Auckland : what to do

Hello: Researching what to do in Auckland in mid November 2015. Our goal is to have an easy three days pre cruise and get over jet lag. We are staying at a B+B near Herne Bay --no car and will use bus system.

On our list are the Auckland Museum and the Maritime Museum. We would like to take a day trip to one of the islands --what do you recommend. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Ferry to Davenport as well is worth doing. There are superb views from Davenport back to Auckland, also a lovely chocolate shop on the island.

Also a ferry to Rangitoto Island which is volcanic and a nature reserve. Best to take water and food with you if you go here as there are no cafes. You can walk up to the top of the summit (it takes about 1 hour) and you do need sturdy shows but the view from the top is worth it.

There are day trips up to the Bay of Islands and boat trips which are worth seeing.

The Sky Tower in Auckland has some nice restaurants and you can go to the top of the Sky Tower and the views are absolutely stunning. If you are very brave (or stupid) then you can walk round the outside of the Sky Tower.

Ponsonby which you can walk to is an arts and craft area with some very nice walks and restaurants.

Auckland Zoo - good way to spend a day

MOTAT - Museum of Transport and Technology is very interesting and has a small train which goes to and fro the aircraft museum

I have a similar trip planned later this month. From the reading I've done the Skytower allows you back the same day after dark if you first go up in the morning and buy a return later ticket which I think is only $2 more than a single admission. So you can see the view by day and by night. :)

A friend of mine who used to live there has also recommended the Auckland Domain and the museum in there which I think is the same one as you have on your list :)

I can also recommend the following:

Set on the waterfront of Auckland City on Okahu Bay, just moments from the famous Mission Bay beach, Kelly Tarlton's SEA LIFE Aquarium is one of Auckland's top attractions!

Kelly Tarlton's showcases over 30 live animal exhibits in spectacular habitat displays, including the world's largest Antarctic penguin colony exhibit and amazing underwater viewing tunnels. You can even walk onto the ice for an "up close" encounter with penguins.;)

As I don't know what LOTR means I isn't be a fan :D

Lord of the Rings, a lot of the natural scenery was filmed in NZ as well as Hobbitton and some other scenes that were made on the North Island.:D

I can also recommend the following:

Set on the waterfront of Auckland City on Okahu Bay, just moments from the famous Mission Bay beach, Kelly Tarlton's SEA LIFE Aquarium is one of Auckland's top attractions!

Kelly Tarlton's showcases over 30 live animal exhibits in spectacular habitat displays, including the world's largest Antarctic penguin colony exhibit and amazing underwater viewing tunnels. You can even walk onto the ice for an "up close" encounter with penguins.;)

Thanks for this one! I LOVE penguins so this will be added to my must-do list :D

Lord of the Rings, a lot of the natural scenery was filmed in NZ as well as Hobbitton and some other scenes that were made on the North Island.:D

T minus 14 days until I'll be doing the Hobbitton trip! :D:D