Questions about Los Angeles

Becky74

We have never been to California and are thinking about sailing RCCL's Monarch of the Seas (LA - San Diego - Catalina Island -- Ensenada -- LA). I would love to work in a trip to Disneyland. How difficult would this be? We were thinking about taking the RCCL tour of LA when we dock (5 hours), they drop us at the airport, and then get a hotel for two more nights to have one full day at Disneyland. Should we stay near Disneyland or near the port? Would it be better to do Disneyland before the cruise? If we do that, how difficult will it be to get from our hotel near Disneyland to the port? Any hotel recommendations?

For background, it will be DH and I, both age 30, from Pittsburgh. We do not want to have to rent a car, and while we have a budget, convenience is more important than cost. Thanks!

It is about 20 miles from the port to Disneyland, in the opposite direction from LAX.

I would recommend going on the cruise first. Plan to take SuperShuttle from the port to a hotel near Disneyland (there are MANY within walking distance). Stay there for a couple days. Add another day if you want to do Knott's Berry Farm too. Then you can get a bus from Disneyland to LAX (or plan to fly home from John Wayne Orange County Airport if possible...it is much closer to Disneyland.

It would be a good idea to make a reservation with SuperShuttle just to be sure you will have a van available when you need it.

I don't think it matters if you go before or after the cruise, you will be there on the weekend either way. I would definitely look into flying to SNA (known as Orange County Airport or John Wayne Airport) rather than LAX. LGB (Long Beach) would be my second choice. There is plenty of transportation available at the airport and in the Disney Resort area. Visit http://www.disney.com for more info on the Disney area, sometimes there are specials available online. You may want to try to make your Disney stay for two days, it's hard to see both parks and Downtown Disney in one day.

For a short cruise, you will enjoy Monarch, she is pretty nice for the short cruise market. The 4 day has some nice stops, make sure you investigate shore opportunities before you go. We have been on the 4 day itinerary a couple of times. In San Diego, I would suggest the Trolley Tour http://www.historictours.com to give you a great oversight of the city, you will probably want to return here. Catalina is a gem, several different choices of excursions, none can be wrong. We have always stayed onboard the ship in Ensenada, not a real nice place to visit, but we have been there, done that. There are a couple excursion choices that are reasonable, LaBufadora and the winery tour, we may do one of those on our next little cruise.

I'm a huge Disneyland fan, I think your trip sounds like fun. If you can swing it, stay in one of the Disney properties, but if you can't, there are tons of motels in the immediate area. The advantage to the Disney properties is early entry to the parks (on some days) and transportation is a bit easier. Most of the other properties have a bus system, last time I stayed it was reasonable, something like $2 pp for all day priviledges. Wear comfortable shoes!

• 1 month later...
We have never been to California and are thinking about sailing RCCL's Monarch of the Seas (LA - San Diego - Catalina Island -- Ensenada -- LA). I would love to work in a trip to Disneyland. How difficult would this be? We were thinking about taking the RCCL tour of LA when we dock (5 hours), they drop us at the airport, and then get a hotel for two more nights to have one full day at Disneyland. Should we stay near Disneyland or near the port? Would it be better to do Disneyland before the cruise? If we do that, how difficult will it be to get from our hotel near Disneyland to the port? Any hotel recommendations?

For background, it will be DH and I, both age 30, from Pittsburgh. We do not want to have to rent a car, and while we have a budget, convenience is more important than cost. Thanks!

If you have not chosen a hotel yet, try Park Vue Inn. Not luxurious, but affordable and right across the street from the main entrance. And, you can see the fireworks from the hotel's terrrace.

Also, try the Blue Bayou Restaurant inside the park, in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride in New Orleans Square, amazing restaurant. You think your outside in the Bayou. You need reservations, but it is worth it even to just go in and have an appetizer.

Also, the Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney outside of the park. There are many of these around the US, but if you have not been in one yet, go check it out!

The ESPN zone is very cool also, in Downtown Disney. It not only has arcade style games, and a rock climbing wall. It also has something like 16 huge screen t.v.s and individual t.v.s at each booth, then there are the huge recliners right in front of the big t.v.s with speakers in the headreasts for whichever channel you choose, and they serve dinner in them!

I love Disneyland and have been there more times than I can count. If you have any questions regarding rides or attractions, please ask. I love to talk and dream about Disneyland!!!!

If you are going to be in So. California during a weekday in June, that's when I would suggest you go to Disneyland. Less crowded. You can check the Disneyland website to make of the hours of operation. Disneyland properties would definitely be at a higher rate than other hotels. See if a hotel has a shuttle to the park, other locations, the airport you're using (probably not LAX if staying in Anaheim but maybe to Orange Co. John Wayne).

• 1 month later...

Disneyland just started celebrating its 50th anniversary this week, which is a year-long celebration. I assume this will increase the crowds but they've added special parades, a new fireworks display, and other features for the celebration, so it should be great. And one doesn't go to Disneyland to be alone. Depending on your time, there are now 2 theme parks plus Downtown Disney to explore. The other park is California Adventure. It' s definitely different from Disneyland but worth a day if you have the time. If you don't have the time, do Disneyland. Cal. Adventure has some good rides, different areas that show off different parts of the state, and a GREAT ride in a state-of-the-art theatre in which you windsurf over the state. You even smell the salt air over the ocean and the aroma of orange blossoms.

