Excursions cancelled?

Sun Lover

Has anyone who has been on Oasis recently on the Western route had their excursions through RCI cancelled? I've read that a number of people (on different ships) have had this happen due to lack of participation. I'm really worried about the Chukka zipline excursion we have booked in Falmouth because it seems like most people there are either not getting off the ship or are not booking excursions because of the driving distance involved. I emailed RCI asking if they would know if enough people are signed up for it and they wrote back and said they will have no idea until two days before if they meet the minimum required. Because Falmouth is such a new port and with the amount of driving, I purposely booked it through RCI because I was worried about getting back to the ship on time if I booked it through a private company. This is the excursion we are most looking forward to, and we will be so disappointed if it's cancelled. We have also booked Cozumel Amazing Race, so I hope we're okay with that one, too. If anyone has recently done the Chukka zipline excursion out of Falmouth, I'd love to hear your experience. Thanks.

Oasis is so big, I am sure plenty of people will book. Chukka is one of the sites closer to Falmouth, so don't worry about a long bus ride. Did Royal give you any idea of the minimum number required? Best wishes for a wonderful time !

No, that's what worries me. They said because they book excursions after passengers are on the ship, they said they won't know if they've met the minimum until two days prior. I think it would be really hard to book a private excursion then, and I was trying to avoid that because I felt the ship's excursion would be safer as far as getting back to the ship on time. I usually book excursions with private tour operators but with Falmouth being a new port and the driving distance involved, I wanted to go with the ship's excursion this time. Do you know how far of a drive it is to Chukka?

Just did the zipline/river tube combo last week and the tour was full (or at least the bus was. The tour itself was excellent. BUT, it was supposed to return us at 3:30 and we got back at 5:35 (5 minutes after last call on the ship :eek: ). We had a harrowing ride back as the driver rushed us through some nasty roads. Also, there was no lunch or bathrooms which did bother me all that much, but some took issue with a 5.5 hour tour with no food. The tree canopy was beautiful and the equipment and staff are top notch. We've ziplined out in Vail and the equipment here was better then there. AND, the guide were excellent.

eta, it took us about 25 minutes to get there and 20 insane minutes back. The grounds are stunning and you can get food and drinks after (although we were so late we could not partake). There are lockers for rent ($5) and they guide provide some excellent history on the estate and the trade that impacted that region.

Just did the zipline/river tube combo last week and the tour was full (or at least the bus was. The tour itself was excellent. BUT, it was supposed to return us at 3:30 and we got back at 5:35 (5 minutes after last call on the ship :eek: ). We had a harrowing ride back as the driver rushed us through some nasty roads. Also, there was no lunch or bathrooms which did bother me all that much, but some took issue with a 5.5 hour tour with no food. The tree canopy was beautiful and the equipment and staff are top notch. We've ziplined out in Vail and the equipment here was better then there. AND, the guide were excellent.

eta, it took us about 25 minutes to get there and 20 insane minutes back. The grounds are stunning and you can get food and drinks after (although we were so late we could not partake). There are lockers for rent ($5) and they guide provide some excellent history on the estate and the trade that impacted that region.

I've read where a lot of the tours from Falmouth are late getting back, which is exactly why I wanted to book this through the ship. Were you on Oasis when you did the zipline/tube tour? Do you think we should bring food and/or water with us? Do you mean you didn't have access to a bathroom for over 5 hours?

Sun Lover - When are you cruising? My guess is that if you are sailing during the summer when there is a higher number of families and "younger" travellers there will be lots of people booking this tour. Since the options are very limited in Falmouth at the moment, most people are looking to book the RCI excursions.

Have you done ziplining before? I've done it twice in Puerto Vallarta and it IS an awesome experience:)

I've read where a lot of the tours from Falmouth are late getting back, which is exactly why I wanted to book this through the ship. Were you on Oasis when you did the zipline/tube tour? Do you think we should bring food and/or water with us? Do you mean you didn't have access to a bathroom for over 5 hours?

We were on the Freedom. The area around the estate, where the ZipLine started had very nice (and clean) facilities. So there was a bathroom there. They gave us a bottle of water between the zipline and the tube, but there was no bathroom (but, being a guy, I made my own). I'd say we went 3.5 hours+ without access to the bathroom. They had food at the estate to eat after (and a small bar), but we were so late, they rushed us on to the bus back. You can (and should) bring food and water. One of those nylon drawstring back packs would be perfect. If we'd known it would have taken so long, we would have done this for sure!

