Any stories of rough weather????!!!!

celbercrz333

Ok I know all of you recent NCL cruisers have your own horror story. It will make mine seem tame. We did Celebrity Zenith on October 11, 2003 from NYC to Bermuda. We went into tropical storm Marty. We were told 11 foot swells. People sick and not eating. Most said they went to the doctor and got a shot and then felt better. I remember walking down the hallways leaning to one side and then the other. Sleeping was an experience that I'll never forget. One minute your feet are level, the next they are higher than your head. Then your left side is higher than your right and vice versa. Tell me your story of rough weather.

Hi. It will really depend on where you are going to be sailing. We cruised the Mediterranean and the sea was so flat you could barely feel the ship moving. We just got back from a cruise from South America to Antarctica and back - the Drake's passage is one of the stormiest seas in the world - one direction was fairly smooth but coming back we got into Force 9 storm - "strong gale" with 45 foot seas! (It actually wasn't as bad as it sounds - if you had told me in advance we would have 45 foot seas, we would not have gone.) So check out, or have your TA check out, what the sea conditions generally are at the destination you are going to; while unusual sea conditions can certainly occur, you will at least have a sense of what to expect. Have Fun!

My paternal Grandmother and I were on QE2 in Jan. '70 for 10 days out of NYC....great weather BUT on the way back, off Cape Hatteras, it was ROUGH, they had wetted the table cloths and there weren't too many in the Columbia dinning room......during dinner the room SHOOK and RATTLED SEVERLY and we looked at each other (yikes!) and our dear waiter said, "no problem, just a prop coming out of the water".....yee Gods!! My 84 y/o Gram didn't feel much in her Deck 4 midship inside.....on the other hand I (28) was on Deck 1 almost under the bridge and it was like a roller coaster.....yes, truthfully a few times I ALMOST (read that ALMOST) "floated off the bed"....I thought it was great because we felt safe on that gorgeous new (now old) ship.:)

Steve

My friend and I were heading back to home port the last day at sea and the ship encountered some strong winds. The ship was rolling some, but not as bad as other cruises I've been on. And all of a sudden we had a real hard roll to port and the ship just seem to stay there. I was in the gift shop buying some last minute liquor purchases. At first the cartons of cigarettes started falling off the shelves, then the liquor started to fall. Most of liquor bottles went sliding right off. In a matter of 30 to 45 secounds, hundreds of bottles broke on the floor and flooded the store and started running down the hall. It's bad to say it, but I think it was one of the funniest things I have every seen.

My friend was close to the dining room and said all of the fancy glasses and plates on the tables slid off and broke. She thought she was on the Titanic for a second there.

Got to give the Carnival staff credit. They had it all cleaned up within 15 minutes.

Probably 20+ years ago I was a teenaged kid returning to New York from Bermuda on the old Rotterdam. We managed to hit the edge of a hurricane, and the weather was REALLY rough. I recall being back in the Lido, with the ship heeled over about 10 degrees to starboard, listening to crockery smash back in the kitchen, and kneeling down at a window to look up and see the horizon. Suddenly there was an absolutely TERRIBLE shuddering throughout the whole ship coupled with a rhythmic series of VERY loud bangs. I asked one of the crew what that was, and he told me "Oh, that's the props coming out of the water and the blades hitting the surface." :eek: Good times! Anyway, safe and sound the next day, docked in New York and disembarking, you could see huge area of the bow with only its yellow-green primer showing, sure sign that a ship has been through some rough seas.

We cruised the end of August 2003, and hit hurricane Ivan. It was tough. The doors to the outside were closed off, and everyone had to stay inside one night. Everyone was weaving while ealking down the hallway whether you had been drinking or not. It was hilarious. I did feel sorry for those who were sick though. One thing for sure, it didn't stop people from eating. I saw people run to the bathroom to throw up, and come back to eat again !! Not for me !! Trying to sleep that night was fun. You actually rolled in the bed.

• 3 weeks later...

Like the poster above, our bad experience was to/from Antarctica. The Drake Passage is considered some of the roughest waters in the world.....or it can be crystal clear, in which case the sailors call it the "Drake Lake!" We hit seas of 40-60 foot waves. The first day, heading from Ushsaia to Antarctica, we encountered 40-50 waves; almost everyone was in bed sick....and those who were not sick were in bed because you could not sit or stand otherwise. On the return trip, the waves were 50-60 feet, but by then, we had our sea legs, so fewer were sea sick, altho many stayed in bed again because you could not stand or sit.

Now keep in mind, this was not a big 100,000-ton ocean liner. Instead, we were on a 4200-ton, 300 foot, 100-passenger ex-icebreaker.

Simply because of the potential for rough seas in such small "boats," I'm not sure if I would take this trip again. But, I have no regrets having gone (we achieved our goal of 7 continents in 7 years!), and despite the potential for such rough seas, I would strongly recommend it to anyone. At least once!

Sailing to Bermuda in Oct 30th of 2002 aboard Carnival Legends. This was a cruise I got married on, so I didnt care much. Looking back on the trip tape from Carnival, you can see all the "green" people, even the crew. Seas were so rough that they cancelled there "Vegas" style show...both days, for fear of the safety of the dancers. Even though it rained and was cold, a cruise is what you make of it. ;) Even in great weather, I have seen people having awful times, if you can imagine that.:eek:

1995 church cruise on Sun Princess from LAX to Vancouver BC. 30+ foot waves all the way from LAX to north of San Francisco. If you stood midships and looked toward the bow and back toward the stern, it was possible to see the ship rising and falling a tremendous amount as it crossed the waves. One of the members of the church group had the "nerve" to criticize the captain for "not having the stabilizers out" (which, of course, he did, but the waves were just too big for them to handle). Navigating the decks was a chore to say the least.

