Jim Archer Tours

eurolady

I would be extremely cautious in booking Jim Archer Tours based on my own first hand experience. We booked our tour and received confirmation of booking and time and place to meet. On the day our cruise docked in Tauranga we were 20 minutes early to wait at the designated spot…..well, we waited and waited and waited. No Jim Archer….we went back to the NZ tourist info site and a very nice woman tried reaching him on his cell phone, which was not answered or returned after repeated calls. By this time after patiently waiting for Jim Archer it was too late to tour all the sites we planned to see.

Later, we did receive an email stating he had filled his van and thought the other couple he picked up was us…”The third couple introduced themselves to me by first name only and they all climbed aboard and we left the Port.” . Apparently, they had the same first names as my husband and I?!!! What I believe is that he overbooked…He conveniently had us wait in another area (Archer said he came inside the gate, yet had told us to wait outside the gate) and then when he was filled took off. I can tell you there are about 20 tour operators outside the gate just waiting for customers so my advice is to wait and book one of them or have the Tourist Info tent right outside the ship help you book and save yourself the grief ….I spent $4000 on airfare and went on a trip to New Zealand that at this stage of my life it is highly unlikely that I will do again only to have this horribly disappointing experience…..even though there are many people with positive experiences posting here, why take the risk?

I would be extremely cautious in booking Jim Archer Tours based on my own first hand experience. We booked our tour and received confirmation of booking and time and place to meet. On the day our cruise docked in Tauranga we were 20 minutes early to wait at the designated spot…..well, we waited and waited and waited. No Jim Archer….we went back to the NZ tourist info site and a very nice woman tried reaching him on his cell phone, which was not answered or returned after repeated calls. By this time after patiently waiting for Jim Archer it was too late to tour all the sites we planned to see.

Later, we did receive an email stating he had filled his van and thought the other couple he picked up was us…”The third couple introduced themselves to me by first name only and they all climbed aboard and we left the Port.” . Apparently, they had the same first names as my husband and I?!!! What I believe is that he overbooked…He conveniently had us wait in another area (Archer said he came inside the gate, yet had told us to wait outside the gate) and then when he was filled took off. I can tell you there are about 20 tour operators outside the gate just waiting for customers so my advice is to wait and book one of them or have the Tourist Info tent right outside the ship help you book and save yourself the grief ….I spent $4000 on airfare and went on a trip to New Zealand that at this stage of my life it is highly unlikely that I will do again only to have this horribly disappointing experience…..even though there are many people with positive experiences posting here, why take the risk?

Eurolady,

Thank you so much for this report! We have a tour booked with Jim on Feb., 1, 2014 for 10 of the 11 passengers that Jim said he could accommodate.

When were you in Tauranga, and did you and your DH book his tour as a twosome?

I'm sorry for your bad experience and appreciate the heads-up!

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. We have Archer Tours booked for a tour in early 2014 and I hope my luck is somewhat better, at least our names are not common and our group has 4 on the tour. He does come highly recommended, so I hope this is not the norm for him!

Eurolady,

Thank you so much for this report! We have a tour booked with Jim on Feb., 1, 2014 for 10 of the 11 passengers that Jim said he could accommodate.

When were you in Tauranga, and did you and your DH book his tour as a twosome?

I'm sorry for your bad experience and appreciate the heads-up!

I did book this tour for just the two of us. I know he has many great reviews (that is the reason I booked in the first place). But I couldn't just let this go knowing that someone else on cruise critic (maybe someone that was kind enough to help me in the past with information) might have this happen to them. Enjoy your trip... and have an amazing time.

We did this tour on the 20th January, 2013. Jim told us to meet outside the gates as no one is allowed in the gates excess Princess Cruise tours. He was there and it was the best tour. He was wonderful and full of information.

I am sorry you did not get to meet him and experience his tour. I would recommend him in a heart beat. For the people who have booked him, dont worry you will have a great time.

Maybe the two other passengers that took your place read your names on his board and took your places. Not very nice of them, maybe it is them you should be angry with too.

I, too, am sorry that you did not get to experience your tour with Jim. Like Jules Syd, my husband and I had the most wonderful day with Jim recently on December 22, 2013. We were on the Crystal Symphony Holiday Cruise when we met Jim, which took us through New Zealand and Australia. I booked Jim for a private tour months ago (I do things very early!), and every communication was met with a prompt, courteous, friendly, informative reply. The tour was for only my husband and myself. About a month prior to beginning our NZ/Australia adventure, I emailed Jim to reconfirm our tour. He responded immediately with reconfirmation and instructions for how to meet him just outside the gate. When we arrived off the ship in Taraunga, there he was waiting for us with a smile. Now, for our tour . . .

