Kona top 5 things to do.

redzin

If you snorkel with Captain Zodiac does he drop you in deep water? Can you get to the area he takes you to by car? DH and I prefer more shallow water. Can you give us more info. Thanks so much.

Kealakekua is not easily accessable by car. The stop is beautiful and one of the best snorkeling sites I have ever been to. The raft is fun and we saw several dolphins. The water is deep where you get out of the boat.

Edited by hoosierdaddy10

I will be finding out in a couple of weeks or so - stay tuned for lots of pictures. I think the actual snorkeling is in shallow water, but you don't want to jump in on top of coral, anyway.

If you are going to drive around, I think the Revealed series of books is excellent. Available at Amazon and others

51AQpEPlPzL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Hawaii-Big-Island-Revealed-Guidebook/dp/098146100X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270607924&sr=8-1

• Driving tours let you structure your trip your way, point out sights not to be missed along the way and are complemented by 120 spectacular color photographs

Edited by Sargent_Schultz

Will definitely get the book. We have a driver now - Mel in Hilo and debating using him for Kilo or keeping our car renatal from Enterprise. We are 3 couples. The car will be less expensive but it is so nice to have someone pick you up and take you around.

We plan on snorkeling Kealakekua Bay with Captani Zodiac, but you don't need a car for that one

http://www.captainzodiac.com/

Did you book this on your own or is there available through the ship also? I am concerned because we bookeed the morning tour with Capt Zodiac, and they said they will be waiting at the port when the ship arrives, however since it is a tender port, I am concerned that I won't be off the ship right away. I emailed then again yesterday and they reassured me, but I am still being paranoid I guess!!

Did you book this on your own or is there available through the ship also? I am concerned because we bookeed the morning tour with Capt Zodiac, and they said they will be waiting at the port when the ship arrives, however since it is a tender port, I am concerned that I won't be off the ship right away. I emailed then again yesterday and they reassured me, but I am still being paranoid I guess!!

We booked through the ship. It costs more, but is a cheap cure for paranoia.

It they say they will be there, then I would think they would. They probably know the ship schedules better than the ships do.

Cell phones should work fine in Hawaii, so if you have any delays you might call them and let them know. Also I wouldn't piddle trying to catch a tender. I'd try to be early for the first ones available. Depending on how many people you are, you could try to merge with a ship tour and sneak off that way.

Years ago I'd book direct with companies and never missed an excursion, but now I'd rather pay more and avoid the hassle and anxiety. I'm on vacation. :)

I too like the OP's question and hope others will considering chiming in with their answers. I have the Revealed book, but always like to hear what others liked (or didn't like). I don't want to do an excursion. I just want to rent a car and drive to swimming, snorkeling and any other suggestions.

We got in line to get off the ship around 7:40 and were on the pier a little bit after 8. The Captain Zodiac people were getting off the ship at that time.( I assume the ship tour and the privately booked ones.) Captain Zodiac had multiple boats waiting in the water and they would just load them in groups as the people came.

We had booked through another company and loaded at the same place, when we left there were still several Capt Z boats waiting to load.

The Body Glove boat did leave right after we got to the pier. I think there were two people on our tender and they may have been the last two for that tour.

Things to do in Kona? Surf lessons- just up the road from Kona...a little beach with a Blue roofed church in the corner. We used Teddy Bear Surf Lessons- they were great with the kids and the adults.

Sounds hokey, but the Sea Horse Farm is actually very cool and the shoreline is interesting right there. You see the sea horses from little tiny babies all the way up to full grown. You get to feed them and also get to hold one at the end of the tour! My kids(15,13,11at the time) loved it.

A bit of a drive to some of the sandy beaches, but they are nice. This site has a list

http://www.konaweb.com/beaches/index.shtml

We drove to Southpoint while staying in Kona and went to Green Sand beach as well. Not sure if this is a good one to try or not, it takes over an hour to drive there and the hike is a little over two miles.

kristy

Kealakekua is not easily accessable by car. The stop is beautiful and one of the best snorkeling sites I have ever been to. The raft is fun and we saw several dolphins. The water is deep where you get out of the boat.

Actually, it's more than "not easily accessable" by car. With a short port day, you'd have to use virtually the entire day just getting to and from K-Bay on your own. You have to either go by car, park, and then hike at least 1 hour each way--uphill all the way on the return--in a hot climate and where you have to schlep all your gear and water in with you or kayak, which means driving to the south end of the bay, renting a kayak, kayaking over with all your stuff, finding a place to pull up the kayak (not on coral), and then do the reverse.