We are on the SS Norway cruising the Western Caribbean (Oct 1995). It ended up being a 7 day cruise to just about nowhere, lol. A late season hurricane had popped up in the gulf & our captain was trying to out run it. Hubby told me not to worry until I saw the water in my glass waving back & forth. Well, one evening it was all over the place. Nights were particularly scary because the ship was sort of moaning & swaying a lot. I just hoped we didn't fall out of bed. One morning we woke up to the news that we were in Cuban waters the night before seeking refuge from the storm. I didn't think much of it until a little while later Cuba shot down a plane. Yikes! The ship was big & handled it fairly well. It did rock & roll a bit but luckily we had patches on & didn't get sick but a lot of our fellow passengers were not so lucky. I recall them making annoucements telling us not to use the elevators & ladies please don't wear heels. Our only stop was in Ocho Rios & some passengers had shirts made that said "We out ran Roxanne" :-) I sort of felt bad for the crew because they never had a break from the passengers. They were coming up with all sorts of games & shows to keep us occupied. All & all it was fun & it hasn't stopped us from cruising at all.

• 4 weeks later...

My honeymoon in Aug 95 --- Majesty (now part of NCL). We ran into/around hurricane Felix for 3 or 4 days. We were supposed to go to Bermuda, but instead waited off Cape Cod for a few days to see if we could go, then made a run to Freeport, Bahamas (yay.) and then to Nassau (that was ok). 8 day cruise and we got off the boat just a few hours at those 2 stops. Think the seas were 30-35'. Lifeboats were banging into the wall by my head for at least 2 nights. Ice sculptures were falling over. Pools empty. Elevators off. As the ship went up, the stairs felt like walking with a 100# pack on your back - on the way down, you just moved your feet as the ship fell and you climbed the stairs. My favorite was the bags stuck everywhere (and boy did they get used). Then there was the sewage smell. And the icing...because they could not make full speed in the seas, we got off in New York and had to ride a bus to Boston (right past my house!) to get our car. Never thought I would cruise again --- been twice since, and I leave Saturday for Canada (along with Cindy and Dennis --- the lovely hurricanes down south). Guess I am seasoned now though.

August 2004 we sailed from MD to the Carribean... I was awaken by the captian saying "Please, everyone stay in your cabin, we unexpectically hit a tropical storm and we should be out of it in a few hours" We had a port hole cabin so I looked out the window and the waves were hitting the window... I was freaking out! The ship was rocking back and forth for hours on end... After all was said and done, the captain explained that the storm snuck up on us faster then the ship could go... Come on now, this is the 2000's where the hell was the technology on this ship! Any way, we all surrived... I believe the seas were 20 ft waves....

Our cruise started out with an itineary change due to the fact that NCL had paid Donald Trump 1,000,000.00 to be in one of his commericals for the TV show The Apprentice. So 3 days before our sailing some of the passengers were informed that we would not be going to Nassau because we needed to be back in New York for 5 am on April 17 to film this commerical. So that was the beginning of our cruise during our way back we encounted a storm off of Cape Hatteras with wave starting at 12-24 feet and ending with 42 foot seas before we made it to NY. The ship was pounded with these waves for almost 2 days. On the first night I mean early morning the captain came over the PA at 1:30 in the morning to inform us that we would have to make a turn into the storm to try and get a more smoother sail but this did not happen so as we rocked back and forth and up and down we sailed onward Then he came on again to tell us that he had notified the Coast Guard to inform them of our position and that we were out in a storm and were riding it out. At about 6:30 am there was a loud bang and the ship seemed to shake guite a bit. Right away they were on the PA calling a code Alpha on deck 9 which meant that somewhere there was a breach in the ship. That when we were informed that we had just come in contact with a 72 ft rouge wave, that had hit the ship on the port side to the front of the ship causing windows and hot tubs and the ships bow radar to be destroyed. There had been 4 people injured in cabins 9502 and 10502. there were also 62 cabins that had been flooded with sea water. We then were informed that all passengers and crew would have to be seated because the ship was going to make a left turn, so that we could begin heading toward Charlton South Carolina for some needed repairs to the ship. It seemed that the closer we got to Charlston the calmer the sea became. What a relief we did manage to get a nother day onboard the Dawn making it and 8 day cruise in stead of a 7 none the less we never did get back to NY to film that commerical for the Apprentice that we were rushing home to do. Should we have not had to head home early maybe we would not of encounted as must of the storm as we did, never will know but it was an adventure and am very proud of myself for not getting seasick with all the rock and rolling and up and down that we did. though I feel bad for the people that did and boy were there a lot of them the crew was cleaning up all the time.

• 3 weeks later...

I was on Carnival going from NY to Nova Scotia. We only made one of the two scheduled stops in Canada because of Hurricane Gustav (9/03). I spent one whole day of the cruise on the floor of my cabin. No one bothered to tell me that I could have gotten a shot that would have cured the nausea - now I know! The cruise director said he'd been cruising for 12 years and had never experienced anything as bad as that.

"I was on the SS Poseidon in the early 70's for a new years cruise"

"C'mon people, don't you find that funny?

(Just sitting here cracking myself up )"

My grandparents were on that cruise. There were with the people who followed the preacher further down into the ship.

This isn't as much of a horror story as it is a success. It was on the Carnival Paradise last August. We were scheduled to go to St. Thomas, Nassau and the Dominican Republic, but because of Hurricane Ivan, we went to Nassau, Jamaica and Cozumel. We also spent an extra night on the ship for free because the hurricane was in Miami on the day of return! How fun! An 8 day cruise is always better than a 7 day cruise!

Archived