Bringing Soda Pop on the Ship

I have a few questions concerning soda... Trivial I know.

I read on the "first time cruisers'" forum that some people take cases of soda/pop with them and check it with their luggage at the dock by taping their luggage tag to the case. I read that some ships and cruise lines allow this and others do not.... Now to my questions:

Does Oasis serve Coke or Pepsi? If Coke, do they have Coke Zero, or only Diet?

Has anyone tried bringing soda onto the ship?

If so, did you just tape the luggage tag to the case, or did you put the cases into a big duffel?

If you are able to bring sodas on, is there a gas station or grocery store VERY close to port where our cab could stop between the hotel and port?

My husband has a bit of a Diet Pepsi addiction, and I'd pick up some Diet Pepsi on our way to port for him if we're allowed to take it. If the ship serves Diet Pepsi though we'd probably just buy the soda package. If they have Coke Zero (his second choice) we'd probably do the package for him also.

If one person gets the soda package, does everyone in the party have to? I would be happy with the water/tea/lemonade available on the ship. (It seems like they'd have problems with groups abusing just one soda package.)

Also, if you're in your cabin at night and get thirsty for something other than tap water, what are your options? Are restaurants the only option, or are there vending machines? Fountain stations, etc?

RCI has coke product on board. I believe they only have diet coke, not coke zero but am not sure. One thing to keep in mind, with the soda package you get FOUNTAIN soda, not canned so this further limits the options.

We have always brought some caffeine free diet soda on board without any issues. We always put it into a duffel though, gives us some extra space for all the stuff you accumulate on the trip!

As far as night time, the bars are open quite late and the all serve soda. You may have to find the one that is open but I wouldn't say it is difficult. If you do get soda from room service, it is canned and not part of the soda package.

A soda card is for 1 person so no everyone in the party does not have to get it. If you are good with other beverages (water, lemonade etc or those with more octane - alcohol) no need to get the card for you.

On Oasis right now. My sister brought a case of Diet Pepsi (why don't they let us choose which sodas we want?) because she can't live without it. She put it in her carryon and it came through with her luggage.

On Majesty early June, they had coke zero. At the pool they have the self-serve refill machine that works with the chip embeded cup that comes with the soda package--what a great idea. Hopefully, they will make this fleet-wide.

We always bring a twelve pack of diet ginger ale or diet mountain dew, packed in our luggage, and have never had a problem (except for that one time when one of the cans burst -- it was ugly (and sticky)).

We just went on the 12th and brought a case of water that we checked with our luggage and then brought my diet Dr. Pepper and Sprite in a suitcase that was checked. We just put the sodas in plastic baggies so they would leak and they were just fine.

I just returned and we bought 4 six packs of water on our way to the ship. I kept them each in a white bag and put the luggage tag around the handles. They arrived at our room, no problem. Enjoy this amazing ship!!

We just went on the 12th and brought a case of water that we checked with our luggage and then brought my diet Dr. Pepper and Sprite in a suitcase that was checked. We just put the sodas in plastic baggies so they would leak and they were just fine.

Did you just put a luggage tag on your case of water or did you put the water in a rolling cooler or suitcase or something? Thanks

For those who are putting soda or water in your checked bags, I have a few questions.

When I think of checked luggage, I think of the large bag I would pay extra to check if I were flying on an airplane. When we fly to FLL we will each have a carry-on suitcase, and then we will share a large checked bag. When we get to the port though, do most people "check" their roller carry on bags as well?

How many bags are you all packing who have room for cases of soda in your suitcase?? Are you taking lots of bags? I would imagine that with our formal wear etc, we're not going to have room to stow cases of anything in our suitcases.

For the person who said they checked their soda in white bags with the handles tied, are you just talking about a white plastic grocery bag?

Thanks for all the help.

Has anyone tried bringing soda onto the ship? I usually bring a 6-pack aboard in my carry-on.

If you are able to bring sodas on, is there a gas station or grocery store VERY close to port where our cab could stop between the hotel and port? Yes - there are gas stations right next to the main entrance drive to the port. Your taxi must go past these to get into the port. It's not out in the middle of nowhere like Port Canaveral.

If one person gets the soda package, does everyone in the party have to? I would be happy with the water/tea/lemonade available on the ship. (It seems like they'd have problems with groups abusing just one soda package.) It's a person-by-person basis.

Also, if you're in your cabin at night and get thirsty for something other than tap water, what are your options? Are restaurants the only option, or are there vending machines? Fountain stations, etc? - If you have the Coke package, you can walk up to any bartender and they will fill it for you. The 24-hour cafe (not sure what's it's named on the Oasis?) will also have it available. There are no vending machines, although there is a refrigerator in your cabin.

My answers above, in red.

For those who are putting soda or water in your checked bags, I have a few questions.

When I think of checked luggage, I think of the large bag I would pay extra to check if I were flying on an airplane. When we fly to FLL we will each have a carry-on suitcase, and then we will share a large checked bag. When we get to the port though, do most people "check" their roller carry on bags as well?

How many bags are you all packing who have room for cases of soda in your suitcase?? Are you taking lots of bags? I would imagine that with our formal wear etc, we're not going to have room to stow cases of anything in our suitcases.

For the person who said they checked their soda in white bags with the handles tied, are you just talking about a white plastic grocery bag?

Thanks for all the help.

We pack an extra duffel bag in our suitcase then fill before getting to the port with soda/water. If needed we have it to bring extra stuff back home or its gets folded up and put back in the suitcase to go home.

We check as much as possible at the port since we get there early and since you can't get into the stateroom until after 1 whatever you carry on you need to carry around with you. Just remeber to carry on anything of value, meds, and what you need for that day. Luggage has been getting delivered earlier and earlier but sometimes it takes a while and even sometimes it doesn't show up (rarely).

Did you just put a luggage tag on your case of water or did you put the water in a rolling cooler or suitcase or something? Thanks

We're just off the Oasis today. We took a rolling cooler with a 12 pack of Coke Zero and bottles of water and flavored water. I put a luggage tag on the cooler and checked it in with our luggage. We had no problems. We drove to the port so the extra piece of luggage wasn't a problem, and we had some extra room on the way home for things we had bought.

Archived