Oceans' cruise document package a letdown

algaes

Viking Oceans cruise material came today loose in an post office envelope from the travel agent. I assume the agent did not fail to forward everything given to her for our trip. In contrast, the document package received for our Viking River cruise last May was very well put together including a zippered portfolio for holding everything. Want to use the Rivers' portfolio to hold your Oceans booklets - forget it, the Oceans booklets are taller so they don't fit.

The cruise documents booklet itself is well-done from a looks perspective. But like many other occasions on this maiden cruise, Viking slips up in the execution. For example, the tour you signed up for is labeled "You've Selected. Bravo! However, right next to that entry are some called "We Recommend" that overlap with your selection and are therefore impossible to pick. I don't understand how this close to the cruise, Viking is still pitching tours that they have cancelled because of logistics. For example, they recommend a 7 hour tour on the last day in Barcelona when the ship is scheduled to pull out at 1pm!

The paper and leather luggage tags are the red and white scheme with the Viking Cruises brand on them. Going from one to two product lines, now Rivers & Oceans, they missed the opportunity to differentiate materials provided to cruisers. Those who cross-buy in the Viking Cruises brand have no tangible evidence of their experiences.

Just another sign to me that the marketing people at Viking don't get that it is the complete experience from purchasing a cruise all the way up to sailing on it that people take enjoyment in.

Edited by algaes
added content

Viking Oceans cruise material came today loose in an post office envelope from the travel agent. I assume the agent did not fail to forward everything given to her for our trip. In contrast, the document package received for our Viking River cruise last May was very well put together including a zippered portfolio for holding everything. Want to use the Rivers' portfolio to hold your Oceans booklets - forget it, the Oceans booklets are taller so they don't fit.

The cruise documents booklet itself is well-done from a looks perspective. But like many other occasions on this maiden cruise, Viking slips up in the execution. For example, the tour you signed up for is labeled "You've Selected. Bravo! However, right next to that entry are some called "We Recommend" that overlap with your selection and are therefore impossible to pick. I don't understand how this close to the cruise, Viking is still pitching tours that they have cancelled because of logistics. For example, they recommend a 7 hour tour on the last day in Barcelona when the ship is scheduled to pull out at 1pm!......

Maybe next year they'll design something specifically for Viking Oceans cruisers; who knows? If not, the red luggage tags will do. At least we get something substantial - one (less expensive/classier) cruise line I know sends you those ones you get at the airport. If you have a guaranteed cabin category (and no assigned cabin yet) you have to download paper luggage tags from their website and tape them together! Unless you have a printer that can print better paper, they look like they'll get chewed up after one baggage handler grabs your bag!

Anyway, since we're now less than a month from when Star leaves Istanbul, I'm assuming you're going on the first cruise or leg of another cruise and will be going to Venice. If so, does the information include an address for the port of Venice, or an indication of whether it is Marittima, San Basilio or Santa Marta location? I don't think this is the type of information that is normally posted for each port, especially since port assignments can change at any time. However, people will be getting off (and on) in Venice, so I'm hoping they've provided an address other than just "Port of Venice."

Let me know how that 7 hour tour in Barcelona goes! That should be an interesting one....Oops!

Edited by roothy123

Still haven't received ours

Did you book with a TA or Viking? I would starting calling soon to find out what happened.

I think the docs are fine...the coins are nice but I am trying to de-clutter my house at this point, not sure what to do with them.

It arrived today, UPS Next Day Air.

I'm impressed, a lot of useful info. No maps, but I'm sure the format is too small for maps. Probably nice big ones once we get there.

I've noticed my explorer society number is different, longer too.

• 2 weeks later...

Our documents arrived today. We board on May 2nd in Barcelona for the Passage Through Western Europe leg.

A lot of questions answered in the documentation. The post excursion hotel information is detailed, tipping information, medical support in the ship, what the Silver Spirit package includes (but not the cost), and some info on dining.

I've not heard of The Explorers Lounge called 'Mamsen's' before. It's listed as a dinner spot along with the Aquavit Terrace.

There is also some good info on entertainment. There will be live entertainment nightly in Torshavn. The Star theater is a multi-purpose venue with lectures by day and production shows at night. The two cinemas will show first run films as well as destination-oriented classics, while the pool deck will host movies under the stars.

Our package also included luggage tags, transfer stickers, and big Viking dots to stick on our shirts and identify us as cruise geeks at the airport for easy pickup. Of course we will use them!

I've not heard of The Explorers Lounge called 'Mamsen's' before. It's listed as a dinner spot along with the Aquavit Terrace.

Mamsen's is a Scandinavian-themed deli on the starboard side as you enter the Explorer's Lounge. They will apparently also be featuring a daily "waffle hour" as well :-)