had it with Windstar

katj323

I posted a few weeks about a problem I was having with Windstar. My parents were arriving 2 days after my wedding, blah blah blah. Today we all got our offical documents. This is the trip from He11 ! We also paid extra to stay in Venice for an additional 2 nights. We planned on it, booked our rooms and planned our outings. Wrong!!!! Windstar/ Holland America booked our flight the day the ship comes into Venice. Since their policy is to not send the final travel documents prior to 2 weeks before departure, I was unaware of this latest problem. All I can say, is unless you are VERY VERY flexable in your travel plans, find another cruise line and save your money! Windstar/ Holland America is very comfortable taking tens of thousands of dollars from you, and saying they are sorry that it didn't work out the way YOU had planned it. I am 13 days from departure, and the cancellation fee is 80%. Windstar is going to have 4 well travel adults (they will be able to tell from our US passports) very angry and outspoken. In hindsight, I would have rather camped with bare necessities in the jungle of a deserted island. BEWARE!

I'm so sorry to hear of all your troubles. With all the stress of a wedding, the last thing that should be stressing you is the details of the honeymoon.

If this were me, at this point I'd be getting an attorney to fire off a polite, by very, very angry certified letter to someone high up in the Windstar/HAL hierchy threatening legal action if this matter was not resolved to my satisfaction.

It is after hearing stories like yours that I realize why I NEVER let the cruiseline take care of my air. Nor would I ever permit them to take care of my pre or post hotel arrangements. I'd sooner do them myself or have my TA take care of them. At least if the TA screws up, I have someone I can go to ... an actual name of a person ... to get the matter rectified.

Again, I would turn this whole thing over to my attorney. No way would I settle for my father missing my wedding or having my post-cruise stay loused up.

Blue skies and good luck!

--rita

On June 9th, in your previous post, I recommended you get a lawyer to write a letter. Now another poster is recommending the same thing. Did you have a letter sent? Why do you post if you are unwilling to take advice from those who are trying to help you?

You were running out of time then -- you are really out of time now.

What I'm having such a hard time with is that so few people came to assist you weeks ago. Not even the HOST of this board, who certainly has "connections" aplenty.

Unless I misunderstand, this board's members should be helping one another with problems, as much as they like to offer their suggestions. Hell, enough of you read the OP (6th most read thread on this entire board).

Having not contributed, this board's members should now feel nothing but SHAME. And to anybody working for Windstar reading these posts, you have let-down not only us (your paycheck), but also your company.

What I'm having such a hard time with is that so few people came to assist you weeks ago. Not even the HOST of this board, who certainly has "connections" aplenty.

Sorry, but we Hosts are volunteers recruited to assist in monitoring our assigned boards. As Hosts, we cannot be "connected" with any cruise line or travel agency. (I've been a volunteer Host on Cruise Critic since 1996.) My only "connection" (singular) with Windstar is that I have been on, and have enjoyed, Windstar cruises. I also have sailed a lot on Windstar's parent line, Holland America Line.

It's my practice not to comment on any issue unless I can add something to the discussion. In this case, my advice, early on would be to NEVER book a cruise directly with the line but through a "brick and mortar" (not online) travel agency. Because the situation is past that point, I would have advised the OP to contact an attorney and discuss the situation; and that was suggested on June 9. At that time there would have been plenty of time to resolve the matter before the July 2 sailing date.

The fact that "...so few people came to assist..." is likely to be that there really is nothing that can be done apart from engaging an attorney and/or a willing travel agent, to enter the case. If I were in this situation, I would be on the phone escalating to the most senior Customer Service person at Windstar and recording the conversations for use in any future actions. If I did not receive satisfaction, I would immediately engage an attorney (before traveling) to establish front end evidentiary details for subsequent action. Time's a-wasting with only 11 days to go, but there is still a slim possibility that a good attorney or travel agent can resolve the matter.

(Incidentally, the OP never mentioned whether he asked expedia.com to assist him in his quest to resolve the problem. They booked the cruise with Windstar-although the air was booked separately with Windstar - so they also have a dog in this race. They also may be able to assist.)

My experiences with Windstar have always been excellent, and I attribute that to the professional work my travel agent has always done for us. She tracks every detail with her HAL Sales Representative and ensures that every requirement, down to our preferred cabin location (bottom deck front) is taken care of. Incidentally, we usually have her book our own air and lodging because we want total flexibility (and frequent flier points). She usually meets or beats the prices charged by the cruise lines.

I think I was one of the original responses to this post....Windstar always sends a confirmation of booking. What was on the confirmation? Air reservations are changeable (for a fee and Windstar should certainly absorb this). Get the name of the highest ranking peron at HAL that you can (check their ticker symbol on any financial website. It will list their corporate officers. Start with the CEO and work your way down)

This is my fourth Windstar cruise and I have never had any problem with this line, whether pre, during or post cruise.

I did contact an attorney, but they wanted $1000 dollars to start the process. we are not rich people. I did find out that the rep that first booked the air through the air desk at Windstar was let go last month. She cleared out her desk and took/deleated all the devations with her. They are able to get me out on the correct date, but the airline still wants to be paid for the change in airfair. My family and I have decided to pay the additional $600 just to finish this nightmare. I spoke to the lead travel agent/supervisor at windstar by the name of "James" a few times today. I did call Holland America and they just transfer me back to the same department that I have ben dealing with! This is unfortunate, but everyone (today) told me that one never should book the air with a cruise compant for this very reason. I was just suprised that Holland wouldn't suck it up and pay for mistake. I told the supervisor today that my father is angry and will speak up on that small ship if anyone asks how his trip is.

