Recommendations Copper River Senic Jet Boat Tour?

villager13

Are you talking the "Copper river Scenic Jet Boat Tour" 2.5 hour tour package, as offered by Princess Cruises in their Optional Land Excursions? Hard to figure out what you may be getting at here, as the Copper River is huge and there are a lot of jet boat tours.

However, assuming that is the one you are describing, for $139. 59 pp. I would say go for it. It would be an interesting short day day on a short expanse of the calmer and less interesting portion of the river, but well worth it nevertheless.

That is, of course, you are unable to do the real jewel of the Wrangell Mountains from a Copper Center Princess Lodge location and that is the Historic Kennicott & Wrangell-St. Elias Flightseeing Adventure, which includes a comprehensive tour of McCarthy and the original Kennecott Copper Corporation mine's mill site at the base of Mount Blackburn.

In short, do yourself a favor, for $395.95 pp and forget a run on the river to the west of the Park, you will not regret it.

I have been trying to get the flightseeing adventure from Princess but the first time I looked at it, the tour was listed as sold out and that was the first day it was listed. Now it doesn't even show up on their tour options. Is there a way to book that tour through another company?

I have been trying to get the flightseeing adventure from Princess but the first time I looked at it, the tour was listed as sold out and that was the first day it was listed. Now it doesn't even show up on their tour options. Is there a way to book that tour through another company?

I'm not certain what is going on. Wrangell Mt. Air has been running that Princess tour for years. Here is their website link and Facebook page. I don't believe they run this tour independent of Princess, there is no other operator that does, unless you charter, which is not a tour. I'm wondering if they had a falling out with Princess??? I spend my summers out there but winter in Anchorage. I asked some friends in McCarthy if they knew what was going on and they hadn't heard that anything changed. Let us know what you find out.

http://www.wrangellmountainair.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Wrangell-Mountain-Air-252201985305/?fref=ts

You can book the Tour to Wrangell St. Elias National Park independently if you have your own ground transport as the tour departs from the Chitina Airport.

If not, then Princess is the way to go, they will provide ground transport. Princess pre book for excursions has some serious issues, "sold out" shows but there is plenty of availability. Make a reservation directly with the vendor, then sign up with Princess on arrival at Copper River Princess Lodge.

Well, looks like we just got to the bottom of it. My friends Kelly and Natalie Bay, both pilots own and operate Wrangell Mt. Air. Kelly just emailed me with the following message:

"Hi Kenny, Thanks for the heads up about the day tour from Princess Lodge. Princess doesn't book our tour in the winter (I have talked to them to no avail) so if someone wants to book they have to call us or e-mail us directly. I think Natalie has found the forum and is posting info on it. Thanks, KB"

Once again, do yourself a favor and book this one, once in a lifetime mountain wilderness experience as well as a first third of the 20th century industrial Alaska history lesson, and hey, I don't own a piece of Wrangell Air either, sometimes wish I did.

• 4 weeks later...

I just started a thread on Copper River as the excursions (multiple) I want to do show as Sold Out - but that has always been the case from date of release. The flight mentioned here isnt even listed. Its disappointing as the options that are left duplicate the next day of the landtour, or hold no interest. How about any fishing tours? Would also be interested in this flight but have no transport.