Laundry on the Fram?

pmar93

We're leaving on the Fram on February 1 of this year, 2011. After the cruise we're continuing our vacation by spending 2 weeks in Brazil, so we're trying to pack light for the two climates. It will be necessary for us to do laundry during our cruise.

When I emailed Hurtigruten several weeks ago, I was told that the crew does the laundry. However, I've read that there is a self-service coin laundry on Deck 3, I believe.

Is there a recent passenger who can tell me if there is still the coin laundry or has it been removed? Does anyone happen to remember the cost of either the self service or laundry service?

Thank you.

Trish

I've been on the Fram in Feb 2009. At this time there was no laundry service, but indeed a self-service laundry (on deck 3), and I believe it is still the same today. As far as I remember it costs about 10 NOK per round (a little less than $2) and I think you can buy tokens at the reception.

Thinking of this Artic trip in July on MS Fram. Anybody done the Greenland/Iceland trip. We looked at it several years ago but it fell through. Thinking that if we liked this one might also try the Antartica trip later.

Anybody who has been on the MS Fram how was the experience? The ship looks so lovely. Does the cold bother you on this trip? Is it hard boarding from the tenders/excursion boats/docks. What were the days like -- just in the lounge watching icebergs go by? Naturalist or guides?

Sorry for so many questions but CC is my go to place and I figure that maybe someone can describe a trip on MS Fram.

Also has anyone ideas on how to get to Kangerlussuaq without going to Denmark first? I think Reykjavik Iceland roundtrip from DC area then little airplane to Nuuk Greenland then another to Kangerlussuaq. Help please

Hi, we just got back from the Antarctic aboard the Fram in January. I wrote a review that may answer a lot of your questions.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=77878.

Also, have you been reading the Fram Blog? We found it very useful when planning our expedition. http://mvfram.blogspot.com/

I will be glad to answer any questions you might have after reading my review. Sorry for any typos and spelling errors. :rolleyes:

There is NO self-serve laundry onboard the Fram. The cost of crew doing your laundry wasn't a bargain, so we washed stuff in the sink and hung to dry on the laundry line in the bathroom. Things dried very quickly.

Happy Sails,

TXTraveler

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there, I've got a question for TXTraveler2007 (or anyone who has already been on the Fram).

Can you tell me which type of pover sockets they have on board? American or European, round of flat pins? Can we use our (European) adapters just like that or will we need a convertor?

Thanks a lot for any info available.

I was on the Fram in Feb 2009. They have European power sockets with round pins (same as in Norway, and France, for instance), I could use my computer and camera battery charger without any adapter. However, if you board in Argentina you might need one if you want to use your appliances in the hotel in Buenos-Aires. But no need for the boat.

I was on the Fram in Feb 2009. They have European power sockets with round pins (same as in Norway, and France, for instance), I could use my computer and camera battery charger without any adapter. However, if you board in Argentina you might need one if you want to use your appliances in the hotel in Buenos-Aires. But no need for the boat.

Only one socket in the cabin is 'live' when you aren't in the cabin, find out which it is by taking your keycard out of the holder while you're in the cabin and see which one stays on.

TXTraveler --

We'll be on the Fram in Jan 2012 and your review was very helpful and gave a good idea of what to expect.

Can I ask -- the jackets you described don't sound very warm at all - did you only wear a fleece underneath (with other layers of shirts) or did you also have a down parka or any other kind of jacket? I know layering is key but I do get cold easily and am wondering if just a fleece and the Hurtigruten provided jacket will be enough for me.

Also - as far as waterproof pants - did you use thin rain pants over layers or do you recommend heavier pants - more like insulated ski pants?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I used sailing waterproof pants for my trip. They are usually light (lighter than ski pants for instance, so they are easy to wear and easy to fit in your luggage) but I found them much better for waterproof and breathability than thin rain pants. I had also brough my sailing jacket (that I use in winter in Northern France), which was perfect with polar fleeces underneath, but mostly everybody seemed to be fine with the Hurtigruten jacket and layers underneath. It is not warm, but has good windproof and waterproof quality. However, I have to add that during our trip we had a great weather and very little wind, and temperatures were around 0°C - very mild for the area - so I'm not sure how the jackets would have performed in colder winds.

Thanks SarniaLo - I'll look for a source for sailing gear. I've only found ski pants or basic waterproof shell pants locally and online so far. Not to sound too picky or worried about fashion but the ones I've tried on have had a very bizarre fit. I guess the elastic waist makes for a large amount of excess fabric in the rear-end.

Did you only take one pair of waterproof pants? Seems like most people say that's enough. If you hose them down after a landing and then go out a second time the same day, do they dry in between?