Tips for Disneyland:

1. GET THERE EARLY! I can't emphasize this enough. You can actually get in before the official opening time. Everyone has to pass through security so allow time to buy your tickets. They usually let you in a little before the official opening time so you can stroll down Mainstreet, pick up coffee and a pastry at the bakery, etc.

2. Take advantage of the fast-pass system for the most popular rides (usually anything with "mountain" in the name of the ride, Indiana Jones, Haunted House,etc.) You go to the ride and obtain a fast pass from the machine. It gives you a time for you to return to the ride. When you return you get in a special line and usually only wait about 10 minutes to get on the ride. You can only get one fast pass at a time. The system remembers your number and you can't go to another ride to get another pass until your starting time is up. And no, your significant other can't go to another ride and get other passes. Each person's ticket has to be put into the fast pass machine, which reads your barcode, to get the number of fast pass tickets you need. Sneaky, those Disney folks. You don't have to get to the ride at your starting time. Any time after the start time is okay. This system saves a bunch of time. What's amazing is that this system has been in place for a number of years, but I'd say the majority of people still don't use it -- Thank God!

3. Go on popular rides during parades. Thousands of people will line up for the parades and the rides are a little less crowded.

4. In the heat of the day, a trip on "Small World" is relaxing, gives you a relatively long sit to relax those feet, and it's cool inside. Of course, you'll have the annoying song in your head afterwards. The clock on the front goes off every 15 minutes and is worth seeing. You'll probably see it go off while you're in line.

5. The park will clear out after the first evening parade and its a good time to get to those popular rides you missed earlier.

6. Take some time to explore Downtown Disney, if you still have the energy and you don't feel like you have to unscrew your feet. There are lots of restaurants and shops. It also has the most amazing Disney store you'll ever see. Two stories of every possible Disney item, some exclusive to Disneyland. My wife and daughters spent ages in there while I collapsed on a bench outside (very considerate of Disney to provide those benches).

7. The best places to have your picture taken with the Disney characters are Main Street (especially for Mickey and Minnie) and just outside Splash Mountain, where the Pooh characters (Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, etc) tend to congregate.

8. Assuming you don't have kids with you, skip Toontown. It is awash in little kids and the rides and attractions there are geared for them.

9. In Fantasyland the longest line is always for Peter Pan, but it moves quickly because it's a continuous feed ride. And where else can you fly in a boat over London? (Can you tell it's my favorite?)

10. They have taken all the fun out of the Mad Teaparty teacup ride. Afraid of injuries in our litigious society, they've made it almost impossible to turn the cup fast enough. I don't ride this anymore (a sign of middle age and my queezy stomach) but people are getting off the ride complaining about sore arms. I wonder if someone will file a lawsuit about that, and they'll end up putting the cups back to the way they used to be?

What a great way to finish up your trip! Have a great time at The Happiest Place on Earth.

(and no, I'm not an employee and don't even own stock in the company)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips!!

We decided to stay at the Howard Johnson's b/c the rate was ridiculously cheap. ($67 a night). Our plan is to spend Friday night at Downtown Disney, be at Disneyland before park opening Saturday, Sunday California Adventure.

If possible, you might want to swtich around your schedule to Saturday at California Adventure and Sunday to Disneyland. Either way Disneyland will be crowded on the weekend, but of the two days, Sunday is a lot less crowded than Saturday. I used to work at Disneyland and the statics showed that Fridays and Saturdays were the 2 busiest days of the week with Tuesdays and Wednesdays being the least busiest days of the week.

California Adventure never really gets that busy. The longest line you'll find will be for the Tower of Terror. Be sure not to miss the Soarin' over California ride. Great trip through California. DCA has a nice relaxing atmosphere. If you want a place to eat dinner while you're at California Adventure, try Ariel's Grotto (its called something like that). Its a character dinner for less than $20. It includes desert, entree, drink and salad. Various characters come around to each table and take pictures, etc. It's really cute and the food is good.

At Downtown Disney, I would recommend actually staying away from Rainforest Cafe. Personally, I don't think that the food is that great, and on top of that the wait on a Friday and Saturday night can grow ridiculously long (2 hours+!). If you want affordable food, try the new mexican restaurant (they take reservations!) or ESPNZone. THe House of Blues has pretty good food too, although a bit loud inside. The Jazz Kitchen has good food and live jazz music if you like Southern Style food, but as a warning, its rather pricey! Finally, I think that the best restaurant at Downtown Disney is the Catal Restaurant. Its actually the Catal Restuarant and Uva Bar. The Uva bar is situated outside and the Catal REstaurant is upstairs on the 2nd floor. Great steak. But also expensive. Finally, don't miss the chocolate shop (I think its called Madelines). Great chocolate covered strawberries and carmel apples. You can watch them make it right there!

Additionally, once inside Disneyland, if you need an ice cream break during the day, make sure to go to the Carnation Ice Cream shop right in the middle of Main Street next to the coffee shop. They have the best ice cream there and plenty of flavors to choose from!

Thanks for all the recommendations! I haven't thought about dinner yet Friday, not sure what we want to do that night.

I should have posted this but my plan was to go to DL early in the morning, then skip over to CA if it gets too crowded, then come back for the fireworks. Sunday either start at CA if we didn't do much there the day before or go back to DL, basically use it as a catch up day but probably start out at CA so we are there for opening time at each park one of the days.

Archived