So I'm assuming you booked this through the ship and not on your own? Was the bus ride terrible - hot, bumpy, etc? I would really prefer to book a private excursion on our own but because of the circumstances with Falmouth, I'm too nervous to do that. Do you think the excursion was worth it?

Sun Lover - When are you cruising? My guess is that if you are sailing during the summer when there is a higher number of families and "younger" travellers there will be lots of people booking this tour. Since the options are very limited in Falmouth at the moment, most people are looking to book the RCI excursions.

Have you done ziplining before? I've done it twice in Puerto Vallarta and it IS an awesome experience:)

We are cruising May 28. I know you said it was awesome, but I am literally scared to death. I'm doing it mainly for my son, who I know will just love it. I don't really have a fear of heights but I don't like the thought of dangling way up in the air with nothing under my feet. I'm sure they will probably hear me screaming for miles. I know this is a stupid question, but if I really don't like it, I suppose there's no other way out except to finish the ziplines? There wouldn't be any way to walk the rest of the way if I didn't like it, right?

We are cruising May 28. I know you said it was awesome, but I am literally scared to death. I'm doing it mainly for my son, who I know will just love it. I don't really have a fear of heights but I don't like the thought of dangling way up in the air with nothing under my feet. I'm sure they will probably hear me screaming for miles. I know this is a stupid question, but if I really don't like it, I suppose there's no other way out except to finish the ziplines? There wouldn't be any way to walk the rest of the way if I didn't like it, right?

My wife was the same way, the first time we ziplined, almost paralyzed with fear. After watching both kids go, she went, screamed like heck and then enjoyed the rest of the lines. Since the lines traverse the estate, I think three of the five are near roads and you could probably wait as they come back to certain points, or even walk out. BUT, I don't think you'll want to. I was very impressed with the quality of the set, the equipment and most important, the staff. Let the guys know you are scared and they'll take great care of you. One of the guys was a monster of a man (The called him Baby Giant) show incredible care to everyone there. One more thing, these lines were a bit slower than the one I did out in Vail and these were much more smooth. They used two steel lines coated in rubber, so you have 2 safety lines instead of just one. Let me know if you'd like to see a picture or two of the set up.

You WILL be nervous (ok, scared) the first one but after that I promise you will be hooked (pun intented)! I am not a fan of heights, but it truly is so much fun once you conquer that first one. The last time I went in November, I was with my sister and Mom. My Mom (62) did not want to do it at all but we convinced her, and she had a great time and it's something she will always rember doing with her daughters!

Ifyou truly don't want to continue, there should be a way to walk back but since I've never been on that particular one I can't say with certainty.

Try it, you won't be disappointed!

My wife was the same way, the first time we ziplined, almost paralyzed with fear. After watching both kids go, she went, screamed like heck and then enjoyed the rest of the lines. Since the lines traverse the estate, I think three of the five are near roads and you could probably wait as they come back to certain points, or even walk out. BUT, I don't think you'll want to. I was very impressed with the quality of the set, the equipment and most important, the staff. Let the guys know you are scared and they'll take great care of you. One of the guys was a monster of a man (The called him Baby Giant) show incredible care to everyone there. One more thing, these lines were a bit slower than the one I did out in Vail and these were much more smooth. They used two steel lines coated in rubber, so you have 2 safety lines instead of just one. Let me know if you'd like to see a picture or two of the set up.

I would really love to see the picture if it's not too much trouble. Also, did your tour include rapelling? I read somewhere on their website that the White Witch zipline has a 100' rappel involved, which I seriously don't think I could bring myself to do. Since there's more than one tour offered in the Montego Bay area, I emailed them to find out if the tour I booked includes this. If it does, I just don't think I could do it. I'm hoping ours does not have that. Did they start you out with a practice zipline that was close to the ground for the first try?

I would really love to see the picture if it's not too much trouble. Also, did your tour include rapelling? I read somewhere on their website that the White Witch zipline has a 100' rappel involved, which I seriously don't think I could bring myself to do. Since there's more than one tour offered in the Montego Bay area, I emailed them to find out if the tour I booked includes this. If it does, I just don't think I could do it. I'm hoping ours does not have that. Did they start you out with a practice zipline that was close to the ground for the first try?

The Falmouth (Georgetown Estate) had no rapelling. Let me consult with my technical advisor (daughter) on how to post pictures. If I can't figure it out, they are and FB and I'll work a friend request. I'll reiterate, the canopy there was stunning. My son has ziplined in Vail, the mountains around Boise, ID and Falmouth and just said that Falmouth was the best ever.