A boat excursion is really the only way to snorkel K-Bay at the north Captain Cook monument end. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!:D

I will be finding out in a couple of weeks or so - stay tuned for lots of pictures. I think the actual snorkeling is in shallow water, but you don't want to jump in on top of coral, anyway.

If you are going to drive around, I think the Revealed series of books is excellent. Available at Amazon and others

51AQpEPlPzL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Hawaii-Big-Island-Revealed-Guidebook/dp/098146100X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270607924&sr=8-1

• Driving tours let you structure your trip your way, point out sights not to be missed along the way and are complemented by 120 spectacular color photographs

You're absolutely right. The last thing you want to do is get a coral cut. Bad news. (Now let me get on my soapbox, just a teeny bit.) It's more than just that we don't want to jump in on top of coral. It's that standing on it, hitting it, breaking it, and even touching it can damage and kill coral, which is vital to the health of the oceans. That's why the boat excursions for K-Bay are good. They are out far enough that it shouldn't be a concern.

The Revealed books are really helpful. Our favorite "get to it on your own" snorkel spots south of Kona are at Honaunau Bay (next to Place of Refuge) and Two Step (in the same area).

beachchick

Edited by beachchick

We've been to the Kona side many times. Here are some thoughts...

I second (third?) the recommendation that you pick up the "Big Island Revealed" guide book. Best guide I've ever had.

If you like to snorkel, Kealakekua Bay (aka K-Bay or Captain Cook's Monument) is the best, but you do need to do this via an excursion. Captain Zodiac is a good choice, but for ease of access to the water and availability of snorkel gear, flotation aids, food, etc, you might consider FairWinds (http://www.fair-wind.com). If you want some snorkeling close to Kailua town, Kahalu'u beach is just south of town on Ali'i drive. The coral isn't nearly as nice as Kealakekua Bay, but it's easy access with lots of fish and turtles.

If you're looking for a beach day, rent a car and go north to Hapuna beach or, if you can find parking, Mauna Kea beach. Neither will disappoint. Hapuna is one of the best in all the islands, and you can rent beach chairs & umbrellas, boogie boards, etc.

If you're looking to rent high-quality snorkel gear, including prescription masks, I recommend Snorkel Bob's. (http://www.snorkelbob.com) Not only is their equipment of the highest quality (we ended up buying ours), you can rent it on your first island stop and return it at your last as they have locations on every island. Much better than renting or buying the cheap stuff.

If you're looking for a driving tour, I strongly suggest using the Big Island Revealed guide book as your guide for the day. You can head south of Kailua town towards Captain Cook and southpoint, visiting places like the Refuge and Painted Church on the way. Or, you can head north towards Waimea (cowboy country) and on towards the Pololu Valley overlook and trail. Both directions have their advantages, and the book can help you decide which direction to go. One of the unique things about the Big Island is the amount of open space available. Remember, the land area of the Big Island is more than that of all of the other islands in the Hawaiian island chain combined. So, if you like to drive and explore, this is the island to do it on.

If you're looking for some relaxed walking and shopping, Kailua town is really nice for browsing, with many quaint shops, good restaurants, etc.

Lot's of options on the Big Island. It's really up to what you like to do. Again, the "Big Island Revealed" guide book is a must.

You'll have a great time whatever you decide to do.

Aloha...

We've been to the Kona side many times. Here are some thoughts...

I second (third?) the recommendation that you pick up the "Big Island Revealed" guide book. Best guide I've ever had.

If you like to snorkel, Kealakekua Bay (aka K-Bay or Captain Cook's Monument) is the best, but you do need to do this via an excursion. Captain Zodiac is a good choice, but for ease of access to the water and availability of snorkel gear, flotation aids, food, etc, you might consider FairWinds (http://www.fair-wind.com). If you want some snorkeling close to Kailua town, Kahalu'u beach is just south of town on Ali'i drive. The coral isn't nearly as nice as Kealakekua Bay, but it's easy access with lots of fish and turtles.

If you're looking for a beach day, rent a car and go north to Hapuna beach or, if you can find parking, Mauna Kea beach. Neither will disappoint. Hapuna is one of the best in all the islands, and you can rent beach chairs & umbrellas, boogie boards, etc.

If you're looking to rent high-quality snorkel gear, including prescription masks, I recommend Snorkel Bob's. (http://www.snorkelbob.com) Not only is their equipment of the highest quality (we ended up buying ours), you can rent it on your first island stop and return it at your last as they have locations on every island. Much better than renting or buying the cheap stuff.

