wheelchair accessible beaches

COTINGEY

We will be in Aruba in March 2011 and so the planning begins :confused:. Our 14 year old daughter uses a manual wheelchair (she cannot walk). We need to find out what beach is the most accessible to her. Magen's Bay (St. Thomas) and Poipu Beach (Kauai, HI) are a good examples of how far we can push/pull her to get her to the water. Bathrooms, food, water, chaise loungers and shade would be a plus, but not necessary.

Thank you!

I would see if you could contact this company, Adapted Happy Wheels, for assistance with ideas or arrangements. Otherwise, I would contact the Radisson. If memory serves me correctly there would be access to the pools, restaurant and rest room without any stairs. Getting across the sand to the water on the beach though is a different situation. Again, contact the company above.

We will be in Aruba in March 2011 and so the planning begins :confused:. Our 14 year old daughter uses a manual wheelchair (she cannot walk). We need to find out what beach is the most accessible to her. Magen's Bay (St. Thomas) and Poipu Beach (Kauai, HI) are a good examples of how far we can push/pull her to get her to the water. Bathrooms, food, water, chaise loungers and shade would be a plus, but not necessary.

Thank you!

Google "adapted happy wheels aruba". I saw these when I was down there last month, so I googled it and I found it. If you can rent one of these, it would be wonderful. Palm Beach is where the high rise hotels are and there is a beachside walkway that connects all the hotels and restaurants. It is just a matter of getting down to the water. It is not very wide by the Westin, but it is wider than Magen's Bay, if that helps at all. I have found that if you utilize a hotel's beach bar/restaurant they have no problem with you using their restrooms. I hope this helps.

As Got2Cruise said it is a wonderful concept. I am sure Adapted Happy Wheels would have a way to carry your dd down to the water from the concrete walkway. Just email them to find out details.

Archived