Directions from Liverpool Steet station to Heathrow

What are the easiest directions using the tube (carrying luggage) to get to Heathrow Terminal 3 on a Saturday morning?

Download this map:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

Liverpool Street is located in square C6 and you need to follow to the Southwest directions.

1. option:

Central Line to Holborn and then Picadilly Line to Heathrow

2. option:

Circle Line to South Kensington and then Picadilly Line to Heathrow

3. option:

Circle Line or Hammersmith and City Line to Paddington and then Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect to Heathrow

4. option:

Circle Line to Victoria and then National Express Bus to Heathrow

Regards,

HeinBloed

What are the easiest directions using the tube (carrying luggage) to get to Heathrow Terminal 3 on a Saturday morning?

If you're traveling to Heathrow on the day of the end of a cruise that ends in Southampton, you might be better off taking the National Express Bus directly from Southampton to Heathrow. http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

If you're traveling from Liverpool Street Underground Station in London to Heathrow Terminal 3 and don't want to drag your luggage up or down stairs or escalators (i.e., elevators or ramps only), you might want to go to the Tube journey planner website, click on advanced options, enter the to/from destinations, the date, the approximate time, etc........then unclick the type of transportation you don't want and click on the restrictions you have (e.g., can't use stairs or escalators, etc.), then click Search at the bottom of the page and the planner will give you a few journey choices that will meet your requirements. Then click on view beside each choice and it will give you very descriptive instructions, and maps of the stations. Go to this website and poke around and you'll quickly get the hang of it..... http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/default.aspx

At Liverpool Street Tube, you want the eastbound Circle Line. This may be signed "Circle Line eastbound", "Circle Line via Tower Hill", "Circle Line via Monument" or something like that. The next station after Liverpool Street is Aldgate - that's the direction you want. The reason for this is that there should be step-free access to the platform in this direction but not to any other Tube platform at Liverpool Street.

At some point between Tower Hill and South Kensington, you must change to a District Line train. I would suggest a station like Temple, which will be quiet on a Saturday morning and which also allows a same platform change. Get off the Circle Line train and wait on the same platform for a District Line train. Do not get on a train that goes to Wimbledon (or any station down that branch). You want an Ealing Broadway branch train or a Richmond branch train (almost of these trains will actually go to Ealing Broadway or Richmond).

Change again at Barons Court. Get off the District Line train, cross the platform, and get on a Piccadilly Line train for Heathrow. All Heathrow trains will go to the station for Terminals 1, 2 and 3. However, the Terminal 4 trains go to T4 first, and then to T123 - sometimes these trains can wait at T4 for a few minutes. If you get on a Terminal 5 train, that calls at T123 before T5.

This is the easiest way of doing it with luggage, as it minimises the lifting you need to do. There should be no stairs, and only relatively small level changes between platforms and train floors. Both changes of Tube train require minimal movement.

If the weather is bad, change at Hammersmith rather than Barons Court. You have to move your luggage a little further across the wider platform, but it's more sheltered. Otherwise, the principle is the same as for Barons Court.

Unfortunately, all of HeinBloed's options will involve negotiating stairs. In my view, the disadvantage of having to make two (easy) changes rather than one is far outweighed by the hassle (sometimes serious) of taking luggage along any of those four one-change routes.

Final bit of warning: You may find your plans stymied if there are engineering works that mean that parts of the Tube lines you need are suspended on the day that you want to travel. You should check this out at http://www.tfl.gov.uk beforehand.

If you're traveling to Heathrow on the day of the end of a cruise that ends in Southampton, you might be better off taking the National Express Bus directly from Southampton to Heathrow.
As the OP is going to be at Liverpool Street station, I rather suspect that (if she's just off a cruise at all) it's a cruise that finished at Harwich not Southampton.

Thanks to everyone for their quick replies. Yes, we will returning from a Baltic cruise that arrives at Harwich. We're 2 retired school teachers whose husbands have elected to stay home and go fishing! So, we're on our own and looking forward to a wonderful cruise experience. At this point we are examing all of our options as to returning to Heathrow in a timely manner as our flight returns to central California at 12:50PM. We also discovered through this board that Celebrity offers an early morning transfer. We tend to lean towards "adventurous", but after 14 days of exploring all of the ports (except for SPB) on our own, we may just call it a day and let someone else lead the way! Your info on what tube stations are the most user friendly will certainly come in handy for some of our other tube adventures!

To all of you............may all of your traveling adventures be safe ones!

Traveling Kathy

Thanks to everyone for their quick replies. Yes, we will returning from a Baltic cruise that arrives at Harwich. We're 2 retired school teachers whose husbands have elected to stay home and go fishing! So, we're on our own and looking forward to a wonderful cruise experience. At this point we are examing all of our options as to returning to Heathrow in a timely manner as our flight returns to central California at 12:50PM. We also discovered through this board that Celebrity offers an early morning transfer. We tend to lean towards "adventurous", but after 14 days of exploring all of the ports (except for SPB) on our own, we may just call it a day and let someone else lead the way! Your info on what tube stations are the most user friendly will certainly come in handy for some of our other tube adventures!

To all of you............may all of your traveling adventures be safe ones!

Unless you get off the ship at dark'o'clock, you'll never make a 12:50 flight, as it's 120 miles from Harwich to Heathrow. Assuming you could drive it in 2.5 hours (fast, but it is a weekend), and you need to be there 2.5 hours before your flight, the very latest you could leave Harwich is 0750

Thanks for your advice! We plan on self-disembarking and catching the 6:06AM train from Harwich and arriving at Liverpool Street station @ 7:33AM. Looking at that timeframe, do you think it is still possible with following Globaliser's tube instructions, to still arrive @ Heathrow #3 in time for 12:50PM flight?

