Booking Viking direct versus thru TA

Fairfield Nana

We have booked the Viking Star "Viking Homelands--July 2016" itinerary thru our travel agent, who is very helpful and a good guy. Unfortunately, Viking has told me that all correspondence with them must g in both directions thru our TA. While this is a first with us, I'm not sure if it is a big problem as yet, other than they say on their respective website that we will be able to receive future notices of events and opportunities by e-mail , as well as inquire/book such things as restaurants and shore excursions on-line.

Anybody have similar experiences, and should we be concerned? I'm sure our TA will continue to support us in this matter, but seems like a big burden/imposition to place on him.

We have booked the Viking Star "Viking Homelands--July 2016" itinerary thru our travel agent, who is very helpful and a good guy. Unfortunately, Viking has told me that all correspondence with them must g in both directions thru our TA. While this is a first with us, I'm not sure if it is a big problem as yet, other than they say on their respective website that we will be able to receive future notices of events and opportunities by e-mail , as well as inquire/book such things as restaurants and shore excursions on-line.

Anybody have similar experiences, and should we be concerned? I'm sure our TA will continue to support us in this matter, but seems like a big burden/imposition to place on him.

I will give you my Viking number to give to your TA. We will both get a

voucher for $100. # 1044764130 Donna Corcoran. Here is an explanation

http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/PDF/vikingreferralrewards.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Viking very strict about not answering any questions if you book with a travel agent. I am going in June 2014 and wanted confirmation that twin beds had been asked for. Phone call, then email eventual answer " due to privacy they could not tell me, and referred me back to agent" . So until we get onto the boat we will not know what beds are in the room. Seems strange to me that this information would not be accessible by viking staff.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Or that your TA had not been informed by Viking of this policy. Apparently mine hadn't as he referred me to them for info and seemed surprised when V turned our questions away unanswered. I don't understand the rationale behind this. I'm pretty sure I paid the same price for this cruise as I would have booking direct thru Viking. Oh well, it's done and we'll deal with it. Our TA has promised to take care of us in these matters and get all of our questions answered and later reservations made for any shore tours or "on board" stuff.

We book using a travel agent. If I have a specific question regarding my booking, my T/A contacts her representative at Viking on my behalf and I get a reponse within a day or two. If there is a general question -- not involving my personal booking -- I contact Viking via email for clarification and have always received a response.

Your T/A is making a commission on your booking, so requesting confirmation about your stateroom configuration, optional excursions, special food requests, etc. are certainly appropriate questions that your T/A should be more than happy to handle for you.

• 3 months later...

Our TA expects to handle all the details for our cruises. She did this with our river cruise, and is doing so with our oceans cruise.

She also does the same with our upcoming Holland America cruise this fall.

It works well for us. She handles issues as well as standard subjects. As mentioned before, they earn a commission and I think most consider it part of the package.