Sheraton LA Harbour Hotel Questions???

CoolCanadian

I have reservations at the Sheraton in March of 2005. We're staying in a club room. How is the breakfast, evening appetizers and drinks? Is there anything that I can do around the hotel with three kids 16, 14 and 10? We're arriving at 3:00 pm so there isn't alot of time before it gets dark and from what I've read, it's better not to walk around late at night. It's a shame we won't have a car to tour LA even though we've never been there before. How much have you paid for a cab for four from LAX to the Sheraton?

Thank you, Susan and Kids :cool:

Hi, Susan. I've been told cabfare from LAX to San Pedro is around $60.00, which is not a whole lot more than a shuttle. People here on CC have said that a car service with a town car can be gotten for around $55. We're going on the Vision in March, and my family of four is going in a couple of days early and staying at Venice Beach; however, my parents are going as well (but only one day early) and staying at the Sheraton. Did you know that they have a deal that includes transfers to and from the airport and to the cruise port? It is called their fly/sail package. You might want to look into that. Also, the Queen Mary is nearby and available for tours, including one that has to do with ghosthunting.:eek: Your kids might enjoy that. Happy sailing! :) Cheryl

If your flight arrives at 3, it'll be 5 or so before you're settled at the hotel, so that won't leave much time for touring at night. The Sheraton has free shuttle service locally, so you could get them to take you to Ports O'Call, which is mostly a collection of restaurants. If there's a cruise leaving from San Pedro the night you arrive, you could arrive in time to wave at them as they leave the channel. I think the shuttle will also pick you up from a restaurant so you won't have to walk back in the dark.

If you're planning on boarding the ship early (noonish), you also won't have time to do Long Beach "properly" (i.e., without rushing). It's about 20 minutes away & will cost you at least $20 each way in cab fare. But if you're planning on boarding at 2-3pm, then I'd say go for it - in addition to the Queen Mary, there's a nice aquarium nearby, and lots of fun restaurants & shopping. You might even see if one of the Long Beach hotels has a deal and maybe could get you to the ship in their shuttles. There are a Westin, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, the West Coast Hotel, and more that I can't remember.

It's been a couple years but when we stayed there they had wonderful food from room service. We were not all that wild about the area the hotel is located in and didn't really feel safe on the streets at night but that might just have been us coming from the midwest and not being used to such areas.

Nice hotel though! We'd stay there again for sure.

I agree that the area is pretty, well, port-like, not surprisingly. But there are some nice restaurants in Ports O'Call that DH & I frequent (we live nearby) and that I think the hotel will drive you to and from for free. Acapulco for Mexican (it's a chain, but the food is pretty tasty, IMHO), 22nd Street Landing for seafood (and a view of the fishing boats) are our favorites. There's a Maritime Museum, there, too, but I've never been inside (typical local), so I can't tell you what it's all about.

Oh, for transportation to/from LAX, check out Sky Limo or ExecuCar. They will get you there in style (a nice Lincoln Towncar), for about $55-60 (we pay that from our house, which isn't too far from the pier).

I agree that the area is pretty, well, port-like, not surprisingly. But there are some nice restaurants in Ports O'Call that DH & I frequent (we live nearby) and that I think the hotel will drive you to and from for free. Acapulco for Mexican (it's a chain, but the food is pretty tasty, IMHO), 22nd Street Landing for seafood (and a view of the fishing boats) are our favorites. There's a Maritime Museum, there, too, but I've never been inside (typical local), so I can't tell you what it's all about.

Oh, for transportation to/from LAX, check out Sky Limo or ExecuCar. They will get you there in style (a nice Lincoln Towncar), for about $55-60 (we pay that from our house, which isn't too far from the pier).

Thanks for the advice regarding the car. Someone on here said I wouldn't be able to get the luggage for a family of four into a town car's trunk. :confused: That just doesn't seem right to me. I think there would be plenty of room, don't you? Thanks. Cheryl

My daughter and I don't necessarily travel light, but if we need extra room, we'll just leave my husband's and son's stuff at the airport. -- Just kidding. ;) I think we'll be fine. We've always gotten the luggage into a cab without a problem. The stretch limo would be great, but I think that would be a bit too pricy. Thanks for all the help. Cheryl

I don't need luxury transportation for myself and three kids. I am still interested in taking a cab if it is less expensive than a Lincoln town car. Will a cab charge a flat rate or by meter? How much do you tip a driver? I've read reviews that a cab from the ship's pier to LAX is $40.00.

I don't need luxury transportation for myself and three kids. I am still interested in taking a cab if it is less expensive than a Lincoln town car. Will a cab charge a flat rate or by meter? How much do you tip a driver? I've read reviews that a cab from the ship's pier to LAX is $40.00.

I was quoted around $60 by several L.A. natives here on the boards. I never heard a response under $55, and if that's the case, the car would be a better deal. You might not NEED luxury transportation, but if it's cheaper, why not??? :D Cheryl

We find the town car service to be cheaper than a cab from our place to LAX. Plus, the cab is on the meter, so one good traffic jam (and we have legendary jams here) and your price is through the roof. Execucar's number is (800) 413-4020, Sky Car is (800) 359-1800; call them for a quote. And the cars are clean & pleasant to be in, which won't always be the case with a cab.

Has any one used the fly and cruise package offered through the sheraton??? Seems like $199 for the night is good since you get a shuttle from the airport to the hotel, from hotel to pier and then back from the pier to airport. anyone have thoughts on this????

Has any one used the fly and cruise package offered through the sheraton??? Seems like $199 for the night is good since you get a shuttle from the airport to the hotel, from hotel to pier and then back from the pier to airport. anyone have thoughts on this????

That's what my parents are doing, since they are coming in for the cruise the night before. It really is a good deal. The only reason we are not doing it is because we are staying in L.A. a couple of extra days pre-cruise at Venice Beach, because we've never actually been there before (unless you count layovers at LAX). If we weren't doing that, I would definitely do the Sheraton deal.

Archived