Best Cruise Lines for Gyms?

TeamBozo

My wife and I really enjoy working out on cruises and generally spend the entire morning at the gym. Unfortunately, we've had mixed experiences with crowded facilities, especially on HAL. We like to use ellipticals, treadmills, starimasters, etc., but sometimes encounter an uncomfortable competition for getting to use the machines. Which cruise lines are best (and worst) for having an uncrowded and pleasant gym?

• 4 weeks later...
My wife and I really enjoy working out on cruises and generally spend the entire morning at the gym. Unfortunately, we've had mixed experiences with crowded facilities, especially on HAL. We like to use ellipticals, treadmills, starimasters, etc., but sometimes encounter an uncomfortable competition for getting to use the machines. Which cruise lines are best (and worst) for having an uncrowded and pleasant gym?

There all crowded early in morning and on sea days. Best time is in port and late in afternoon right before dinner or after dinner.

Agree with David on the busy times, although sometimes pre-dinner (we always eat late) can get busier.

The gyms tend to get less busy after a few days of the cruise, the novelty wears off alot of people as they prefer to go and eat:rolleyes:

I have alway had a good experience in the RCCL gyms. They are crowded early, but I've always been able to find an open treadmill. I also agree that the crowds get thinner as the week goes on!

• 1 month later...

I actually found Disney to be the least crowded, but also the smallest (very cramped free weights area, and no separate studio for classes). However, good quality machines and it was never busy when I went...

• 9 months later...

Royal Caribbean's Voyager and Freedom class gyms are great, especially Freedom class.

They are among the largest at sea, and it is one of the reasons we regularly cruise with them. They have updated equipment and rarely seen crowded, even at peak times.

Best time to go seems to be at about 6:30 AM, or during one of the main dining room seatings.

Royal Caribbean's Voyager and Freedom class gyms are great, especially Freedom class.

They are among the largest at sea, and it is one of the reasons we regularly cruise with them. They have updated equipment and rarely seen crowded, even at peak times.

Best time to go seems to be at about 6:30 AM, or during one of the main dining room seatings.

totally agree! I just got off of FOS and went to the gym at what I think was a fairly peak time (8am) and had no problem with crowds. It was great!

• 3 weeks later...

My vote would also be for Royal Caribbean. All classes are great but I really dont care for the Oasis class ships.

On Oasis, I found the gym dungy and overcrowded. The sauna and steam are coed and have an upcharge. I would prefer being in the nude and in the company of men.

The only good thing on Oasis was the running track. It was on deck 5 and about 2 laps was a mile. However many people used it for leisurely arm in arm walking.. the track wasnt managed well and real runners would be annoyed.

So voyager and freedom class gyms are great..same with Radiance Class.

For running now, I use the lifeboat deck - deck 4 on Voyager class... more room and hardly any human obstacles to run around.

Archived