If you're looking for a driving tour, I strongly suggest using the Big Island Revealed guide book as your guide for the day. You can head south of Kailua town towards Captain Cook and southpoint, visiting places like the Refuge and Painted Church on the way. Or, you can head north towards Waimea (cowboy country) and on towards the Pololu Valley overlook and trail. Both directions have their advantages, and the book can help you decide which direction to go. One of the unique things about the Big Island is the amount of open space available. Remember, the land area of the Big Island is more than that of all of the other islands in the Hawaiian island chain combined. So, if you like to drive and explore, this is the island to do it on.

If you're looking for some relaxed walking and shopping, Kailua town is really nice for browsing, with many quaint shops, good restaurants, etc.

Lot's of options on the Big Island. It's really up to what you like to do. Again, the "Big Island Revealed" guide book is a must.

You'll have a great time whatever you decide to do.

Aloha...

...and one more thing, if you are snorkeling, we have found that it's well worth the money to rent a wet suit jacket as the Pacific waters can be a bit cool, and especially in places like Kealakekua Bay where there is a lot of spring fed water. Not a problem if you're swimming, but when we snorkel, we spend a lot of time 'hovering' in the water and can get a bit chilled. While not intending to sound too much like an advertisement for Snorkel Bob's, I do know you can rent them there.

Captain Zodiac is a good choice, but for ease of access to the water and availability of snorkel gear, flotation aids, food, etc, you might consider FairWinds (www.fair-wind.com).

Could you clarify this a bit more. What do you mean that Fair Winds has better availability of snorkel gear etc.? Does that mean that on the Zodiac you may not get properly fitted? Also do any of these places offer wetsuits for those not used to cold waters?

I read a review of the Captain Zodiac and the person posting was disappointed they didn't get to any caves or lava tubes as advertised. Would you say this was an exception to the normal trip?

I am looking for a trip for my daughter, age 22 and possible my DH. He is still uncertain. I think if she goes alone we will sign her up for the Zodiac with the cruise ship. If they both go I was looking into the Fair Winds for the shaded boat and bathrooms. I also read good reviews of the Sea Quest, however their boat also does not have shade and I don't think bathrooms, although I will check some more. Sea Quest did tell me that they have never had cruise ship passenger miss their snorkeling tour.

I thought I was all done planning and then last night my DD said she would like to go snorkelng. Earlier she said she wasn't interested, so now I am looking at options for her.

Edited by vbmom87

Could you clarify this a bit more. What do you mean that Fair Winds has better availability of snorkel gear etc.? Does that mean that on the Zodiac you may not get properly fitted? Also do any of these places offer wetsuits for those not used to cold waters?

I didn't mean to imply that Fair Winds has 'better' availability of snorkel gear than Captain Zodiac, as we've never gone with Zodiac for their standard excursion. Having said this, we did do a custom tour with them a few years back, and noted that their boats are smaller than that of Fair Winds with fewer extras such as noodles, etc. I'm sure that Captain Zodiac will have properly fitted snorkel gear, though. As for wet suits, I don't know of any that have them available on their excursions. But I want to stress the 'I don't know' part of this. Perhaps some/most do. Best suggestion is to ask ahead of time.

I read a review of the Captain Zodiac and the person posting was disappointed they didn't get to any caves or lava tubes as advertised. Would you say this was an exception to the normal trip?

Different tours will go different places. My suggestions were around snorkeling at Kealekakua Bay, which does not have caves or lava tubes. As for us, we've never snorkeled in either caves or lava tubes, so don't have any good information on that. Sorry...

I am looking for a trip for my daughter, age 22 and possible my DH. He is still uncertain. I think if she goes alone we will sign her up for the Zodiac with the cruise ship. If they both go I was looking into the Fair Winds for the shaded boat and bathrooms. I also read good reviews of the Sea Quest, however their boat also does not have shade and I don't think bathrooms, although I will check some more. Sea Quest did tell me that they have never had cruise ship passenger miss their snorkeling tour.

I thought I was all done planning and then last night my DD said she would like to go snorkelng. Earlier she said she wasn't interested, so now I am looking at options for her.

Just proves that your NEVER done planning! :) It is, after all, half the fun.

Don't know if I am doing this right, as I am new to the site. We are taking the NCL Hawaii Island cruise July 31 to August 7 this year with another family. We booked several excursions, then NCL cancelled them! So we are trying to book some things on our own. The girls were really looking forward to a tour of the Kona Coffee plantation. Anyone done this before? Worth it? Can one book it on his or her own?

Don't know if I am doing this right, as I am new to the site. We are taking the NCL Hawaii Island cruise July 31 to August 7 this year with another family. We booked several excursions, then NCL cancelled them! So we are trying to book some things on our own. The girls were really looking forward to a tour of the Kona Coffee plantation. Anyone done this before? Worth it? Can one book it on his or her own?

