Climbing Gros Piton - looking for advice on how to arrange

runnergirlcinci

I read on Trip Advisor about the hike up Gros Piton and the amazing views once you get to the top. It sounds like you need a guide to do it. Does anyone have any advice on how to arrange this? My husband and I are in our late 40s/50s and relatively in shape - bike and run regularly.

Thank you

I read on Trip Advisor about the hike up Gros Piton and the amazing views once you get to the top. It sounds like you need a guide to do it. Does anyone have any advice on how to arrange this? My husband and I are in our late 40s/50s and relatively in shape - bike and run regularly.

Thank you

Yes, you do have to have a guide for the hike. There are several options to arrange this. 1) take a tour - spencer Ambrose and Serenity TVL both offer cruise guest tours including transportation, etc for the hike. You start from the beach trailhead with these, via a sea transfer from the port area. Adds about 600 ft to the hike. 2) take a land transfer/taxi or arrange for one of the other tour groups to go by land - Real St. Lucia tours, Serenity, Barefoot Holidays, etc. About 1.15-1.5 hours by vehicle to trailhead, then hike.

The hike itself is about 4-5 hours, so the sea transfer is speedier and gets you there and back faster, which comes in handy when having to meet the ship! It is a tough, strenuous hike - be prepared to feel it that night/next day.

If you just want spectacular views without strenuous hike, consider the Tet Paul trail - stunning views from the ridge overlooking the Pitons, and more of a walk/hike, about 45-1 hour. You would need land transportation there/back.

Enjoy your visit!

Thank you

If you want to climb the Gros Piton, then I would recommend Spencer Ambrose Tours because he will get you there by speed boat. Traveling by water is much quicker than traveling 1-1 1/2 hours along the winding west coast roads by van to get there. Spencer will take care of arranging a trail guide (which is required for the climb) and his rate also includes lunch and beverages.

We climbed the Gros Piton with Spencer Ambrose back in 2011, so I can highly recommend his services. Climbing the Gros Piton is definitely a strenuous and tiring climb but is also very rewarding.

Check out this thread on Cruise Critics to find links to reviews with photos and who these reviewers went with. In post #3 you will find the links to my review with photos as well as the link to my youtube video of our Gros Piton Climb.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1814095

Any other questions, just ask.

Hope this helps.

Thank you dz63 and reedprincess for the information! It's exactly what I needed. It looks like Spencer Ambrose is our best bet. Serenity TVL didn't have a sea option and I don't want to do 1.5 hrs by land.

I watched the video you put together, dz63. It looks just beautiful. And the link to gapearl's review was hilarious. I'd like to think we can make it to the top based on our workouts.

The one thing that struck me was the comment on the mosquito bugs that gapearl made in her post. Did either of you find that to be an issue?

Thank you dz63 and reedprincess for the information! It's exactly what I needed. It looks like Spencer Ambrose is our best bet. Serenity TVL didn't have a sea option and I don't want to do 1.5 hrs by land.

I watched the video you put together, dz63. It looks just beautiful. And the link to gapearl's review was hilarious. I'd like to think we can make it to the top based on our workouts.

The one thing that struck me was the comment on the mosquito bugs that gapearl made in her post. Did either of you find that to be an issue?

Maybe it depends on the time of year, but we had no issues with mosquito's--but then using a bug repellent is always a good idea.

Mosquitos will be somewhat dependent on time of year, but more on what the weather has recently been on island. They will be more prevalent in the first days after some heavy rain, etc. It is a rainforest tropical island, mosquitos are around all the time - better to be prepared and not need it than to be eaten alive. Enjoy!

• 4 months later...

We did the climb and loved it!! But it is NOT for someone that doesn't work out regularly. It's not what I would call an 'easy' hike. Took us about 2 hours and 15 minutes to get to the top and probably an hour and a half to get back down. The view from the top was incredible. You could see for miles.

Spencer took care of everything (transportation, guide, lunch once we were done).

We brought bug spray but had no issues with bugs.

Thanks for all of the advice here.

Edited by runnergirlcinci

Runnergirl, I am interested in this hike also. I will be in St. Lucia in April. I run and workout regularly too. How hard was it? I don't hike usually. Do they give you walking sticks to you?

dz63, I watched your video! It was great! It really makes me what to do it. Was it hard for you guys? Your youngest kid looks pretty tired/miserable towards the end of it. LOL. Everyone looks happy but him. :)

Thanks in advance for anyone with advice.

If you run regularly you will be fine. We run and bike but don't hike either and we did fine. But it will definitely count as your workout for the day! Will you be out of breath? Yes. But it is so worth it. No need for walking sticks, it's too steep of a climb. When you need it there are often handrails. Again, if you workout you should be fine. It's such an accomplishment when you get to the top!!

Runnergirl, I am interested in this hike also. I will be in St. Lucia in April. I run and workout regularly too. How hard was it? I don't hike usually. Do they give you walking sticks to you?

dz63, I watched your video! It was great! It really makes me what to do it. Was it hard for you guys? Your youngest kid looks pretty tired/miserable towards the end of it. LOL. Everyone looks happy but him. :)

Thanks in advance for anyone with advice.

