Brilliance of the Seas April 8th - Panama Canal

RENEED68

Hi - This will be my first time travelling the canal (partial transit) and had a few questions.

From what I make of it we will go through the canal very early, prople will render off in Gatun Lake and then we will go back through the canal and dock at the pier.

Will we be able to get off the ship at the pier or is that only for passengers to reboard?

Where should I go to view the canal? Front of the ship? Back? From my balcony? This is a 90th birthday gift from me to my grandmother (she has always wanted to see the canal) and I want to be sure she gets to see it!!

Also - if we can get off and shop at the pier is it accessable by wheelchair? She can't walk long distances without one.

Thanks for any information you an provide!!

I tend to think that early in the morning the front and back of the ship will be full, due that is more confortable for you Grandmom to see the Canal from the Balcony and in the afternoon when the ship pass for the locks again you can move to the back of the ship because the ship will be empty and she will has the chance to see the canal in other angle.

From Cristobal you can get off the ship to look around or buy some things of Panama and you Grandmom can use the wheelchair without problems.

good lucks,

Thank you so much for your reply. That's what I was thinking. One question though...why do we want to see it from the back of the ship vs. the front? Also - there are 3 locks right? can we see one from the front and then run to the back to see the second from there? How long does it take to go through a lock?

RENEED68,

Yes, there are three locks (back-to-back) and there is plenty of time to roam all over the ship while going through them. When first approaching the locks I would recommend being somewhere near the front so you can see the locks. Very impressive view since you can easily see how high the ship will need to be raised to get to the final level (~85').

While in the locks you can roam around and take in all the views; front, back and the sides. Plenty to see and plenty of time.

Your origianal statement about the process is correct. After passing through the locks the ship will anchor nearby to let people who have booked tours disembark (tender) to shore to meet their tours. If at all possible, I would highly recommend that you take a tour. There is a lot to see in Panama.

Later in the day the ship will pass back through the locks and then dock at Cristobal (SP?) Pier. Assuming that there have not been any delays in passing back through the locks, you will have time to leave the ship and visit a fairly large shopping mall located on the pier right next to the ship. Wheelchairs will not be a problem.

I hope you have great trip!!

RENEED68,

Yes, there are three locks (back-to-back) and there is plenty of time to roam all over the ship while going through them. When first approaching the locks I would recommend being somewhere near the front so you can see the locks. Very impressive view since you can easily see how high the ship will need to be raised to get to the final level (~85').

While in the locks you can roam around and take in all the views; front, back and the sides. Plenty to see and plenty of time.

Your origianal statement about the process is correct. After passing through the locks the ship will anchor nearby to let people who have booked tours disembark (tender) to shore to meet their tours. If at all possible, I would highly recommend that you take a tour. There is a lot to see in Panama.

Later in the day the ship will pass back through the locks and then dock at Cristobal (SP?) Pier. Assuming that there have not been any delays in passing back through the locks, you will have time to leave the ship and visit a fairly large shopping mall located on the pier right next to the ship. Wheelchairs will not be a problem.

I hope you have great trip!!

I wasn't planning on a tour since this is our first Panama cruise and I didn't want to miss out on going through both times. Am I wrog in this and should we take a tour? If so, does anyone recommend one??

RENEED68,

This is only my opinion, but it seems that going through the Gatun Locks twice is a little redundant. You are not going to see much difference during the second trip than the first, and more importantly, there is much to see in Panama.

A tour we took this past January included a visit to Gatun Locks and an Indian Village. Seeing the locks from the ground gives you a different perspective than from above on a ship. And there are guides there that can describe the entire canal. The tour to the Indian Village was a visit I will never forget.

Another tour that we took two years ago while in Panama was the Ocean to Ocean Train Tour (Dome Car in our case). This was probably the best tour I have taken during any cruise.

I wasn't planning on a tour since this is our first Panama cruise and I didn't want to miss out on going through both times. Am I wrog in this and should we take a tour? If so, does anyone recommend one??

The Ferry: you will see the others Canal locks

The train: is the first interoceanic train in America

Grand tour of Panama (Embera Indian): Culture, traditions and The Canal

Panama City: you will see the highlight of the city.

Portobelo: nice please with 4 colonial forts and beach

Panama is a place that you need more than 1 day to enjoy it, and Im sure that you will take more cruisers to Panama Canal in the future.

Enjoy your trip.

OK - now I really have my heart set on the ferry tour but I can't book until we are on the ship (we are within 10 days of sailing). Do you think there's a chance that the tour won't be sold out??

We really enjoyed this cruise--March 18th We got to see the lock action form the balcony & all decks--it does get crowded but folks let you in for a view or photo or two-- It was really something great to experience...but those who stayed on board just did the same thing again--no time to cruise Gatun Lake due to canal traffic..needed to get back in line. We tendered off very easily for an excursion to Gamboa Aerail Tram--it was a long but pleasant bus ride--saw alot of Panama Very hot! We enjoyed the trip but there is some walking & then climbing to get to the top of the viewing tower--great view--not for those who can;t walk much . I fear heights but it was not a problem! Didnot see many animals but they did have a nice orchid house & butterfly house...The resort was nice but just a quick stop for jiuce & gift shop! Glad we got off the ship. WE were returned to the pier for shopping area--colorful dancers, very lively & well supervised place where the shops were located! As you can tell--we liked it

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Wapanda10,

You mentioned some excursions that are available in the Panama Canal-The Ferry, the train. Where can I find out more info. about them? Are they through the ship or through private "people"? Have you did any of them(that way I can ask you a ton of questions !?!?) Thanks for the info that you posted and thank you in advance for your help. Frank

Archived