Jim took us to visit the Te Puia Maori cultural center, the Kiwi house, and the Geothermal Valley. But not only did Jim transport us in comfort to these venues, he is, on his own, extremely knowledgeable about the Maori culture as he, himself, is Maori. Being Maori, he was friends with the woman who led the cultural show, and arranged for my husband to participate in the show as the Maori Chief if my husband so desired. When I heard that we would be able to secure premium seats in the show if my husband was Chief, I definitely encouraged my husband to participate. It was a very special experience, and we owe the opportunity to Jim. In a word, our day with Jim was EXCEPTIONAL! He is not only extremely knowledgeable, but he is an extremely warm and nice man as well.

As I said when I began this post, I'm very sorry that the original poster was not able to spend their day with Jim. I just couldn't read this thread, however, and let it go without adding my input about the memorable day that we spent with Jim. To anyone who is considering whether or not to use Jim's service, please don't be discouraged by the unfortunate experience described here. I know that I would feel exactly the same way as the original poster if I had arranged for a private excursion that didn't go as planned. I know because it's happened to me too. But nonetheless, I was compelled to write in Jim's defense simply because we had such an incredible day with him, and I wouldn't want others to miss out.

Shelley:)

I, too, am sorry that you did not get to experience your tour with Jim. Like Jules Syd, my husband and I had the most wonderful day with Jim recently on December 22, 2013. We were on the Crystal Symphony Holiday Cruise when we met Jim, which took us through New Zealand and Australia. I booked Jim for a private tour months ago (I do things very early!), and every communication was met with a prompt, courteous, friendly, informative reply. The tour was for only my husband and myself. About a month prior to beginning our NZ/Australia adventure, I emailed Jim to reconfirm our tour. He responded immediately with reconfirmation and instructions for how to meet him just outside the gate. When we arrived off the ship in Taraunga, there he was waiting for us with a smile. Now, for our tour . . .

Jim took us to visit the Te Puia Maori cultural center, the Kiwi house, and the Geothermal Valley. But not only did Jim transport us in comfort to these venues, he is, on his own, extremely knowledgeable about the Maori culture as he, himself, is Maori. Being Maori, he was friends with the woman who led the cultural show, and arranged for my husband to participate in the show as the Maori Chief if my husband so desired. When I heard that we would be able to secure premium seats in the show if my husband was Chief, I definitely encouraged my husband to participate. It was a very special experience, and we owe the opportunity to Jim. In a word, our day with Jim was EXCEPTIONAL! He is not only extremely knowledgeable, but he is an extremely warm and nice man as well.

As I said when I began this post, I'm very sorry that the original poster was not able to spend their day with Jim. I just couldn't read this thread, however, and let it go without adding my input about the memorable day that we spent with Jim. To anyone who is considering whether or not to use Jim's service, please don't be discouraged by the unfortunate experience described here. I know that I would feel exactly the same way as the original poster if I had arranged for a private excursion that didn't go as planned. I know because it's happened to me too. But nonetheless, I was compelled to write in Jim's defense simply because we had such an incredible day with him, and I wouldn't want others to miss out.

Thank you, Shelley, for sharing your fabulous experience with Jim Archer! We have our tour booked with him for 2/2014, and it sounds identical to yours!

Carolyn

Thank you for your feedback.

I did email you that same day or maybe it was the following day to apologise for not being there for you when you came off the ship and I also explained why this happened. The reason I missed you may have sounded a little bit lame but it was the truth. The lesson I have learned from this is not only count heads in my van, but to tick off names. I had 9-passengers pre-booked for the day including you and my van is licensed to carry 11-passengers so I was definitely not over-booked or full. Another two people would have been great for me.

The Information centre did phone me but as I was driving, I could not answer the phone as we are not allowed to use phones while driving. I did call her back when we made our next stop. By this time she said you had left. She also told me that she tried to sell you other tours which were similar to mine but you did not wish to take them.

Once again I do apologise for ruining your day and as I said in my email, if you ever get the opportunity to come back this way I would be very happy to give you a free tour to Rotorua for you and your husband.

Jim Archer

Owner/operator

Archer Tours

Archived