It is unfortunate that you have had such a problem with Windstar. Rickcohen2 complains that others have not stepped in to help. I don't understand what anyone on this board could do to help solve the problem. On the Windstar web pages there are about 4 or 5 phone numbers you can call. One is the "corporate" number ((206) 281-3535).

If I had this problem, I would be calling every phone number I could find and asking for the "Director" or VP of Sales. The key is to work up the organization asking for the person's supervisor whenever I was told "no".

That said, doing a Google search for "Windstar Vice President Sales" turns up a recent press release that Richard Meadows is VP of Sales at HAL. The press release also gives a name of Rose Abello Phone: 206-281-3535. She may be a PR person but I am sure that she has some interest in making things right and avoiding bad publicity. Another of the Windstar Press Releases shows the following name: Brandie Ahlgren, (206) 270-6306. Brandy seems to be signing the current Windstar Press releases and shows the e-mail address of PR@windstarcruises.com.

Another article shows Tom Russell as the VP of Sales and Marketing for Windstar. No phone number is given for him. It appears from the Google search that Russell is still the VP. Try calling the corporate number and asking for him. Again, do not take no for an answer.

I am sure that if you get to the person that has some authority they will make the situation right.

One other note, when you are onboard, PLEASE do not complain too much that you spoil the trip for others.

Good luck.

You could try writing to the "Ombudsman" column at Conde Nast Traveler magazine to see if they'll go to bat for you to get your change fees back from Windstar. You need to write to them (not email) & include all documentation. Correspondence must be typed & include a daytime phone #. Send to: Ombudsman, Conde Nast Traveler, 4 Times Square, New York, NY 10036. No, I don't work for the magazine but read it. They seem to help a lot of people who've had trouble with various travel providers.

I did contact an attorney, but they wanted $1000 dollars to start the process. we are not rich people. I did find out that the rep that first booked the air through the air desk at Windstar was let go last month. She cleared out her desk and took/deleated all the devations with her. They are able to get me out on the correct date, but the airline still wants to be paid for the change in airfair. My family and I have decided to pay the additional $600 just to finish this nightmare. I spoke to the lead travel agent/supervisor at windstar by the name of "James" a few times today. I did call Holland America and they just transfer me back to the same department that I have ben dealing with! This is unfortunate, but everyone (today) told me that one never should book the air with a cruise compant for this very reason. I was just suprised that Holland wouldn't suck it up and pay for mistake. I told the supervisor today that my father is angry and will speak up on that small ship if anyone asks how his trip is.
It sounds like, except for the $600.00 and the extreme aggravation you had to endure at this critical point in your life, things are coming together.

Rather than griping (more than a comment or two) on board to folks who can't do diddly to help you out and who are unlikely to be influenced by your experience, I urge you to draft a letter, now, directed to the President of Holland America Lines:

Mr. Stein Kruse, President and Chief Executive Officer

Holland America Lines and Windstar Cruises

300 Elliott Avenue West, Seattle, WA 98119

Phone: (206) 281-3535

Fax: (206) 286-3229

E-mail: info@windstarcruises.com

In my opinion you are entitled to more than just an apology from a CSR, considering the monumental efforts you put in and frustrations you encountered. A brief letter describing the specifics (with no emotion or peripheral material) and mentioning the fact that you understand that the CSR you dealt with was canned after screwing up your reservations, should result in some remediation.

If you wait until you return from your cruise and if you enjoyed the entire experience (I'm betting you all will love it), adding your positive comments about the cruise can only help you get some positive results.

Conversely, apart from a minor emotional release, beefing about the situation to people who can't help you won't serve any useful purpose.

As for the suggestion to contact Conde Nast, that's a useful suggestion, but only after you've tried contacting Mr. Kruse. The Conde Nast folks won't pursue the matter until you have exhausted all possible remedies yourself.

BTW, congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I can't think of a better way to start a marriage than on the most romantic cruise ship I know of, Wind Spirit and finishing up in the most romantic city in the world, Venice.

(Suggestion. Make sure that you are standing in the Piazza San Marcos at 5:00pm on Saturday, July 9 with your camera ready. The sight of your ship sailing by with the gondolas and the Doges Palace in the foreground and San Giorgio Maggiore across the canal will be breathtaking and one you will always remember!)

Here's the Canaletto painting of how that scene looked a few years back. Except for the garments, little has changed. (The painting is in the British Museum)

The%20Piazzetta.jpg

I have to agree about the windstar business office. We cruised on windsurf Jan. 23 cruise. We were to get a ship board credit. Which we chose to use in the spa. I asked the staff in the spa if it would be credited to my bill. They said, yes. It was not. When we questioned our final bill we were told to call Todd at windstar when we returned home. We did that only to speak to his assistant, Jennifer several times. It took us numerous phone calls, including a few from our TA. we finally got our $100.00. I could not understand why they would argue over $100.00 especially since this was our third cruise with them. We may try another cruise line next time. Just because windstar has such poor customer service. Our cruise was good but not outstanding.There were a few things that were disappointing while on board. For instance, No water skiing available because they did not have any boats with enough power to pull a skier.

... Rickcohen2 complains that others have not stepped in to help. I don't understand what anyone on this board could do to help solve the problem.

..and then you (and others) did just that... providing suggestions, names and numbers.

It just took a while. My faith has been restored. Thanks!

Archived