Tour or stay on ship

saw1953

Crusin: We did a full transit from San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale 10/03/04. We stayed on the ship full transit. We would have missed going throught the Gatun locks if we did a shore excursion. I think they were the best because of the dramatic height change. Plus we hit them later in the afternoon so it was not as hot. The pictures and video after we went through aiming back at the lake clearly showed the locks and what we went through. After the locks the sun was begining to set and the canal was lit beautifully all the way till we got to the peir. I personally thought the second half from the lake to the peir was much more visually interesting than the first part ( other than going under the bridge of the Americas.)

Pier is GREAT shopping. Everything was nice handicrafts. Prices were SO SO cheap we didn't even bargain. There are about 50 vendors. The peir is closed to the public, just ship passengers. There is live music. The Umbara (sp?) Indians even have a stand selling their baskets. The tribesmen are all painted. Their work is amazing. This stop and Puntarenas were the best shopping. I would not have bought ANYTHING in Cabo, Acapulco, or Huatulco, if I knew how much better the selection and prices would be at these two stops.

We did a partial transit with an "Ocean to Ocean" in a small ferry. I don't see the necessity of taking any additional excursions if you do the full transit in the ship. It is pretty much the full flavor of the Panama Canal.

I agree with VikkiGracia that the Cristobal shopping center is great. Tons of vendors, a huge, enclosed mall, and right next to the ship. There really isn't anything else within walking distance of the pier.

..........no reason to take any shore excursions other than the fact that there is more to Panama than the canal. Panama has such a rich history and many different cultures, with several indian tribes including the Cuna, San Blas, and Embera. I would suggest taking a shore excursion where you will see the Panama Canal, Panama City, and some of the local culture, as well as the rainforest. You will absolutely love visiting Panama, and the local handmade crafts are wonderful as well..........so I say, yes, take a shore excursion and explore!

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing a 10 day partial on the Zaandam in November - the first time we have done the canal. I am trying to decide which tour to take - the domed car train or the ferry boat. I am concerned about the time element - will we still have time for shopping at the Pier? Which tour gives the best way to experience the canal for your first time? The domed car sounds great and I know I should make the booking now? But will my DH enjoy it as much as seeing the canal up close and personal on the ferry? Also, I have a bad heart condition and some days, not always, find it difficult walking. Which is the easiest? At first we planned to stay on ship and not do any tours. Do I get the right impression that this would be the wrong step to take? Need help in deciding ASAP. Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes there is a ferry excursion often called "ocean to ocean" or something like that. You will board a smaller boat and do the rest of the canal. There is also a train excursion that runs along the canal to the other coast. The train does not stay directly next to the canal.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree with VikkiGracia that the Cristobal shopping center is great. Tons of vendors, a huge, enclosed mall, and right next to the ship. There really isn't anything else within walking distance of the pier.

Ditto too. I would add when we stopped there were local natives selling their wares. We were also entertained by dancers and musicans. :)

Archived