Traveling Kathy

Thanks for your advice! We plan on self-disembarking and catching the 6:06AM train from Harwich and arriving at Liverpool Street station @ 7:33AM. Looking at that timeframe, do you think it is still possible with following Globaliser's tube instructions, to still arrive @ Heathrow #3 in time for 12:50PM flight?

Traveling Kathy

While the boat says it docks at <x> o'clock, it's unlikely you'll ever be able to get right off it at that time. If you do catch the 6:06 train that's great, but not trying to be a downer, but you're looking at 1h30 to London, at least an hour by tube all the way across london to Heathrow, plus a few changes. I'm pretty sure BA want you to check in at LEAST 2 hours in advance, which all makes for a pretty tight schedule. Do you have shuttle times from the cruise line? What do they recommend? Has anyone else managed to get off and grab the 06:06 train?

I would double check in the roll call, and past roll calls to see what time people managed to get off their ship. I've rarely been able to get off within 2 hours of scheduled docking, and we ALWAYS drag our own luggage off with 'priority departure'

The information I received from members of some of the

roll calls is that Celebrity offers a 5:30AM shuttle to Heathrow from Harwich. Apparently we will be able to purchase the transfer on the ship. But, in case we are feeling adventurous, or there is no room left on the bus...............we want to be ready for plan "B".

Thanks for your input!

Traveling Kathy

The information I received from members of some of the

roll calls is that Celebrity offers a 5:30AM shuttle to Heathrow from Harwich. Apparently we will be able to purchase the transfer on the ship. But, in case we are feeling adventurous, or there is no room left on the bus...............we want to be ready for plan "B".

Looks like =X= dock extra early to deal with the fact that a lot of their US guests have mid day flights, so probably you'll be OK.

.....Yes, we will returning from a Baltic cruise that arrives at Harwich. We're...looking forward to a wonderful cruise experience. ...... To all of you............may all of your traveling adventures be safe ones!

Traveling Kathy

Have a safe and pleasant trip from CA to Heathrow to London to Harwich!:) We'll probably cross paths somewhere along the way........

We plan on self-disembarking and catching the 6:06AM train from Harwich and arriving at Liverpool Street station @ 7:33AM. Looking at that timeframe, do you think it is still possible with following Globaliser's tube instructions, to still arrive @ Heathrow #3 in time for 12:50PM flight?
I think that the Tube journey from Liverpool Street to Terminal 3 will take you something like 1¾ hours overall, so you could expect to get to T3 at about 9.15 am. In my view, that gives you lots of margin (you'd be at check-in 3½ hours before departure) and you might be quite safe with taking the next train, but much depends on your appetite for risk.

My "appetite for risk" is usually determined by the number of Margarita's I've had, but at that hour I'll just have to order very strong coffee and forge ahead!

Thank you again for your helpful information and words of encouragement!

England........here we come!

Traveling Kathy

There is industrial action scheduled by the rail trade union against the train company that operates the Harwich - Liverpool Street station trains on the 6/7th, 13/14th and 20/21st August.

Thank you for the information. Since we are returning to Harwich on Sat., Aug. 22, I am hoping that this "industrial action" will be resolved by then. If not, a hitch-hiking we will go!

Traveling Kathy

Since we are returning to Harwich on Sat., Aug. 22, I am hoping that this "industrial action" will be resolved by then.
It might be worth having a look at what happens this coming weekend, to see whether the strike that's on now has a knock-on effect this Saturday morning.

Of course, as you say, the industrial action might well be resolved by the time you travel anyway.

It might be worth having a look at what happens this coming weekend, to see whether the strike that's on now has a knock-on effect this Saturday morning.

Of course, as you say, the industrial action might well be resolved by the time you travel anyway.

OK......where do I go to have a "look"? Is there a website I can visit to see the progress of this "industrial action"? Thanks for any information you can provide!

Traveling Kathy

I would try this page - Service disruptions - and also check the live departures and arrivals.

You really just want to get a feel for whether there are any knock-on effects tomorrow morning, or whether the positioning of all the equipment meant that the service could just pick up a standard Saturday start from where everything left off on Wednesday evening.

I would try this page - Service disruptions - and also check the live departures and arrivals.

You really just want to get a feel for whether there are any knock-on effects tomorrow morning, or whether the positioning of all the equipment meant that the service could just pick up a standard Saturday start from where everything left off on Wednesday evening.

Darn, I knew that skipping out on that college Topography class would someday come back to haunt me! I keep staring at the map that is showing the "Engineering work" between Wickford and Southminster on Aug. 22 and for the life of me I can't tell if it affects the route between Harwich and Liverpool Street station. It also talks about buses being supplied along certain routes. If we end up on one of those, the big question is...............would we still get to Liverpool Street Station on time to catch the tube to get out to Heathrow for our 12:50PM flight home?

I guess I better take their website along and check via email from the Constellation the day before.

Can someone out there please tell me that I am over-reacting and have nothing to worry about?!!

Traveling Kathy

I keep staring at the map that is showing the "Engineering work" between Wickford and Southminster on Aug. 22 and for the life of me I can't tell if it affects the route between Harwich and Liverpool Street station.
If you look at the page describing that work - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/2009/08/22/le/engineeringworks.html - you'll see a link that says: "Additional Maps Wickford Southminster".

Click that link to get a map, and compare it with this map of the entire network, to see that that work won't affect your journey at all.

Archived