Welcome to Cruise Critic. This is going to be a valuable resource as you continue to plan your cruise. You did just fine posting here. Hopefully someone can help you out with your Coffee Plantation Question. If not, you can start a new topic. To do that, click on "New Thread" near the top left and ask your specific question. However, before you do that, you may want to try the search feature. Near the top right of the page, you will see a button that says "Search this forum." Put in some key words and see what comes up. Personally, I like to click on Advanced Search and then search by Titles only. Otherwise you can get volumes of threads to read and not all are really want you want.

One thing you might want to consider in Kona is renting a car.Then you will have the freedom to go to a coffee plantation as well as other sites. Right across the street from the pier is the King Kam Hotel. From there you can rent from Thrifty or Dollar. The thing about Dollar is you have to say you are returning your car at noon, even if you are keeping it later. From people who have posted here, Dollar has a drop box to leave your keys. I booked with Thrifty since you can book a later drop off time with them. I was not comfortable just leaving my car. I like to have a car rental agent look the car over and sign it off as not having any damages. Yes, I am a bit paranoid.;) ANother option in Kona is Enterprise. YOu call them and they will come to the pier and pick you up. It is about a 10 minute ride from what has been posted here. If you go with a car rental, just make sure you DO NOT RENT FROM THE AIRPORT LOCATIONS. Unlike the other ports, the airport is too far away and you will waste too much time, plus the cost of the taxi to get there and back.

One more thing. When you post, scroll down and select a notification type if you want to get emails when someone has responded to the thread you have been reading. You can even do this for threads you have not posted on. Do do this, look near the top right and you will see a box that says "thread tools." Click on it and then select "Subscribe to this thread." Then choose what kind of notification you would like. This is most helpful as you don't have to keep looking for the hold threads you were following.

If you don't want to rent a car, Roberts is a tour company that many people use. I have read good reviews of them, but have not used them personally. Here is their website for cruisers:

http://www.gorabbitgo.com/

Edited by vbmom87

Found this info on Coffee Plantations:

http://www.gohawaii.com/big-island/guidebook/topics/coffee-plantations

Also found this older thread. You can always post a new thread for more current information.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=754664&highlight=coffee+plantations

I also found this thread on Trip Advisor. It seems to have some good information with additional links within the posts for more information. I hope all this helps.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60872-i269-k1800872-Coffee_Plantations-Kailua_Kona_Island_of_Hawaii_Hawaii.html

Edited by vbmom87

Hawaii Volcano's National Park is pretty amazing. Snorkelling in Kealakekua Bay is also great (both deep and shallow water...you choose). Mauna Kea is cool too!

We're in Kona from 9 to 5. Is it worth going to the Volcano and which site is best? Is it better to rent a car, take a taxi, or go on a tour?

I can't recommend that you visit VNP from Kona unless your ship isn't going to Hilo and VNP is the most important thing for you on the island. You have 8 hours total time and Kona is a tender port, so you'll need to be back at the tender pier by 4ish. Realistically, you'll have about 6 hours of actual port time. It's about 2 hours driving one-way from Kona to the entrance to VNP. I can't imagine spending 4 hours of a short port day in flat out driving to and from VNP. You wouldn't have time to stop for anything and you'd have about 2 hours at VNP, which is easily worth an entire day. Simply not worth it, IMO.

There is no way I'd take a taxi from Kona to VNP. It's more than 90 miles each way! You'd be looking at a ridiculously high taxi fare.

I'm not sure what you mean by "which site is best"? Would you mind clarifying for my feeble brain?

beachchick

Edited by beachchick

Do not try to visit VNP while on a port stop in Kona on a cruise. TOO much driving. And, too much chance of missing your ship if anything would go wrong while on the road. There are plenty of terrific things to do while in Kona without taking this chance.

I can't recommend that you visit VNP from Kona unless your ship isn't going to Hilo...

beachchick

Do not try to visit VNP while on a port stop in Kona on a cruise. TOO much driving. And, too much chance of missing your ship if anything would go wrong while on the road. There are plenty of terrific things to do while in Kona without taking this chance.

Thanks for the info. I guess we don't have enough time to go to VNP. I didn't know that it was 2 hours drive away!

I'm not sure what you mean by "which site is best"? Would you mind clarifying for my feeble brain?

beachchick

I meant where was the best location to view the volcano - I now understand that it is VNP, as you said. Thanks. I will save the volcano for a Hawaii vacation instead.