Sounds like there's no need to bring my own parka, just some fleece and wool tops.

Thanks again!

Yes I only took one pair of waterproof pants and it was fine. The fabric usually dries pretty fast (it is built to keep the water out anyway! ;) ). I have read that some people had to throw away their pants at the end of the trip because of the penguins' poop smell. I didn't have that experience, but when buying your pants, keep in mind that you might not be able to use them again after the trip.

And yes, for the landing, you might need to trade your sense of fashion for a sense of comfort! ;) With the waterproof pants, parka with layers under it, rubber boots and the mandatory lifevest on top... Well, you get the picture. But I agree that many waterproof pants are really ill-fitting (especially if you are a woman, many technical clothes are definitely not cut with the woman body in mind). Make sure that the pants leave you with enough possibility of movement (for instance kneeling down to watch the penguins).

You're right - I have to throw all fashion-sense to the wind for this trip! Being able to bend over and stay covered will trump looking svelte I guess.

Just ordered some pants from Patagonia - hope they aren't too smelly by the end of the trip to bring home since they were not a big bargain.

Thanks again for the advice.

The "blue jackets" are not really for warmth. They are water resistant, NOT waterproof. They are a rubbery/plastic type outer shell with several pockets which were very useful for storing extra gloves, camera batteries, etc. What we wore was a thermal top and bottom, a regular turtleneck with regular pants, a fleece jacket with great pockets (we used it for the camera to keep it warm), waterproof or rain pants (required by the ship), and then the blue jacket. Once we wore another "rain type" jacket over the blue jacket because the rain, snow and wind were strong. It was useful that one time. We did not bring our parkas, and we did not feel we needed them even on the worse days of weather. A couple of times when the sun came out, we wanted to shed some layers, but with that life preserver on over everything, it is a real challenge to undress. Also, the weather can change very quickly, so you are required to keep the life preserver on while on shore in case of an emergency. We experienced that sudden change of weather, and I mean it can come in fast! :eek:

We tried on about four sets of "rain" pants before we found a pair that we could use over all of those layers. It was important that we could bend and sit in the pants comfortably. You also have to tuck the pants into the rubber boots, so they need to have some flexibility to slide in and out of the boots easily. When we were doing two landings a day, we would hang up our pants in the bathroom to air. You are stepping in disinfectant when you leave and return to the ship, and there are sometimes even sprays that you walk through for disinfecting, so we had no problems with stuff being stuck to the pants other than some grasses in South Georgia. If they are wet, you just put them on and go anyway. Overnight, they always dried easily in the bathroom.

Hope this helps.

TXTraveler

Thanks TXTraveler! That does help. I definitely won't fool with bringing a parka then. We'll have some kind of warm jacket on just because when we leave home it'll be freezing here but I won't bother with a big bulky parka.

If you have time for a few more questions....

The other rain coat you wore over the blue jacket -- was that your own or ship provided?

Did the rubber boots from the ship keep your feet warm enough? Did you use anything besides 2 pairs of socks - I've read some people's recommendations for wool or gel insoles and toe warmers.

And did most people just wear "normal" shoes around the ship when not doing landings? They don't need to be special boating type non-slip soled shoes or anything?

Thanks again!

We used our zipped fleece jacket as our only jacket when we left home. We only had to brave the weather getting from the car to the airport entrance, so the fleece was fine. However, when we had to wait in the Miami airport for our overnight flight, which was several hours late, we nearly froze in the terminal. :eek:

The other rain coat we wore only once was part of our rain suit outfit. It came as a jacket and pants combo for the same price as just pants. It was the FroggToggs brand. They were very waterproof, but they don't take rough handling well.

We wore two pairs of socks. The inner pair were thin polytype socks, but the outer layer was a wool blend. Our feet were toasty warm. I did bring arch supports because I have foot problems. I also brought strong tape to anchor them inside the boot. I did not have any foot problems once I found a pair that fit well. Not all size 40 boots were the same. I found a pair I liked, and I put them on an extra size 40 shelf which was not out front with the regular boot holders. That way every time we had a landing, I went right to my pair which was behind other pairs, and I had the perfect fit every time. Just an idea. My husband did the same with his size 42s. These were wire or wood racks towards the back of the boot room. Don't forget to use the wooden boot jacks which are laying around the boot room. They keep your hands from getting messy since you just came through the disenfectant.

I wore regular tennis shoes most of the time. I also brought one very lightweight pair of black slip-ons for the Christmas Eve, etc. parties onboard. We had several special nights because this was a holiday cruise.

Happy Sails,

TXTraveler

Archived