Good Bye Lyttleton....for a while.

Kiwi Kruzer,

It is going to take a huge effort to rebuild Christchurch and Lyttleton. Our hearts and prayers do go out to New Zealand, it is such a massive undertaking.

They will miss the cruise dollars in that part of the N.Z. It would have brought in a lot of money which they do need at this moment.

Jennie

That is terrible news, and a horrible blow for the local tourism industry.

What is the reasoning for cancelling the cruise ship visits for the next 12 months, is there extensive damage to the actual port?

Yes. Big cracks evidently.

They are just going to put all their efforts into exporting the coal from the port, and cruise ships will have to wait.

They can still go to Akaroa, but that requires tendering, and is a lot further to travel into Christchurch, and when you do get there, its all rubble and probably re building.

I should think all cruise ships will be visiting Akaroa, as ours did. As it is not far from Christchurch, I'm sure they will all benefit from tourist dollars.

It is a lovely, originally French, town and there are shore tours which can be done from there, such as swimming with the dolphins, harbour tour, historical walk, albatross colony, several farms and country tours. The Tranzalpine Rail tour is still running - from Akaroa. They bus into Christchurch station and catch the train from there.

I should think all cruise ships will be visiting Akaroa, as ours did. As it is not far from Christchurch, I'm sure they will all benefit from tourist dollars. It is a lovely, originally French, town and there are shore tours which can be done from there, such as swimming with the dolphins, harbour tour, historical walk, albatross colony, several farms and country tours. The Tranzalpine Rail tour is still running - from Akaroa. They bus into Christchurch station and catch the train from there.

Thats really great Sandi,

Akaroa is a nice stop.

But the problem is Christchurch.

Tonight we saw on TV the Grand Chancellor Hotel, which is leaning over, and threatening surrounding buildings.

It has to be demolished in the interests of safety.

Its the highest building in the City ,and it has to come down.

How can tourists visit the City with all that going on?

I was just commenting that we haven't had much news these past few days of Christchurch; Japan and the Middle East are now the current topics.

I guess it was inevitable that the hotel would have to go; it is sad that the port is closed but fortunately there are so many other beautiful ports in NZ.

No, David, you wouldn't visit the city as such but apparently, around the cordoned-off centre, it is fine and the railway is undamaged. (I was told this by a lady in Dunedin who had family in the closed off area.) The ship offered a $59 shuttle to Christchurch, but I would say this would have been for those who had relatives or friends there. At all the towns there were Red Cross and other boxes for donations for earthquake victims and we cruisers were giving all of our change to the ladies collecting at the wharf. (Incidentally, we tried to do our bit by spending ALL our NZ dollars, lol. Not hard to do. :rolleyes:)

Tonight we saw on TV the Grand Chancellor Hotel, which is leaning over, and threatening surrounding buildings.

It has to be demolished in the interests of safety.

Its the highest building in the City ,and it has to come down.

How can tourists visit the City with all that going on?

Think positive, lots of tourists visit Sydney and that's in spite of all the building and demolition work that goes on at times, including buildings taller than the Chancellor. It doesn't have to be an impediment.

Think positive, lots of tourists visit Sydney and that's in spite of all the building and demolition work that goes on at times, including buildings taller than the Chancellor. It doesn't have to be an impediment.

There is a huge difference though. Sydney is a huge city of 4 million people with lots of other things to see when you are walking around. A few buidings under construction is not going to take away the view of the Opera House, the Rocks area or the bridge.

On the other hand Christchurch is only a small city of 100,000 which has been devastated by earthquakes and needs to be rebuilt. From what I have read and heard the main downtown area of Christchurch was completely wrecked and therefore, no-one wants to see a work in progress. Also, I am sure the authorities in Christchurch do not want a whole heap of tourists walking around the building sites once they get started.

Jennie

While not cruising related , the other problem is that Christchurch was due to host some of the Rugby World Cup games.

The stadium has damage, the turf is ruined, and accommodation is now limited.

Oh but then it does relate to cruising , in as much as some cruise ships were going to dock in Lyttleton and act as hotels.

While not cruising related , the other problem is that Christchurch was due to host some of the Rugby World Cup games.

The stadium has damage, the turf is ruined, and accommodation is now limited.

Oh but then it does relate to cruising , in as much as some cruise ships were going to dock in Lyttleton and act as hotels.

David, we 'heard' someone remark that they still hoped to host the games. It sounds as though they are still planning for it, but I feel it is too early to be sure of anything.

Just been announced..

No Rugby World Cup for Christchurch.

The British team was to have been hosted there, and the City was expecting 15,000 fans to come for for the games.

I noticed on the cruise ship itineraries they all had...

To be confirmed .....beside the stop in Lyttleton

Just been announced..

No Rugby World Cup for Christchurch.

The British team was to have been hosted there, and the City was expecting 15,000 fans to come for for the games.

I noticed on the cruise ship itineraries they all had...

To be confirmed .....beside the stop in Lyttleton

I wonder where that leaves us..... we are booked on the Pacific Dawn from Brisbane to Christchurch and have already booked and paid for our return airfares. :eek:

I wonder where that leaves us..... we are booked on the Pacific Dawn from Brisbane to Christchurch and have already booked and paid for our return airfares. :eek:

Perhaps with a big taxi fare from Akaroa to the airport?

Who knows' date=' its all up in the air at the moment.

Have you heard where the ship is going to go instead of Lyttleton yet?

[/size']

Where's the game going instead?

Not officially announced , but looks they will use North Harbour Stadium up here in Auckland for the 1/4 finals , and may try to send some games to Dunedin.

Have not heard a thing yet David.

They are probably waiting until its all sorted out' date=' so they will at least be able to know what they will be doing.:eek:[/size']

Archived