Aero-Thanks for the link to your zip line reviews. I wondered how you felt as far as safety in Jamaica. We have been there 20 & 10 years ago & wondered how things were at the Falmouth port? I've read a lot of negative things here on CC & a recent USA Today article saying vendors, prostitutes, & drug dealers were harassing them. Did you experience this at all?

We are looking at different RCL itineraries for next year & not sure I want to take my 2 DDs to Jamaica. Did you feel your daughter was safe there, in port? and on your tour?

We have experienced locals trying to sell pot but never even saw prostitutes. And vendors are pushy lots of places. What bothers me is when a polite "no" doesn't stop their advances.

Aero-Thanks for the link to your zip line reviews. I wondered how you felt as far as safety in Jamaica. We have been there 20 & 10 years ago & wondered how things were at the Falmouth port? I've read a lot of negative things here on CC & a recent USA Today article saying vendors, prostitutes, & drug dealers were harassing them. Did you experience this at all?

We are looking at different RCL itineraries for next year & not sure I want to take my 2 DDs to Jamaica. Did you feel your daughter was safe there, in port? and on your tour?

We have experienced locals trying to sell pot but never even saw prostitutes. And vendors are pushy lots of places. What bothers me is when a polite "no" doesn't stop their advances.

We did not leave the port area before boarding the bus (not because we were frightened off, but because the kids slept a little later after getting in at the 1am kids curfew the night before). We talked to several couples who did tours on their own and walked around Falmouth a bit and heard none of what has been shared here and over on the main board. The folks inside the gate were wonderful. In fact, they had folks in casual outfits (almost a uniform) greeting people as they got of the ship and headed out.

My daughter is 15, petite and looks a lot older than she is (based on her shape). I would have let her and my son (13) go anywhere inside the gated area at the port (I would not have let them do so outside there, or Cozumel, or Grand Cayman-making the point that I am sure that there is good and bad just about everywhere). On the tour, the guys running the ziplines and river tour (separate guys) we complete gentleman and showed GREAT respect to my wife and my daughter. I tend to tip, not so much on how I am treated, but how my kids get treated. To this end, I tipped very well when we were leaving and let several of the guys know how much we appreciated the treatment. I'd set up things to share a Red Stripe with one of the guys working the ziplines, but we were running so late we had to just head for the bus.

I wish I had more intel for you about the town outside of the gate in Falmouth. Had we had time, I am sure I would have Goggled up where to go and where not to. There were some very nice looking buildings and some of the shopping we were able to see from the bus looked far less touristy than the stuff at the pier. BTW, the vendors at the pier were great to be around to. My wife knits and had what looked like a great conversation with a woman vendor who was knitting by here stuff for sale. They shared a hug when my wife left.

As for the bashing on the main board. I'll stay out of that mess. I live just outside of Detroit and my family has a ton of history in the city. I take my family to the city all of the time and feel safe because I know where to go and where not to and how to approach things when I am hit up for cash.

Long reply. The short of this is that I'd do this tour or another RCI tour out of Falmouth again without hesitation. The tour was very good and all (4) of us would say the same thing. Feel free to ask more questions if I can provide more info.

Aero-Thank you for your quick relpy & honest opionions. I can really relate to your views, having a 16 year old & 12 year old daughter. The first time my wife & I visited Jamaica not sure we even had a computer, for sure we didn't research anything, we just went. AND we enjoyed Jamaica immensly, sure many of the same elements that exist there also exist in Chicago where we have family & visit quite frequently. Just like you in Detroit, I feel safe in Chicago with my family. We do have street smarts, know where to go & where not to go.

After reading so many negative things here on CC & on the net, I just wanted to hear from someone like myself who has visited Falmouth with their children. Thank you for sharing & happy travels!

PS.Hooray Red Stripe! (my favourite) Hooray Beer!

5577596693_29b1fb03d8.jpg

Hooray Red Stripe by snokeldawgs, on Flickr

Aero-Thanks for your fast reply & honest opionions. Living just outside Chicago (which we love) I totally relate to your comments. Also having a two young daughters & we feel the same way about the city as you feel about Detroit. We have street smarts, I just wanted to hear from someone just like yourself with a family much like my own who has recently visited Jamaica.

I appreciate you taking the time to tell me about your day in Falmouth.

Thank you & happy travels & hooray beer! Hooray Red Stripe!

5577596693_29b1fb03d8.jpg

Hooray Red Stripe by snokeldawgs, on Flickr

Archived