in Amsterdam---

englander

We get off the ship Tuesday, May 15th around 7am. Walking over to train station, take the train to Schipol Airport. From there find our hotel's free shuttle, unload our luggage (they have told me they will keep it for us) Staying over for only one night.

I was thinking of getting the 1-day pass and go by train to Zaanse Schans, Volendam, and the ferry from Volendam to Marken.

If I go to these 3 towns, in which order should we go to them? I've read a lot of tour descriptions and they all seem to be going the same places. Zaanse Schans sounds like a combination of windmills, cheese tasting and clogs all in one area for tourists, I suppose. Are these places fun or simply ridiculously touristy?

Are there better places to go to see real windmills, cheese factory, and real clog makers?

Problem is is going to Zaanse Schans and then fo/from Volendam you need to travel back to Amsterdam. Only during summer highseason there is a special bus, but very unlikely in May.

Zaanse Schans is fun and informative, but on weekends sometimes packed. You can visit various windmills (entrance fee), see how clogs are made, taste many cheeses etc. You can get there by bus or train. https://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/

Volendam is a place where people work and live, along the main dike many shops and restaurants. Also there is the ferry going to Marken and back. For all details of public transport check this site: https://9292.nl/en