seafood, Reve or Delfino for Pizza.

Thanks Flygirl, you really helped with your answer! Do you think, if we leave Genoa by about 8:30 AM for Santa Margherita and Portofino, that we might be able to also stop by at Camogli on the way back in the afternoon from Santa Margherita to Genoa? It seems we could stop by for an hour at Camogli, but I'm not sure that would be advisable with the ship's relatively early 6:00 pm departure from Genoa, and maybe if we have visited both Santa Margherita and Portofino, it would have been a full day already.

• Like 1

Thanks Flygirl, you really helped with your answer! Do you think, if we leave Genoa by about 8:30 AM for Santa Margherita and Portofino, that we might be able to also stop by at Camogli on the way back in the afternoon from Santa Margherita to Genoa? It seems we could stop by for an hour at Camogli, but I'm not sure that would be advisable with the ship's relatively early 6:00 pm departure from Genoa, and maybe if we have visited both Santa Margherita and Portofino, it would have been a full day already.

I think you would have to play it by ear on the day. It would really depend on how much you see and do in Portofino and SML. It would depend on whether you chose to take a bus to Portofino or walked the coastal road. Be aware the buses can get really busy, especially heading back to SML. I like Portofino, it is really pretty, but a bit small and overpriced. SML is just a small town with not much to see but a pretty nice beach, it is just mainly used for people to get to Portofino. If you have the time and are able to do the walk (it isn't particularly strenuous), I really recommend the coast walk as you do get some gorgeous views. Camogli is a beautiful spot if you get the chance. If you're considering that my recommendation when you get to SML train station would be to take a picture of the departures back towards Genoa so you can really way up if it is possible and whether there are enough trains going back towards Genoa from Camogli.

Agreed. You can also walk from Santa Margherita Ligure to Portofino if you have the time and enjoy walking. It can take about a 1 hour. You just follow the road which follows the shore line so you get some beautiful views out to the sea, looking back at SML and also as you come into Portofino from above. I personally love this walk, and do it every time as opposed to anything else. There is also an option of taking a ferry from SML to Portofino.

Hi, we would love to do this walk starting from Portofino. Is it easy to find where to start from? I have searched online for a map but so far haven't found one.

Hi, we would love to do this walk starting from Portofino. Is it easy to find where to start from? I have searched online for a map but so far haven't found one.

It is pretty easy. From the train station (it is located at the top of a hill so to speak), head down towards the beach and sea (there are some steps to do that) or take a bus from the station but it really isn't that difficult to direct yourself. Then just follow the coastline and it is fairly self explanatory. You will probably see others doing it too. Here are two webpages I've found that explain it for you:

http://www.apathtolunch.com/2014/05/getting-to-portofino-walking-hiking-and.html

http://www.portofinotrek.com/trek/lang-en/da-santa-margherita-ligure/83-passeggiata-santa-margherita-ligure-portofino.html

• Like 1