Hi rcprncess. Glad you enjoyed the video. The climb is hard and extremely strenuous. The boys found it easier than I did though! Be prepared to breathe heavily and sweat like you never sweat before! My youngest son wasn't miserable by the end of the climb--he just' doesn't like posing for photos! In regards to walking sticks, they did have some available, but the climb is very steep and you really need your hands free for climbing over the boulders and high rocks.

Dz, thanks. It's probably easier for the kids, lol. I will be prepared for a strenuous adventure. It seems worth it. I hope there's no rain. Also, I understand about posing for pictures. Especially for a kid. Lol. Thanks.

Not only was the climb easier for the kids, but it was effortless for the guides. While you are breaking out in a sweat, breathing heavily and struggling while climbing over the boulders and rough terrain--they continue on as if this was an easy walk in the park. They are like a machine--through it all they continue to breathe normally and do not even break out in a sweat!

Enjoy the climb. This is definitely something you will be able to cross off your bucket list.

Edited by dz63

We had about an hour+ to spend at the beach and have lunch. The snorkeling was surprisingly amazing. We snorkel a lot in the Caribbean and didn't expect much when we got there based on the size of the area to snorkel (there were swim markers for you to stay in). But there were so many different kinds of fish it was incredible. We could have stayed much longer if there was time.

Lunch was excellent - jerk chicken, rice, and some other items. They had packaged it up for us since we were hiking when the others ate lunch (we didn't get back until around 1:30). As for the rum punch - it was stronger than I expected. I would recommend drinking it in moderation, especially if you are dehydrated from climbing the mountain. Our guide carried a couple of bottles of water for us while hiking (from Spencer's boat driver) because we didn't have a backpack ourselves.

If you can, request Cameron as your guide. He was excellent. A 20 year old that essentially lives on the mountain. He was quiet at the beginning but we got to know him very well by the end of the hike and really enjoyed his company. I would highly recommend him. He was courteous and made sure to take breaks as we needed them even though we never asked, he's just sensed it.

Happy to answer any other questions,

Erica

Yes there was a place to change and restrooms right at the beach. I think there may have been a shower too (but we just changed and immediately ate and went into the water).

Spencer's folks held onto our bag with clothes, towels and snorkel gear while we hiked. I had no concerns about it while we were gone.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you think the hike would be doable for an 8.5 year old boy? He is very active in sports, and we hike regularly at home, just without the steep climbing. Is it risky for falls? No wall scaling I hope .

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I guess the question would be - could he hike continuously uphill for 2-2.5 hours? I thought I saw a video posted on line of a family doing the climb and there were boys in it but I am not sure of their ages. Try searching the internet and maybe you can find it and compare the kids to the boy you would be bringing.

Do you think the hike would be doable for an 8.5 year old boy? He is very active in sports, and we hike regularly at home, just without the steep climbing. Is it risky for falls? No wall scaling I hope .

My youngest son was 12 when we climbed the Gros Piton and he had no trouble with it at all. There is no wall scaling but alot of climbing up and over steep terrain and boulders--and with the heat and humidity it is a hot and sweaty climb!

I guess the question would be - could he hike continuously uphill for 2-2.5 hours? I thought I saw a video posted on line of a family doing the climb and there were boys in it but I am not sure of their ages. Try searching the internet and maybe you can find it and compare the kids to the boy you would be bringing.

Very likely, you are referring to the Youtube video of our family climbing the Gros Piton.

Here is the link:

• 4 weeks later...
I have arranged the tour with Spencer Ambrose ($125/pp) and will add bug spray to my packing list. Thank you for all of the advice. My cruise isn't until February but I am really looking forward to this hike!

how was the spencer ambrose tour? im looking to book for june but have seen negative reviews because he seems to overbook and overload the tours? ty

We had a fantastic experience. We were there in February. Spencer's boat picked up us and three other couples at the cruise port. We were the only two hiking and he dropped us off at the base of the Pitons, where we met our personal guide. When we were done hiking the guide called the boat and it picked us up right away and took us to where there other folks had spent the day at the beach. We had no issues with Spencer's service. Not sure if that's because we were there during an uncrowded time period or not. Our guide, a young man named Cameron (who I would highly recommend) said he thought Spencer did a very good job versus other tour operators planning hikes.

Just my two cents. I know others have had different experiences.

• 3 months later...

What ship were you on when you did the climb, and did you feel worried at all about getting back to the ship in time? I will be on the Valor, which is supposed to be in port from 8 to 5. I would LOVE to do this trip, and from reading reviews, I feel comfortable with Spencer Ambrose. It seems that he has several boats, so perhaps if time was short I would be able to go straight from Gros Piton to the ship if needed.

My biggest concern, I think, is that someone in my hiking group would take an exceptionally long time to climb and thus delay my return. I will be traveling by myself. Of course, I realize there is always the risk that I could get injured or something, but that's a personal risk I'm willing to take.

We were on a Princess ship when we did the climb last year. For us, we got back with time to then go have lunch at the beach where the others on the excursion spent the day, snorkel and had a small amount of relaxing. So it was not a rush to make the ship.

How long it will take you is a matter of how in shape you are. The more in shape the less and/or shorter breaks you will need to take. The day we did the climb it was only my husband and I with the guide.